Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DEFINITION OF 'PYRAMID SCHEME':

A pyramid scheme is an unsustainable business model that involves promising participants payment or services, primarily for enrolling other people into the scheme, rather than supplying any real investment

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
All the people shilling on youtube and craigslist with their "referral codes". It is all a scam. Once the population realizes driving for Uber is sub minimum wage the phenomenon will be over.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Making money? Really? How much?
Wow, you really are a rude son of a *****. Do you really go around in life asking people how much money they make? Why would anyone even answer that? I'm going to guess that it's more than you do, and I don't say that to be a smarmy bastard, which is really the kind of answer you deserve for asking a personal question like that.

He's just another guy who hasn't done or lacks the ability to do the Uber math.
%80 of the people who think Uber is a money making deal beyond minimum wage are guilty of this.
Really? Is that what I am? Okay. You guys crack me up. You are all so witty, charming, and intelligent that if you can't be successful at something... then nobody can, right?!?! The truth is, if you spent more time driving and less time complaining about driving online, you too might actually make some money. I love all the people on here that are so negative towards Uber, yet still continue to drive. How much self hatred must you have to not only keep doing something you obviously hate, but also to bring so much vitriol to others who are doing well with it and having a good time? Please stop driving because you're giving the rest of us a bad name. Please do yourself a favor and find something you like and are good at. Try to be happy in life, it's a pleasurable experience.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts

A pyramid scheme is an unsustainable business model that involves promising participants payment or services, primarily for enrolling other people into the scheme, rather than supplying any real investment
:rolleyes: No, if Uber was a pyramid scheme, each driver would be asked to pay a joining fee to join the pyramid, with payouts coming from subsequent new members' joining fees. Drivers pay no fees to join Uber. Therefore, not a pyramid.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
He's just another guy who hasn't done or lacks the ability to do the Uber math.
%80 of the people who think Uber is a money making deal beyond minimum wage are guilty of this.
I'll take things failures say for $1000 Alex

You're an idiot, plain and simple. Think outside the box.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Comparing a pyramid scheme to driving shows you apparently don't understand what you are talking about but I will answer you on your question of wages. I am now bringing home, after all expenses, about $800 a week. That is working about 60 hours. That is all hours from leaving the home to returning too home even though I travel about 30 to the hot spots of ubering. Remember, most people travel long hours to work. We drive a lot of them. Since you don't understand pyramid schemes, I'll do the math for you. 800/60 is $13.33 an hour. A decent wage by most accounts and I pick my hours and I don't listen to a boss (except the one at home, haha). If you take away my travel time of 10 hours a week, I clear 16 dollars and hour. Try and find a job paying that without having to report anyone. It's not that bad of gig if you play it right. You have to find your hot spots and work them. You have to be willing to go far. I put about 250-300 miles a day. Sometimes travel to new places. I compare it to fishing....move around to pull them in.
My wife is sick now and I am able to take the time off needed to care for her. Another added benny. When my son came home from oversea, I spent a lot of time with him. I get naps in during the day if needed. I eat when I want. I get take a walk when I want. Try that at your day job! Money isn't everything to this job but even that isn't bad.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Comparing a pyramid scheme to driving shows you apparently don't understand what you are talking about but I will answer you on your question of wages. I am now bringing home, after all expenses, about $800 a week. That is working about 60 hours. That is all hours from leaving the home to returning too home even though I travel about 30 to the hot spots of ubering. Remember, most people travel long hours to work. We drive a lot of them. Since you don't understand pyramid schemes, I'll do the math for you. 800/60 is $13.33 an hour. A decent wage by most accounts and I pick my hours and I don't listen to a boss (except the one at home, haha). If you take away my travel time of 10 hours a week, I clear 16 dollars and hour. Try and find a job paying that without having to report anyone. It's not that bad of gig if you play it right. You have to find your hot spots and work them. You have to be willing to go far. I put about 250-300 miles a day. Sometimes travel to new places. I compare it to fishing....move around to pull them in.
My wife is sick now and I am able to take the time off needed to care for her. Another added benny. When my son came home from oversea, I spent a lot of time with him. I get naps in during the day if needed. I eat when I want. I get take a walk when I want. Try that at your day job! Money isn't everything to this job but even that isn't bad.
Finally, an honest reply...

So many shills on here, hard to tell real numbers...
Your numbers are higher than we can make in Florida, as we have too
Many drivers = no surge..

It can be good supplement to a retired guy,self employed with free time,
But not for someone who wants to make a living...

Have you taken into consideration costs of vehicle mileage, brakes,oil changes,tires,etc...

And taxes, that will make your $600 = $400 real quick...

Not saying what you are doing is wrong, just Uber should pay you more..

·
Registered
3,367 Posts

It isn't so much a pyramid scheme. That aspect of the Uber Experience is an example of being a salesman paid on commission. It implies taking on the role of being a shill.

Personally, in my mind, Uber is more of an elaborate attempt to work a Ponzi scheme, a bit of a shell game. Uber bleeds money far beyond that associated with being a start up. they have been around a while, at what point are you no longer thought of as a startup? Uber loses money in great sums, yet is able to gut CMU's robotics department in Pittsburgh.

I'm not going to suggest it is a true Ponzi scheme, but clearly, they are using a money loses venture to raise capital to invest in all sort of intellectual property and patents. It is quite a leveraging mechanism it seems.

If anyone has a more accurate word than Ponzi, I'd love to hear it.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
don Cie, Those earning are the exception and not the rule. With respect to expenses: what is the status of your personal insurance, what expenses include all expenses? You are driving a lot of miles there, I would think there would be significant expenses at some time or another.

I'm not sure why you discount travel time to get to your hotspots? You are an independent contractor, the time to get to those places is part of your work day. that should be accounted for. Personally, I also believe time spent maintaining the car should also be included. taking 30 minutes for an oil change, that should be included too, particularly considering you are putting so many miles on the car each day.

Are you driving in Philly? What kind of car do you drive and what is your rate per mile? I'm guessing you would need to be driving in one a the few markets in North America not at rock bottom rates. Thank you in advance.

REBU22 Uber turns the problem taxi companies face and turns it on its head: A taxi fleet needs to pay for itself and that is dependent not on peak hours but average hours over the long haul. Uber simply turned that reality on its head. their genius if there was any isn't the app so much as their ability to transfer the onus of car ownership from whoever pays the dispatcher and places it on the driver. The driver has the burden of everything that comes with owning a car for livery. As a result, the model works best typically for casual drivers.

However, too many drivers is too many drivers. the surge pricing system is completely contrived, unstable and unreliable. Given that Uber is in no way self limiting, surge/rock bottom rates is their answer.

The surge creates a neurotic work environment. It simply does. It isn't goo d for pax either. You would think Uber needs to raise their rates right? Charge pax a reasonable rate/mile that would allow drivers to account for expenses and really work...... It wouldn't work and I believe it has to do with the fact that Uber is not self limited with respect to the number of car/drivers on the road.

If rates were sustainable they would lose their ability to control drivers. The system would like fail if the number of drivers on the app was more linear, for a bunch of reasons.

In my opinion, if your area surged, you might feel as if you were doing better, but mostly, it is just a hook, they hand you a winning rub off ticket a couple times a night, it is not much of a solution for the long term however. It is completely ****ed up and manipulative.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I believe that Uber is and has been running their successful "concept" (to date) using sophisticated software to come to a point where they can keep recruiting Drivers and still entice Riders to their platform.

I do not believe that Uber is and has been operating on a concept that sooner rather than later Drivers will realize that they are being duped.

Although the algorithms are razor thin on this Driver/Rider concept I firmly believe that Uber has not designed a concept that will expose itself as a sham.

There is way too much money involved.

Dan

·
Registered
57 Posts
The "genius" of Uber is that they (The Company) have not only been prepared for the controversy of the Driver's position (of unfairness re: shared compensation, etc) but that they have also been well aware that a large enough percentage of Drivers who are successful under these same rules...... are primarily the best spokespeople for Uber's concept.

Uber knows that they will always have enough Drivers who will promote their idea of Ride Sharing using their App.

Dan

·
Registered
29 Posts

I agree it is not a pyramid scheme and drivers need to be aware of all the hidden costs, but I have been driving for 8 months and continue to feel I am well compensated and enjoy the job. If drivers didn't feel that way, it would be a harder position to fill and Uber would then have to increase the rates or percentages. I think most drivers are well aware that there are taxes and auto depreciation to take into account because it is all over the internet as well as a few good calculators. As long as Uber continues to get employees, the pay rate will be what it is. If you dont like if, find another job, complaining is not fun for us to listen to. Move on.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
My operating cost per mile is $.59. I profit in my market.

Make note of your beginning miles and then when done for the night ending miles.

Multiply that by your per mile operating cost to see what your oop was for the night. Then subtract that from your after Uber earnings minus 15%(taxes,social security). Then you will have your profits for the night. Divide by the amount of hours to get your hourly wage (if you want but its a business not job, so that is pointless)

If your doing this full time then you will also need to deduct medical expenses and or life insurance(if you want it).

You cant profit doing this full time BTW.

From my study.. its impossible to profit from less that $1 per mile. If your market is that.. stop driving.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
The "genius" of Uber is that they (The Company) have not only been prepared for the controversy of the Driver's position (of unfairness re: shared compensation, etc) but that they have also been well aware that a large enough percentage of Drivers who are successful under these same rules...... are primarily the best spokespeople for Uber's concept.

Uber knows that they will always have enough Drivers who will promote their idea of Ride Sharing using their App.

Dan
How do you define successful? I have read that the average driver, at one time anyway only drove 6 or 7 hours a week. I also believe half the drivers don't make it past six months, most are gone within a year of starting. That isn't very impressive.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts