Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Explain that please since what pax pays is separate from what uber pays drivers.
Do you think the cheaper fare or the pay cut is going to Uber or do you I think Uber will cut your pay not theirs

Do you think the cheaper fare or the pay cut is going to Uber or do you I think Uber will cut your pay not theirs
You'll just have to wait and see when they roll this out to the Phoenix Market since right now it is only San Francisco and Los Angeles

·
Registered
1,080 Posts

You'll just have to wait and see when they roll this out to the Phoenix Market since right now it is only San Francisco and Los Angeles
I don't drive anymore. But i do know uber has been incrementally increasing my rider rates for the same exact ride. So i believe this is just a data test to see how riders react to waiting for cheaper fares. You guys forget Uber is just as much as a data collection company as it is rideshare.
Plus, the example given by the Uber employee in which if he waits like 4 minutes longer ($10 v $8, ie 20% less); I don't see that big of a percentage happening for bigger rides. The same dollar amount discount, yes. 20-25% off, no. Last two weeks I've had $4 off 10 rides on my rider account and then $2. I don't see them lowering driver pay again. Especially after the change to surge.

·
Premium Member
4,773 Posts
Looks like a way they are trying to smooth out demand spikes.

Didn't uber use to give the rider an option to wait out surge until it was base rates?

But now they just quote "upfront pricing" and rider doesnt know if its surge or not?

Reactions: FXService

·
Premium Member
11,432 Posts

If anything they are probably trying to save rides, they keep track of everything like when you open a rider app, get a quote and your GPS on your phone gets you to that destination.

They don't know if its Lyft, taxi or friend but they are most likely trying to save this lost business

I doubt drivers pay changes at all assuming there is no surge or samensurge

Reactions: FXService

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Explain that please since what pax pays is separate from what uber pays drivers.
I do believe the poster is correct. If there is a surge but Uber is offering you a lower amount if you'd be willing to wait 10 minutes, do you not think most riders are going to choose the latter? Which means no more surge rides or a lot less of them at major events. But you are right, Uber is in the data collection business, just as much if not more than the rideshare business, so who knows their exact motive for doing this.

Uber looses a lot of business because of surge pricing. They either go with Lyft or visa versa, or they take a cab or other means of transportation.

I'd be willing to bet a lot of people out there will drive to an event because of the unknown factor of what you will pay to get home. If Uber takes that worry away, then it will definitely increase demand, (which is a good thing) but it will also decrease the amount of Pax willing to pay the higher surge price if they are offered a lower price to wait it out a little while.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Uber now tells the passengers that if they wait they get a lower price you will never see a surge again

You weren't going to see these $100 rides you're going to work for peanuts you are not going to see these big paydays again there was a time used to see surge go to 5 x not anymore even up to 8x not not any more but drivers don't get paid surge anymore those were the good old days but not anymore

·
Registered
654 Posts
Uber looses a lot of business because of surge pricing. They either go with Lyft or visa versa, or they take a cab or other means of transportation.
Or as passengers have told me, they just wait out the surge. And some take a short ride out of the surge area, then order another Uber without the surge to their final destination. Maybe Uber is just trying to get them to order upfront and wait anyway, but Uber retains the business rather than have them try alternatives.

·
Premium Member
4,773 Posts
Not that I'm aware of. Why would Uber help pax avoid surge, when Uber makes so much more $$ off surge prices?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bu...l-let-you-know-when-surge-pricing-ends-2014-3

Found it. So back in 2014, if it was surging, the rider app would have a popup. Accept higher surge would help prevent claims that the pax didnt know if it was surging.

In testing "wait for surge to end" might be a few mins. But if it was a sustained surge like a holiday or a big event, it could be a long wait.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts