Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Each time I pick up someone from an illegal pick-up area, especially in the CBD, I try to educate them about the illegal spots where they shouldn't stand when requesting a ride. Every one of them said that they didn't know about that and they thanked me for letting them know.
Uber is lying to the drivers when we complain about riders requesting uber from illegal spots in saying that they are constantly educating the riders. That's a lie. Uber wants to offer max convenience to the riders because they are the ones that pay. Uber doesn't care about the drivers if we get a fine. They actually penalise us if we don't accept requests or cancel when accepting. They want us to take that risk without saying it that way. That's crap!
Last night, I risked it and picked up a guy from a bus zone in the city. He was upset when I started educating him about the illegal spots. He told me to apologise, after I told him to go and get stuffed, he reported me to uber for unprofessionalism followed with one star.
You know what, no more educating the riders. If not safe, I cancel.
Never rely on uber again and if they want to ban my account after reading this post, so be it.

·
Premium Member
4,278 Posts
You cannot do legal pickups in the cbd. This isn't the fault of uber or riders.

I don't blame someone for not wanting to take the risk of a fine but if that's your choice, you should go offline in the cbd.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Breathe. It is unprofessional to tell him to go and get f'd so yeah you deserved your 1*. One bad rating isnt going to affect you though and if he was being a jerk i assume you also 1*'d him too which will no doubt affect his rating way more that it will affect yours. Not that ratings seem to matter that much anyway.
Most drivers also have rider accounts so they know that Uber hasnt done anything about educating riders. It's up to drivers to educate pax on where to wait for pickups. After all its us that have to pick them up. That said perhaps you need to work on how you go about educating them, tone of voice etc. Its not normal for someone to tell you to apologise if you merely said something along the lines of "I actually cant legally stop in a bus zone, so next time you order an Uber could you please try to find a legal spot for the driver to collect you or they may end up cancelling on you". If you had a go at the guy and called him names, or got angry etc then your message wont be heard as well and you're more likely to just put him off using the platform all together.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Each time I pick up someone from an illegal pick-up area, especially in the CBD, I try to educate them about the illegal spots where they shouldn't stand when requesting a ride. Every one of them said that they didn't know about that and they thanked me for letting them know.
Uber is lying to the drivers when we complain about riders requesting uber from illegal spots in saying that they are constantly educating the riders. That's a lie. Uber wants to offer max convenience to the riders because they are the ones that pay. Uber doesn't care about the drivers if we get a fine. They actually penalise us if we don't accept request or cancel when accepting. They want us to take that risk without saying that way. That's cap!
Last night, I risked it and picked up a guy from a bus zone in the city. He was upset when I started educating him about the illegal spots. He told me to apologise, after I told him to go and get f***d, he reported me to uber for unprofessionalism followed with one star.
You know what, no more educating the riders. If not safe, I cancel the f***er.
Never rely on uber again and if they want to ban my account after reading this post, so be it.
Its hard to educate riders about pick laws. They usually are in going out moods and dont want to know, or too drunk to understand. From there pov its not really there problem as majority of them have been picked up in illegal spots before, without issues. If a driver continues and tries to educate after the pax doesnt show much interest than im not saying all but some pax do think what a rule crazy driver. Yes they may rate u down. So ill continue to try and educate when i can depending on the scenario. Yes uber does need to do more in pax apps about educating pax. I can understand ur frustration and and it has probably been built up over time. We can all explode at certain points but hopefully not to a point that we cause an issue. If educating whilst driving is not working on some pax dont get upset, dont try and save the world because u cant. I also think some pax at times do deserve to be told off, even though i dont do it. id just play it by scenario when picking up pax i think.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In reality, I didn't use any bad words with that guy. When I started educating him, then he said whose fault is it, well I said it yours not mine. Then he got upset and told me to apologise. I said, I don't believe that I said anything wrong to apologise. That's all that earned me 1* and a report to uber.
I will definitely change the way I drive for uber.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Berbero some people are always gonna be idiots. Kudos to you for trying but you may be shoveling mud up a hill. Idiots are difficult to educate.

Pick your battles. It would be a shame if you were removed because a passenger pushed your buttons.

·
Premium Member
10,292 Posts
We are fighting a losing battle here. ..

