Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here do the Xchange Lease program? Can any of you tell me anything about it locally? Hidden fees for returning early? Average price per week on the lease? What do you pay for and what does Uber cover?

Just some good detailed information would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,489 Posts
Does anyone here do the Xchange Lease program? Can any of you tell me anything about it locally? Hidden fees for returning early? Average price per week on the lease? What do you pay for and what does Uber cover?

Ask New2This he uses the lease program.

·
Banned
1,875 Posts

Don't do it, mang! It's predatory. They will ask for $500-$800 a month for the car lease. Don't do it, mang!

·
Premium Member
25,676 Posts
My entire Uber experience started with the Xchange Lease Program. The only car I've used for Uber is the Xchange car. I've been doing it since January. These are my experiences and opinions; your mileage may vary.

I have nothing bad to say about the Xchange Lease Program. It's what they say it is. You have a weekly payment that they deduct from your Uber earnings. The last few weeks they've done a promotion where if you're in the Xchange Lease Program & you do 40 rides in a week you get a $75 bonus; 75 rides you get a $150 bonus. My payment is around $100/week, so I've had the car payment, a tank of gas and a burrito taken care of by the promotion.

Qualifying is amazingly easy. Fill out the application, they email you that you qualified and you get a list of participating dealers. I went through Wesley at Alexandria Toyota by Potomac Yards. If I had it to do over again, I'd have gone to Jim Coleman Honda in Columbia for a look at their inventory; I'm partial to Honda. I had a shitty interaction with a stereotypical bad salesman over the phone. The sales manager called me a few weeks later & said the bad salesman was no longer there. I wrote about this elsewhere.

You can go brand spanking new or used. I personally went used. Prices for new, both at dealer as well as talking to a few drivers at the DCA U.N. Refugee Camp, run $170-$195/week. That's pricey to me. I'm in a used Camry/Altima/Accord size/style car. I'm 6'5" so a Sentra/Corolla would've meant paying at least as much to the chiropractor as I pay for the car.

Insurance- I assume from your profile you're in VA. If so, you're gonna get screwed by the lizard like a kid in a Penn State shower on insurance. GEICO (at the moment) is the only provider I've found that has rideshare insurance coverage. You do NOT want to try to hide it from your insurance company. I got a separate policy that covers the Xchange car. It was $200 down, $150/month. Pricey but worth it.

Maintenance is included. Alexandria Toyota is a bit of a pain; they only do Xchange oil changes on Sundays. I've done Wal-Mart and Merchants before since Sundays are a pain in the ass to get around with no car. I recently got an email that makes me think I can get maintenance done at any participating Xchange dealer. If so will update.

Unlimited Mileage- it's awesome. I drive the shit out of the car. Had to go to Gainesville Florida a while back on very short notice. Drove it down there & back. Drive it for my day business. Drove it for Lyft before the Metal Bonuses turned my into UbersHarlot. Basically I drive it all over.

Haven't had any experience giving it back at end of lease yet. I haven't seen anything bad about that on the board yet.. I'm sure if there was something bad we'd hear all about it.

Overall it's been positive. My biggest pet peeve is they limit you to base class.of vehicles. So no sunroof/heated seats/leather. Otherwise it was easy. Get approved, get insurance FIRST, go to a dealer, bring $250, pick car, give dealer $250, sign paperwork, drive off.

Whether it's right for you depends on your situation. So far I've been pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've had the same experience as New2This. Nothing bad to say about the program so far but hope it goes as smoothly when it's time to give the car back.

For someone doing this full time and with the incentive program it's been working out well, but I try to put in a lot of hours. Doing this part time, it may not be worth the weekly payment unless you have another job to cover it in case you don't drive that week. But if you don't want the wear and tear on your car or don't have a car, its something to look into.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts

Only way u should do it is if you're gonna work FT w/ uber. And get one of the cheaper cars. Probably gonna be about $120/week. With the reward programs going on in this area you can easily make a $1k+/week FT.

Don't do it if you're not gonna drive FT. It's not worth it to make $300-$400/week and have to give uber 1/3 of your earnings.

$250 down payment. $250 to get out of the lease.

But even if you do it you should put money to the side and get your own car.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I have my own car that I've been using so far but I'd rather not put the wear and tear on it. I'd be working close to full time with it while I study.

·
Premium Member
26,816 Posts
The key is knowing what you are getting into before you get into it, assessing your needs and making sure that what you are getting into meets your needs. This is what New2This did. This is why it worked out for him. He has posted extensively on it. I assume that ubergrrldc did similarly, although she has not posted on it as extensively as has New2This has.

The last few weeks they've done a promotion I've had the car payment, a tank of gas and a burrito taken care of by the promotion.
(emphasis mine)

I am assuming that it is not a Seven/Eleven or Taco Hell burrito, as you would have been de-activated by now for excessive one-stars.

·
Premium Member
25,676 Posts
(emphasis mine)

I am assuming that it is not a Seven/Eleven or Taco Hell burrito, as you would have been de-activated by now for excessive one-stars.
California Tortilla Barbecue Ranch with extra spicy BBQ sauce. Think the campfire scene in Blazing Saddles. Lets me fight back against the that refuse to bathe or use Right Guard on 95+ degree days...

·
Premium Member
25,676 Posts
The key is knowing what you are getting into before you get into it, assessing your needs and making sure that what you are getting into meets your needs. This is what New2This did. This is why it worked out for him. He has posted extensively on it. I assume that ubergrrldc did similarly, although she has not posted on it as extensively as has New2This has.
I did do a lot of research. I also had an attorney review the agreement. Nothing majorly bad in it.

I initially got the car & did the Xchange Lease Program as a way to get a nicer new car. I thought I'd do enough to just cover the lease & GEICO policy. Between becoming a Bart McCoy-like surger & the Money Metal Bonuses program, I'm making more than I thought & am doing Uber way more than I expected.

If Uber kills the Money Metal Bonuses program, they get my two weeks notice & then I'll find out how hard returning the car is.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
What I'd ESPECIALLY like to know is; If a person decides that he or she wants to return the car, after the 30 days and WITH 2 weeks notice like it claims you can do, are you still going to be held accountable for the remaining lease due or remaining value of the car. That's something that hasn't been clearly stated anywhere by Uber. The only thing I can find is a $250 disposition fee which MAY or MAY NOT be covered by the initial $250 deposit by the way it reads. It mentions something along the lines of being able to offset the $250 disposition with the $250 deposit...

on a side note....DAMN the Dulles lot is packed. Surprised I'm not hearing "prayer calls" blasting out of a loudspeaker right now too... *smirky face emoticonification*

·
Premium Member
25,676 Posts
Someone asked for the Xchange Lease Incentives I mentioned. Here they are...

Font Gadget Screenshot Communication Device Mobile device

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
I did do a lot of research. I also had an attorney review the agreement. Nothing majorly bad in it.

I initially got the car & did the Xchange Lease Program as a way to get a nicer new car. I thought I'd do enough to just cover the lease & GEICO policy. Between becoming a Bart McCoy-like surger & the Money Metal Bonuses program, I'm making more than I thought & am doing Uber way more than I expected.

If Uber kills the Money Metal Bonuses program, they get my two weeks notice & then I'll find out how hard returning the car is.
Two weeks notice?? That's an employee/employer courtesy. Certainly none of us are the former.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts