Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Funny how times change...
50 years ago if Uber was in business in Chicago, they would have had to have Uber Yiddish.

I just know that somebody is going to nail me to the cross for that comment but I just had to say it anyway. Haha.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
50 years ago if Uber was in business in Chicago, they would have had to have Uber Yiddish.

I just know that somebody is going to nail me to the cross for that comment but I just had to say it anyway. Haha.
A friend was doing the InstaCart thing and a seniors daughter put in a special request for challah bread on the shopping list for a run-of-the-mill Jewel (obviously it's not shown on the list of available items on the app). So he's searching up and down the aisles and had to scratch that off the list. She told him "they never have that there and I don't know why she always requests it". And I said they probably haven't carried it in 50 years either. That particular Jewel in that neighborhood now always has purple and strawberry drank and gallons of vegetable oil on sale on every end cap though.

·
24,263 Posts
.........and Uber Sicilia and Uber Campania.................

I can not speak Sicilian or Napolitano, but I can understand them. Most speakers of those dialects can at least understand Standard Italian, as well.

It is funny to watch The Godfather. When they are speaking "Italian", they go back and forth from Siciliano to Standard Italian, even in the scenes that take place in Sicily.

While I do not disagree with the "This is an English speaking country" point of view, I can not state that I blame Uber for doing this. My Taxi had this option. My cab company used to honour those requests. If you do get a non-Anglophone passenger, you do not know what to do, unless you can speak their language. Yes, some of them do write down the address, or, key it into the application, but, even with that, there are times when you must communicate with your passenger.

I have had more than one passenger who spoke Spanish, only. In fact, I had two to-day. One had a small daughter who had a limited command of English, but even she had a hard time telling me what mamacita wanted. I let them try in English, first. You would have paid to see the look of relief on the mother's face when I started to ask her in Spanish where I was supposed to take her. It was Salamanca Spanish with a heavy cadenza italiana, yes it was, but she had a much better time with me once she was able to communicate with me. She went as far as to ask me if I worked the area regullarly and could she call me. I gave her a card, but I did tell her that I drove only part-time, but she could call me if she wanted to.

The point here is that I might not have had those two fares had I not spoken Spanish to them. These people might try something else if they can not get a driver who will communicate with them.

On another note, I did have an Afghan family whose members barely spoke English. Mother seemed the best at it. I can not speak Pashuto or Dari, but they knew how to say "Taraghitt, forateenasreet", and, when we arrived, "how mashee". I showed them a screen with the amount. They gave me the twenty, I made the change, they gave me two dollars for a tip. Allright.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
A friend was doing the InstaCart thing and a seniors daughter put in a special request for challah bread on the shopping list for a run-of-the-mill Jewel (obviously it's not shown on the list of available items on the app). So he's searching up and down the aisles and had to scratch that off the list. She told him "they never have that there and I don't know why she always requests it". And I said they probably haven't carried it in 50 years either. That particular Jewel in that neighborhood now always has purple and strawberry drank and gallons of vegetable oil on sale on every end cap though.
^^^
There's a Jewish deli over on the West Side here in Vegas and the sign isn't even in English... just a Star of David and some Hebrew writing.
I go in there all the time because a few times a month they sell their home made franks with the natural casing. Fantastic!
They do a land office business.
They even sell those giant pickles in a barrel that if you take a couple of bites, your ears start sweating.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
.........and Uber Sicilia and Uber Campania.................

I can not speak Sicilian or Napolitano, but I can understand them. Most speakers of those dialects can at least understand Standard Italian, as well.

It is funny to watch The Godfather. When they are speaking "Italian", they go back and forth from Siciliano to Standard Italian, even in the scenes that take place in Sicily.

While I do not disagree with the "This is an English speaking country" point of view, I can not state that I blame Uber for doing this. My Taxi had this option. My cab company used to honour those requests. If you do get a non-Anglophone passenger, you do not know what to do, unless you can speak their language. Yes, some of them do write down the address, or, key it into the application, but, even with that, there are times when you must communicate with your passenger.

I have had more than one passenger who spoke Spanish, only. In fact, I had two to-day. One had a small daughter who had a limited command of English, but even she had a hard time telling me what mamacita wanted. I let them try in English, first. You would have paid to see the look of relief on the mother's face when I started to ask her in Spanish where I was supposed to take her. It was Salamanca Spanish with a heavy cadenza italiana, yes it was, but she had a much better time with me once she was able to communicate with me. She went as far as to ask me if I worked the area regullarly and could she call me. I gave her a card, but I did tell her that I drove only part-time, but she could call me if she wanted to.

The point here is that I might not have had those two fares had I not spoken Spanish to them. These people might try something else if they can not get a driver who will communicate with them.

On another note, I did have an Afghan family whose members barely spoke English. Mother seemed the best at it. I can not speak Pashuto or Dari, but they knew how to say "Taraghitt, forateenasreet", and, when we arrived, "how mashee". I showed them a screen with the amount. They gave me the twenty, I made the change, they gave me two dollars for a tip. Allright.[/QUOTE

^^^
Target on 14th. St?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
^^^
There's a Jewish deli over on the West Side here in Vegas and the sign isn't even in English... just a Star of David and some Hebrew writing.
I go in there all the time because a few times a month they sell their home made franks with the natural casing. Fantastic!
They do a land office business.
They even sell those giant pickles in a barrel that if you take a couple of bites, your ears start sweating.
There's actually a real Jewish deli left in Chicago. They have REAL bagels and ruebens that are the best. Surprisingly, it's called The Bagel and (oh no, I might get censored) it's all Mexicans working there.....interesting, huh? And they had salt bagels. Most people here think they will die if they eat one (there's more sodium in a McDonald's chocolate shake than a large order of their fries).

