Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Yesterday I sent an email to support regarding EWR, asking about compensation should I receive a ticket for picking up or dropping off. I specifically mentioned that the "operating a taxi without a license" type ticket is very expensive, and will Uber either Reimburse me to cover the ticket, or actually pay it. At first they just said "We have your back".. yea just a LITTLE vague.. So I replied I want a specific yes or no will Uber reimburse me should I get such a ticket. They came back with Yes you will get reimbursed, but moving and parking violations are on me. If anyone is interested I can paste the email here for your own review. I'm still most likely staying away from EWR even with this news release because its still too new, and who knows how long this will take to filter down to the cops at EWR...

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
A city/town/municipality cannot override the laws of a state, a state cannot override the laws of the federal government. This is one of the core tenants of the United States.

The state of NJ has laws that do not make any allowances for Uber or Lyft. I think they should change those laws but they have not.

It makes absolutely no difference what Newark announced today for the majority of us driving UberX in NJ, it's still against state law and I think the Port Authority Police are going to continue to enforce the state laws just as they have always done.

Possibly this allows the NYC UberX cars to operate legally at Newark Airport, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Listen guy, you must not know how the United States really works. The constitution/law/judicial system/judges/police/mayors/state/united states is ALL for sale and if you have the right amount of money in your offshore accounts, any corporation can do as they please, namely Travis Kalanick et al. Try telling the Koch brothers or the oil magnates they can't do what they want. At this point Uber has enough money and clout to keep every one on payroll. They have all the lobbyists and special interest groups paid to the nines and on vacation in Tahiti eating cavier and drinking fine wines. "The mortgage must be paid." Uber on.

A city/town/municipality cannot override the laws of a state, a state cannot override the laws of the federal government. This is one of the core tenants of the United States.

The state of NJ has laws that do not make any allowances for Uber or Lyft. I think they should change those laws but they have not.

It makes absolutely no difference what Newark announced today for the majority of us driving UberX in NJ, it's still against state law and I think the Port Authority Police are going to continue to enforce the state laws just as they have always done.

Possibly this allows the NYC UberX cars to operate legally at Newark Airport, I'm not sure.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Yesterday I sent an email to support regarding EWR, asking about compensation should I receive a ticket for picking up or dropping off. I specifically mentioned that the "operating a taxi without a license" type ticket is very expensive, and will Uber either Reimburse me to cover the ticket, or actually pay it. At first they just said "We have your back".. yea just a LITTLE vague.. So I replied I want a specific yes or no will Uber reimburse me should I get such a ticket. They came back with Yes you will get reimbursed, but moving and parking violations are on me. If anyone is interested I can paste the email here for your own review. I'm still most likely staying away from EWR even with this news release because its still too new, and who knows how long this will take to filter down to the cops at EWR...
Please do it, screenshot the email or copy/paste it... Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Please do it, screenshot the email or copy/paste it... Thanks.
Question: Regarding the recent email about policies that could deactivate me. It says that partners are required to meet the regulatory requirements for rides hare in my area (New Jersey). Does this mean that if I pick up at Newark Airport (or anywhere else for that matter.. hoboken, etc) and relieve a citation for picking up passengers, will uber compensate me for the ticket? Police are saying that picking up at EWR without a taxi license or permits is illegal. Same goes for hoboken.. Please clarify that Uber will help me in case I do recieve a ticket for picking up a passenger.

UBER:
Thank you for reaching out, .

All partners can pick up and drop off at Newark Airport, although local authorities have been ticketing some partners lately. Uber will have our partners' backs if they face enforcement.

Although, Drivers must follow the rules of the road as well as applicable traffic laws. You are responsible for resolving any incident that results from these violations, as we cannot assist with the payment of fees associated with moving or parking violations for your vehicle.

Apologies for any disappointment and if you have further questions, don't hesitate to let me know.

Sent by SA on Tuesday April 26 2016 9:24pm

ME:
So are you saying if I do get a citation for picking up a passenger or dropping off a passenger, I can send in a copy of the citation and Uber will either pay it or reimburse me? I understand I am responsible for other types of parking and moving violations. But the "operating a taxi without a license" type of citation is expensive and I need to know that Uber will cover this if I were to recieve such a citation. Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S® 6, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

UBER:
That's correct, William. Many jurisdictions have not yet determined if or how to regulate innovative new services like Uber. We are actively working with the appropriate regulatory bodies to provide that clarity for our riders and partners.
Since all partners can pick up and drop off at Newark Airport without any additional documents needed, we will have your back when you get a citation for this reason. Should you ever receive any fines or summons because of your use of the Uber app, please send us a copy right away and we will follow up with you.
Let us know if we can help with anything else.

Sent by Therese on Tuesday April 26 2016 10:52pm

·
Registered
262 Posts
Question: Regarding the recent email about policies that could deactivate me. It says that partners are required to meet the regulatory requirements for rides hare in my area (New Jersey). Does this mean that if I pick up at Newark Airport (or anywhere else for that matter.. hoboken, etc) and relieve a citation for picking up passengers, will uber compensate me for the ticket? Police are saying that picking up at EWR without a taxi license or permits is illegal. Same goes for hoboken.. Please clarify that Uber will help me in case I do recieve a ticket for picking up a passenger.

UBER:
Thank you for reaching out, .

All partners can pick up and drop off at Newark Airport, although local authorities have been ticketing some partners lately. Uber will have our partners' backs if they face enforcement.

UBER:
That's correct, William. Many jurisdictions have not yet determined if or how to regulate innovative new services like Uber. We are actively working with the appropriate regulatory bodies to provide that clarity for our riders and partners.
Since all partners can pick up and drop off at Newark Airport without any additional documents needed, we will have your back when you get a citation for this reason. Should you ever receive any fines or summons because of your use of the Uber app, please send us a copy right away and we will follow up with you.
Let us know if we can help with anything else.
There is nothing new here. They send the same exact copy and paste answer to every drive in NJ with the same question.

·
Super Moderator
6,267 Posts
I might be wrong but I thought the Port Authority police cared less in the past (if at all) than the city police.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts