Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The average is $10.90 usd per hour :(

Friggin sad. But only because they use phrases like 'start earning big' in their marketing. That phrase was repeated over and over in the incessant emails I received after completing half my driver signup process. I stopped half way because of the things I learned about Uber forcing me to pay the public's HST responsibilities, which I refuse to do.

·
Premium Member
4,851 Posts

Friggin sad. But only because they use phrases like 'start earning big' in their marketing. That phrase was repeated over and over in the incessant emails I received after completing half my driver signup process. I stopped half way because of the things I learned about Uber forcing me to pay the public's HST responsibilities, which I refuse to do.
You mean Uber Drivers don't make over $25/hour like several drivers on this site suggest, yet are unwilling to prove it by posting their current invoice lol.

Djino
"glad we no longer need to continue the delusions in this thread "

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
This simply cannot be true.

The only statistics Uber has is drivers revenue per hour. Meaning how much money is left for an Uber driver per hour after Uber's commission.

It simply cannot be $10 per hour, because in that case the actual driver's average earning would be around $6-7 per hour after all the expenses.

And if anyone is willing to work for $6-7 per hour, this person must seek immediate help with a medical health institution. Now I understand there are people out there like that, but average? That's just not realistic.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts

The only statistics Uber has is drivers revenue per hour. Meaning how much money is left for an Uber driver per hour after Uber's commission.

It simply cannot be $10 per hour, because in that case the actual driver's average earning would be around $6-7 per hour after all the expenses.

And if anyone is willing to work for $6-7 per hour, this person must seek immediate help with a medical health institution. Now I understand there are people out there like that, but average? That's just not realistic.
Most drivers dont know how to calculate their actual earnings. The majority don't even last a year so are true amatuers that know next to nothing about the true costs of operating their vehicles. This number is in line with other estimates from pros who use verified numbers to calculate the costs. Yes the average hourly earnings for Uber are well below minimum wage. How does Uber get away with this? The ignorance of amateur drivers, delay in seeing the main costs of using your vehicle as a taxi- depreciation and repairs, rapid turnover, fraudulent advertising, desperation/unemployment/destitution of drivers.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
This data is not even accurate. Hours spent while online is considerably lower than time spent ubering. Also the miles are likely much lower. True earnings are below min wage.
Given the type of organization Uber is, would expect them to skew earnings upward as much as possible in their 'models', you know they want any excuse to squeeze drivers even more. Bet you real earnings are half that number. Uber could care less about real data, they are looking for gamed data to present their illusion of growth and profitability.

·
Premium Member
8,150 Posts

These are US rates. Very high unemployment and very little social assistance.

People do what they need to do to survive.

It most likely is true.

·
Registered
246 Posts

The story is kind of complicated but the estimates do include some some driver expenses. The data came from Uber but some of the methods used came from BuzzFeed:
A BuzzFeed News review of the rough internal net pay estimates contained in the leaked documents determined that the models Uber used are highly abstracted and oversimplify certain key calculations. Rather than relying on Uber's figures, BuzzFeed News conducted an independent analysis of the raw trip data and driver data. Uber subsequently recalculated BuzzFeed's estimates using a broader and more detailed set of internal data - which it declined to share directly with BuzzFeed News. The company did, however, conduct this recalculation according to BuzzFeed News' methodology - which it said was "solid" - and did so in the presence of a BuzzFeed News editor and reporter.
Here are some details on part of the methodology:
Contractors drive a $16,000 vehicle, which has a 250,000-mile lifetime, resulting in depreciation costs of 6.4 cents per mile. (For each city, the Uber spreadsheets all assumed a 250,000-mile lifetime, but used slightly different car-cost assumptions: $20,213 in Denver, and $16,000 in Houston and Detroit.)

Gas costs drivers $1.75 per gallon, and the vehicle gets 25 miles per gallon of gas, resulting in gas costs of 7 cents per mile. (The Houston spreadsheet used these figures; the Detroit spreadsheet used $1.63 per gallon and 25 miles per gallon, while the Denver spreadsheet used $1.79 per gallon and 28 miles per gallon. Historical prices from GasBuddy.com show gas costing around $1.75 per gallon, or slightly higher, for the three cities in mid-December.)

Drivers incur no per-mile expenses while not matched with a ride request. This assumption underestimates total costs; the spreadsheets, however, provided no data on miles driven while not matched with a fare.

Insurance, maintenance, and miscellaneous costs add up to $3,000 per year. (Here, the data entered into Uber's internal spreadsheets varies somewhat widely: $6,000 per year in Detroit, $3,137 in Denver, and $2,500 in Detroit. We selected a conservative middle ground between these figures.)

A "typical" full-time contractor for Uber works for 40 hours per week, 50 weeks per year, which would translate to annual expenses accounting for approximately $1.50 per hour ($3,000/2,000 hours) in each market.​

So we see that there is allowance for depreciation, maintenance, insurance and gas but not dead miles or time spent off the app on car cleaning, record keeping and arranging for maintenance. So the actual hourly rates in the 3 cities would be lower.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So the actual hourly rates in the 3 cities would be lower.​

I agree re: lower.

I wouldn't think it was so bad if Uber didn't deceive so grossly, with respect to drivers' earnings potential. It's a sucker's game as far as I'm concerned. Today my company hired me to drive a flatbed...$22/hr plus $.45/km plus full benefits. Not my truck, not my fuel, not my insurance, and I don't have to absorb everyone's HST out of my earnings.

UBER EXPLOITS GOOD PEOPLE.

UBER PREYS ON IGNORANCE.

·
Registered
417 Posts

Hahaha... interesting point of view. but it's right,I think.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I'd be fascinated to know what parts of the country have buck-seventy-five gas. Here in SoCal it was $3.15/gal for 87 octane last time I filled up.

Despite the problems with the calculations I give Buzzfeed props for at least trying to give reasonably accurate (low) income numbers. Rather than the BS that's been spewed about driver earnings for the past few years.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
The funniest thing is that you have some investors who promote "doing the right thing" ...YET they invest in such an unethical company like Uber:
It's all just cynical horse-shit to impress the lumpen who can't be bothered to even scratch the surface to see what's underneath.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"Since you are an independent contractor, Uber does not collect the HST for you. Therefore it is your responsibility to see that you fulfill any personal obligations related to it. I want to clarify that payment for Uber rides solely is to be facilitated through the App, so you should not solicit Partners for cash for any reason."

This was ultimately the deal-breaker email for me. Uber is a Sleazeball company IMO.

I'm trying to find the email they sent me during the sign up process that said they'd guarantee me $4700 earnings in my first month if I drove 40 hours per week and maintained a 4.5 rating or higher if I completed my first ride before June 1st. I'm in Durham Region lol. After several weeks of research I now know this was some kind of scam (in my opinion).

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was pretty shocked myself when I started looking at my hourly wage. Not that I was nearly as analytical or data-driven about it, but I could certainly see that the per-hour earnings were low, low, low.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts