Uber Drivers Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
I wish someone would pay me sick leave too.

It's funny how these people want the flexibility of setting their own schedule, working either heaps or very little hours, sit around at the airport with their mates and basically work however they like on the platform but expect the benefits of the full time job.

If Uber ever did anything that made them feel like employees (ie. enforcing min acceptance, restricting hours online to set shifts, setting shift targets, forcing them to be in certain areas to be online). They will say where is the flexibility, we are independent contractors.

These are the hardest people to negotiate with because they just want to cherry pick.

·
Premium Member
2,549 Posts
I wish someone would pay me sick leave too.

It's funny how these people want the flexibility of setting their own schedule, working either heaps or very little hours, sit around at the airport with their mates and basically work however they like on the platform but expect the benefits of the full time job.

If Uber ever did anything that made them feel like employees (ie. enforcing min acceptance, restricting hours online to set shifts, setting shift targets, forcing them to be in certain areas to be online). They will say where is the flexibility, we are independent contractors.

These are the hardest people to negotiate with because they just want to cherry pick.
I'd give up the flexibility for all the entitlements... Way I see it is you don't really work your own hours anyway... I've worked every Friday and Saturday for 2 years because that's where the money is... I have no choice... When I decide to wake up at 10am and start driving at 12 I make nothing on my own hours... Uber would force us out into peak times and that's fine because I'm already there

·
Registered
957 Posts
@Scottie B done really easy mate!
its self employment!
if you are self employed do you get holidays NO!
do you get super NO!
do you get sickness benefits NO!
are you making the big bucks so dont worry about it NO!
Do self employed find their own work? Yes.

Do uber drivers find their own work? No.

Do self employed set their own rates? Yes.

Do uber drivers set their own rates? No.

Do self employed know all the details of a job when offered the job? Yes.

Do uber drivers know all the details of a job when offered the job? No.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,196 Posts
Uber insurance covers UE. If she was in/on a vehicle and was hit by another vehicle, she may be covered by TAC or by Workcover .. would make for an interesting test case on whether Uber Eats drivers are classed as employees

If that was the case then I haven't seen anyone been successful with claiming it. Was another UE driver bashed to an inch of his life in Ellenbrook plus many other cases in Perth all been told their independent contractors and you are on ur own from here. Obviously that UE person in the story was in much the same situation.

Reactions: DA08 and Apollo

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
One of the reasons why they take so many Uber eats drivers and I am sure the turn over would be very high as well.

One road was blocked due to a factory being on fire thus resulting in so much time being spent. Cancelled few pings after that and went off line. Kept showing the stupid "You are in busy area, expect trip soon".

Whether you are Habib or Hamish, Ahmed or Alex, this gig is not viable.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,758 Posts
View attachment 309645

(https://image.et.uber.com/lib/fe961...al+Accident+Group+Policy+Coverage+Summary.pdf)

Uber Eats delivery partners whether driving, walking, cycling or travelling by motor bike are definitely covered by Uber's insurance policy with Chubb.

Above is an extract from Chubb's summary of coverage.
Thanks Jack. It is always good to see your facts based on reality, as opposed to some other member's 'facts' which are nothing but opinionated fabrications.

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
One of the reasons why they take so many Uber eats drivers and I am sure the turn over would be very high as well.

One road was blocked due to a factory being on fire thus resulting in so much time being spent. Cancelled few pings after that and went off line. Kept showing the stupid "You are in busy area, expect trip soon".

Whether you are Habib or Hamish, Ahmed or Alex, this gig is not viable.
And you forgot Mohammed and Max. :sneaky:

·
Registered
702 Posts
One thing people tend to forget is that working for the likes of Uber is like starting your own business.
You have to take care of holiday pay, you have to organise medical cover, insurance cover, sickness cover, organise a pension plan.
Have some sort of financial contingency plan if things go wrong.
If the money on offer will not cover these things and give you a good living wage then you must walk away. No point in agreeing to unacceptable terms then complaining about it when things do not go the way you hope.
Most employers don't give damn about their employees, Uber even less about it's "partners".
Sad but true.

·
Premium Member
15,196 Posts
Reactions: DA08 and Apollo

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
One thing people tend to forget is that working for the likes of Uber is like starting your own business.
You have to take care of holiday pay, you have to organise medical cover, insurance cover, sickness cover, organise a pension plan.
Have some sort of financial contingency plan if things go wrong.
If the money on offer will not cover these things and give you a good living wage then you must walk away. No point in agreeing to unacceptable terms then complaining about it when things do not go the way you hope.
Most employers don't give damn about their employees, Uber even less about it's "partners".
Sad but true.
Forgive us Sydney ant.Us ants in Melbourne like to whinge and complain. :redface:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.