Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
This is a fantastic summary article of what is wrong with Uber. Pretty convincing when all the evidence is compiled, really makes it clear long term survival of Uber is a long shot.
Haven't read much of the Horan analysis yet, but one thing he seems to miss is that the driver bears the brunt of Uber's unprofitable fare pricing. Drivers are duped into driving, often at a loss after expenses. This means Uber's short term profitability comes from fleecing naive drivers. But long term the message is the same Uber is not viable.
So much would be resolved if Uber just raised rates, say here in Toronto about 50%, and controlled their spending rather than mindlessly chasing growth. I believe another company will fill this role soon.

·
Premium Member
2,711 Posts
This is a fantastic summary article of what is wrong with Uber. Pretty convincing when all the evidence is compiled, really makes it clear long term survival of Uber is a long shot.
Haven't read much of the Horan analysis yet, but one thing he seems to miss is that the driver bears the brunt of Uber's unprofitable fare pricing. Drivers are duped into driving, often at a loss after expenses. This means Uber's short term profitability comes from fleecing naive drivers. But long term the message is the same Uber is not viable.
So much would be resolved if Uber just raised rates, say here in Toronto about 50%, and controlled their spending rather than mindlessly chasing growth. I believe another company will fill this role soon.
I agree with you on drivers sometime also subsidizing the fare and if Uber cannot make profit now, probably never will.

·
Premium Member
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Excellent quantitative analysis and I suspect as more data leaks out via disgruntled staff we'll see more accurate cost accounting figures. The corporate dysfunction seems to raise its ugly head every several weeks now. Just when you think things have settled down twitter goes live with the latest scandal. The India experience has to be flailing fast now and with only 4 % market share this will be another 1 billion wiped off the cash reserves. Look to see a new private investment placement in the next few weeks. The Brazilian experiment is also is serious financial distress.
Uber's Rival in Brazil Just Got $100 Million from Didi Chuxing
http://fortune.com/2017/01/05/uber-rival-brazil-didi-chuxing/

I agree with you on drivers sometime also subsidizing the fare and if Uber cannot make profit now, probably never will.
I would venture a rough conservative estimation that 20% of all rides are at least break even and more likely driver loss.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I picked up a young lady a few days ago that worked in Ubers corp. office and she told me they are the most deceiving company in the world.She quite her job their due to her moral standards so I asked her why she was using it tonight.She said her car was in the shop for repairs and the price for a taxi was above her means.Uber has no idea how to treat people in general because all they care about is how much they make in the near term and not looking forward.Dumb company,dumb people running it.

·
Premium Member
4,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Secret recording of Uber meeting last week with Travis leading the meeting

https://soundcloud.com/john-paczkowski%2Fuber-ceo-travis-kalanicklady-eng-meeting
I picked up a young lady a few days ago that worked in Ubers corp. office and she told me they are the most deceiving company in the world.She quite her job their due to her moral standards so I asked her why she was using it tonight.She said her car was in the shop for repairs and the price for a taxi was above her means.Uber has no idea how to treat people in general because all they care about is how much they make in the near term and not looking forward.Dumb company,dumb people running it.
When I picked up many of the Eats crowd from the office and restaurants they would always use the words "disruptive technology" to justify unethical practices. They were always harried on the move individuals and I doubt many of them even had the time to contemplate how they too were used by Uber.

The other thing I noticed is how they spoke about restaurants they were either dropping or picking up as new clients. If restaurants heard these conversations I doubt any of them would even consider a relationship with this company. In just this last week we can really start to see a build up of the philosophy of winning at any cost which is now endemic throughout the "Ride Shit" culture, be it Pool, Eats, Software Programmers, Stealing IC and attacks on the Press.

The one goal of this company is clear in all their dealings be it with regulators or competitors, their intentions prefer technology over humanity. With rapid advances in AI, machines teaching machines is a new shift in world history. That we have defaulted decision making to people like Travis with the power and authority to dictate transportation policy in many cities around the world is unprecedented.

Uber, DiDi and Google will be monolithic virtual corporations with little or no oversight. Trans-national virtual corporations will pose a fundamental threat to personal freedom of movement. If unchecked these companies will be at the centre of the most important decisions with respect to human movement and freedom.

The power that we have vested, to these technology companies, in making unilateral decisions about are physical lives is now an existential threat we can no longer ignore. Neoliberalism combined with technocracy poses a serious threat to personal freedoms and our political commons of democratic decision making.

As any Uber driver can attest, the rapid changes in contractor Uber agreements is always unilateral and never a consultative process. If you wonder at times why you feel so despondent when you tap "I Agree" than you already know what it will be like when you have to obey the robots Travis is building now.

That Travis thought he could cosy up to Trump is a telling move. In the transition to a virtual corporation he will still need humans, at least in the short term. But make no mistake, this man does not like nor does he tolerate criticism in any form.

"And the hits just keep on coming."

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/27/uber...ispute-over-sexual-harassment-allegation.html

Uber's SVP of engineering is out after he did not disclose he left Google in a dispute over sexual harassment allegation

1 - 6 of 6 Posts