Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm hoping that someone who was working Uber prior to August 2015 can shed some light on the pricing. The 9 news web site as per below states that Uber hiked their rates by 10% back in August 2015. I thought that the drivers rates were reduced early last year? And then the Uber fees went from 20 to 25 %?. I'm not expecting that Uber will increase prices but here's hoping.

"In the days after the initial ATO ruling in August 2015, Uber hiked its prices by about 10 per cent, meaning there shouldn't be any impact on prices as a result of Friday's Federal Court decision.
Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...t-battle-in-federal-court#A5aZbb6oTtGbfXzJ.99 "

·
Registered
676 Posts
Before I started but I think initial Uber X price was $1.40 then dropped to $1.15. Then after initial GST ruling by ATO went up to $1.25 then was reduced back to $1.00 with Drivers left to foot Uber's share.

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
I'm hoping that someone who was working Uber prior to August 2015 can shed some light on the pricing. The 9 news web site as per below states that Uber hiked their rates by 10% back in August 2015. I thought that the drivers rates were reduced early last year? And then the Uber fees went from 20 to 25 %?. I'm not expecting that Uber will increase prices but here's hoping.

"In the days after the initial ATO ruling in August 2015, Uber hiked its prices by about 10 per cent, meaning there shouldn't be any impact on prices as a result of Friday's Federal Court decision.
Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...t-battle-in-federal-court#A5aZbb6oTtGbfXzJ.99 "
Uber dropped prices Australia wide as a winter TRIAL to increase ridership, June I think at different percentages around the country lower than the 10% rise.

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
Before I started but I think initial Uber X price was $1.40 then dropped to $1.15. Then after initial GST ruling by ATO went up to $1.25 then was reduced back to $1.00 with Drivers left to foot Uber's share.
UberX rates history in Perth is:

Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Number

Based on my data, the price rise on the 7th of August 2015 was enough to cover having to pay GST. The price drop on the 1st of April 2015 was made prior to the whole GST situation developing, so it wasn't done as a preemptive move here in Perth.

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts

View attachment 98112

Based on my data, the price rise on the 7th of August 2015 was enough to cover having to pay GST. The price drop on the 1st of April 2015 was made prior to the whole GST situation developing, so it wasn't done as a preemptive move here in Perth.
There were news articles that stated the ATO informed Uber of the decision long before it went public. In QLD it was evidently a stunt to play the drivers and riders into thinking Uber were doing something good when GST became mandatory. I can only assume its a very similiar scenario around the whole of Australia.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
There were news articles that stated the ATO informed Uber of the decision long before it went public. In QLD it was evidently a stunt to play the drivers and riders into thinking Uber were doing something good when GST became mandatory. I can only assume its a very similiar scenario around the whole of Australia.
That doesn't surprise me. Uber are experts at pulling stunts to deceive people.

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts

View attachment 98112

ATO began consulting with Uber since September 2014, and gave the company a chance to comment more than four months before the taxi industry.

Do you believe Uber knew nothing about GST implications prior to the April price reduction. Uber's plan worked perfectly, hardly anyone knows about any price reductions, let alone more than 1 and pro Uber media outlets are always heavy on mentioning the 10% increase.

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
ATO began consulting with Uber since September 2014, and gave the company a chance to comment more than four months before the taxi industry.

Do you believe Uber knew nothing about GST implications prior to the April price reduction. Uber's plan worked perfectly, hardly anyone knows about any price reductions, let alone more than 1 and pro Uber media outlets are always heavy on mentioning the 10% increase.
I have no doubts that Uber has known about the GST situation for a long time. The facts are though, the price drop in Perth was months ahead of the price drops over east, and 20% rather than 10%. Prima facie, that tells me that there was a different motivation in play. Uber drops prices on a frequent basis, so you can't associate all of the price drops with an imminent taxation issue. Can we somehow link the Feb 2016 price drop to it? I'm sure we could if we try hard enough and bust out our tinfoil hats.

·
Registered
676 Posts
You all have to remember that as you have been collecting GST since you started (at least since ATO made the ruling) you are liable to pay. It won't be a case of paying since the court decision.

·
Banned
1,454 Posts
Yep, drivers are liable for GST on Uber driving from the 1st of August 2015 onwards.
And in your second operating year you also (in addtion to the GST) have to pay quarterly installments of Uber income tax (withholding tax) based on the ATO's estimates based on your first year of operation. That really annoys me because my second year is nothing like my first year !

1 - 20 of 41 Posts