Just do your best to educate...better to include it as a conversation than to berate the rider just as they are getting in...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Uber is lying to the drivers when we complain about riders requesting uber from illegal spots in saying that they are constantly educating the riders. That's a lie. Uber wants to offer max convenience to the riders because they are the ones that pay. Uber doesn't care about the drivers if we get a fine. They actually penalise us if we don't accept requests or cancel when accepting. They want us to take that risk without saying it that way. That's crap!
Last night, I risked it and picked up a guy from a bus zone in the city. He was upset when I started educating him about the illegal spots. He told me to apologise, after I told him to go and get f***d, he reported me to uber for unprofessionalism followed with one star.
You know what, no more educating the riders. If not safe, I cancel the f***er.
Could not agree more.
Uber is deceitful. It is criminal what they are doing because it is a blatant lie

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Don't waste your time educating passangers. As Mulder99 said, that's a losing battle.

Just be smart and know when you can do a illegal pick and when you cannot. Check your mirrors, look for cops and rangers, stop and move out very quickly. If passangers takes to long to come in, tell them to HURRY UP!

To drop off, search for best spot to stop (like a driveway) and tell them you can't stop exactly where they want because it's ilegal. If you really need to stop in a terrible spot, tell them to go out quickly - that should take 3 seconds.

It's easy, you just need to communicate with the passanger and be smart.

·
Premium Member
16,394 Posts
Breathe. It is unprofessional to tell him to go and get f'd so yeah you deserved your 1*. One bad rating isnt going to affect you though and if he was being a jerk i assume you also 1*'d him too which will no doubt affect his rating way more that it will affect yours. Not that ratings seem to matter that much anyway.
Most drivers also have rider accounts so they know that Uber hasnt done anything about educating riders. It's up to drivers to educate pax on where to wait for pickups. After all its us that have to pick them up. That said perhaps you need to work on how you go about educating them, tone of voice etc. Its not normal for someone to tell you to apologise if you merely said something along the lines of "I actually cant legally stop in a bus zone, so next time you order an Uber could you please try to find a legal spot for the driver to collect you or they may end up cancelling on you". If you had a go at the guy and called him names, or got angry etc then your message wont be heard as well and you're more likely to just put him off using the platform all together.
SydneyUber Chick, you are so calm and rational it is scary :)

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Re pax being in illegal positions..
For the past century, pax have just walked to the kerb and waved their arm to the next passing cab ( in horse drawn days, called a handsome cab) and the cab would stop, they'd get in, cabbie asking, " where we off to gov?" And away they went...
And the police and rangers generally turned a blind eye to the illegality of the position that they stopped in
Uber's on the other hand are just private cars...
Do you really think that in the 2-3 years that uber has been operating in Sydney, that they'll change a century of ingrained habits...

Btw, in the cbd i ring all pax to confirm or set up a pick up location...

" Now driver, next time please don't presume to teach me about such trivialities as where you can and can't stop !!!"

·
Premium Member
4,278 Posts
I doubt they would go back to taxis. What's the alternative to Uber? There is none. They will keep using it but whine about it to their friends about how bad Uber has become.
They certainly are turning to taxis in the cbd.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
What's the point of even sharing anything in a forum if there is 0% frustration!!
Silly me thought it was a place to share information, experiences etc. Not make up crap and then say "oh no I didnt really say that" when people point out that perhaps that wasnt the best way to handle a situation.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
If it's surging in the city and I'm only going a short distance, why fluff around with Uber, step to the kerb, raise my arm and signal the next cab that passes.
Get in the back on the crap worn out seat and give destination..
And not get a lecture about my chosen pick up location.
Not that cabs are particularly good, but they do serve a purpose.

·
Premium Member
10,292 Posts
Never thought I would say this but fine the riders as well as the driver.......bet that would educate them far better than we ever could.
Not going to happen I'm afraid,

The only thing in our control is to

call pax to move to legal spot
cancel ping
Down rate them
Park legally and ask pax to come over

The CBD is just going to get worst, peak hour is just really a no go zone...

The times I get a crappy short fare like city to Surry hills and takes 15 mins to complete for a $8 fare is not worth it..

I only do cbd if a pax from the burbs takes me there and I try to get a fare out of there asap during peak hour..

1 - 20 of 42 Posts