All, or most, of the Einstein Bagels places have shut down here. Always hated their overpriced wannabe junk anyway. They were flavored bread shaped like a bagel. There's also a "NYC Bagel" in uppityville/trendyland here. Their "bagels" were bread too but most don't know the difference. In a decade here I've never, ever found a sourdough rye like that available anywhere in Metro Detroit. Or the fresh Italian loaves shipped over from Windsor, Ontario, Canada every day. The simple things in life......

·
24,263 Posts
sourdough rye like that available anywhere in Metro Detroit.
Sourdough rye, -eh? It must be an interesting twist on the San Francisco sourdough. Do you eat it when you drink Stroh's beer? or Vernor's ginger ale? Do they still brew Stroh's? I know that they still sell Vernor's. It was indeed sad, though, when Wendy's stopped selling it.

I never did spend much time in Detroit, even when I drove a truck in Canada. I am familiar with the aforementioned beverages, but I can not state that I ever had heard of sourdough rye.

The only thing around here that comes even close to the S.F. sourdough is Safeway's. Giant sells a seven grain sourdough, but it really does not taste like a sourdough.

Reactions: Uber-Doober

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
There's actually a real Jewish deli left in Chicago. They have REAL bagels and ruebens that are the best. Surprisingly, it's called The Bagel and (oh no, I might get censored) it's all Mexicans working there.....interesting, huh? And they had salt bagels. Most people here think they will die if they eat one (there's more sodium in a McDonald's chocolate shake than a large order of their fries).

All, or most, of the Einstein Bagels places have shut down here. Always hated their overpriced wannabe junk anyway. They were flavored bread shaped like a bagel. There's also a "NYC Bagel" in uppityville/trendyland here. Their "bagels" were bread too but most don't know the difference. In a decade here I've never, ever found a sourdough rye like that available anywhere in Metro Detroit.
^^^
Yeah, we have a few Einstein's here in Vegas.
Not impressed.
I remember the smell of Marv's Deli in North Hollywood when I was a kid... it used to knock you in the face when you opened the door.... corn beef, roast beef, all the meats, and huge Matzohs floating in something that looked like a giant fish tank.
GREAT place... even with sawdust on the floor, and their kids would work there after school.
And these days you never get meat wrapped in that white paper that comes off the giant roll.... unless you know where to find it.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^^^
Yeah, we have a few Einstein's here in Vegas.
Not impressed.
I remember the smell of Marv's Deli in North Hollywood when I was a kid... it used to knock you in the face when you opened the door.... corn beef, roast beef, all the meats, and huge Matzohs floating in something that looked like a giant fish tank.
GREAT place... even with sawdust on the floor, and their kids would work there after school.
And these days you never get meat wrapped in that white paper that comes off the giant roll.... unless you know where to find it.
Times have changed. The former Einstein's in the indie "we hate chain places" neighborhood in Chicago will now be an Asian/Mexican "fusion" joint that sells kale out the backdoor. And when that trend fades it will be a Taco Bell Express much to the horror of the locals but will thrive for at least 1.5 decades.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Solo da la opcion de pedir un conductor bilingue, eso es todo
Only gives the option to request a bilingual driver, that's all

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Solo da la opcion de pedir un conductor bilingue, eso es todo
Only gives the option to request a bilingual driver, that's all
In the effort to keep it all in "La Raza", that's all.

I had two other occupations where you would immediately cut my phone greeting off with "IS THERE ANYONE THERE THAT SPEAKS SPANISH?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!". My response would be "I can understand you just fine, what can I help you with today?" and proceed with the consultation and sale. Welcome to America. Nobody is here to serve your hiney and we've been on to this BS for decades now. My U.S. born and raised Mexican neighbor even said "Don't put up with their shit".

Now the Uber bilingual thing us another story. No words need be spoken at all. You push a button to request a driver, enter the destination and feel free to say "Hola" when entering the car. Payment is "silent" via your credit card on file too. Again, no words need be spoken. A nod and wave in appreciation is a universal language.

Form your own Latino Uber. America is a land of opportunity.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
i bet that kari has a 4.2 rating, typical , you are just a driver dont talk to me *****.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Relax. It's just a stupid little button and I guarantee you most people won't even care to slide it over. As a driver, you have to opt-into UberEspañol, so don't worry about getting pax con la expectativa de que el conductor hable solamente español.

Some people just want to talk to someone in their own language. Some people don't want to talk to anyone. It's all okay.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i bet that kari has a 4.2 rating, typical , you are just a driver dont talk to me *****.
What they didn't realize is that I wasn't trying to talk to them but I am owed a confirmation of their name to ensure I was picking up the right passenger. Couldn't answer other than that "nnnnnt" sound through their nose? Out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts