Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Congrats on the positive attitude to always believing the glass is half full...(even if it is only 46.5%)

·
Registered
857 Posts

·
Registered
15,927 Posts
They did something like that here in Minnesota on taxes.. Raised them 2 billion then "lowered" them 1 billion. the sheeple ate it up. Don't piss on my leg and tell me its raining. If you dropped prices %20 then raised them back up 10% that is still a 10% loss.
No it's more. Because now it's a 10% raise on less:

100 - 20% of 100 = 80.

Add 10%. 80 + 10% of 80 = 88.
It's a loss of 12 %.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DO NOT take uber's cut out of it for GST. that's not how it works..

Uber's commission is exactly that, commission. The gst is still calculated on the full fare.

My question is.. and I'll need to post it to the asst commish..

Are/will/have you discussed with uber..

Are they adding 10% and then TAKING an additional 10% on top of their 20% to cover their tax obligations?
Or are they just raising it 10% for drivers sake.
If we go by what partner agreement says, then it's a 10% raise and we take 10% for GST (before the uber 20%).

Remember, uber's commission is tax deductible :)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congrats on the positive attitude to always believing the glass is half full...(even if it is only 46.5%)
My gripe is the fact we all bag uber out however if they weren't around you wouldn't be using the platform nor working the flexy hours that you could.
I do however think more needs to be done from a driver's perspective about these "winter specials" etc..
Would far rather they incentive it rather than reduce the fare and we cop it too.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Correction. ..I am no longer driving UberX as the risks now well and truly outweigh the rewards

And I criticise them because they are ......mercenaries. .. (or insert any other 4 letter word that seems more appropriate. ...)

My gripe is the fact we all bag uber out however if they weren't around you wouldn't be using the platform nor working the flexy hours that you could.

Reactions: SydX

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree that making a fine $ on X is harder.. but I think in most cases they push X to be a "part time" gig rather than fulltime..
What else don't you like?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I concede that your experience as a full time professionally licensced and accredited driver for a UberBlack owner operator means you have minimal if any risk of fines/insurance disputes/tax compliance and therefore may have a completely different perspective.

My views are as a (very) part time Uber X owner/driver who according to Uber financial summary has made (gross) approx $5000 in 6 months, maintained a 4.8+ rating and travelled about 1200 kms (on the clock) whilst paying Uber about $1000 . On the surface not a bad casual income....

So that being said, and only because you asked so nicely.....here are my comments from another thread:

Don't be fooled by the Uber hype and publicity machine ....they are a mercenary, predatory company only interested in world domination.

They are a mercenary start up corporation and couldn't give a **** about the schleps that drive for them. .... the increase does not equal the additional loss, let alone the tax collection burden that has been forced on the drivers whilst Uber continues to generate tax free, offshore revenue.

My belief is they should pay"some" tax if they are deriving income from the infrastructure created by our taxes.

But they are too clever to do that...they will "look" like they are supporting drivers. .. at the expense of passengers. ..but really all they have done is screw both and still not paid any corporate tax....
I.e
$20. 00 old fare (after they dropped it 20% already)
-$4.00 = 20% commission to uber
$16.00 to driver

$22.00 New fare with 10 % "increase to cover GST"
GST = $2.00
Uber takes 20% total fare
$22.00
- $4.40 Uber Commission - their slice increases by 10%
- $2.00 GST
$15.60 to driver - whilst driver Revenue Decreases by 2.5%
(before cost for administration of GST collection and remittance to ATO)

Some Uber newbies will say "but what about all the input credits you can claim"... or what about driving under another entity that will pay you a net amount after taking their fee....

The point is this whole GST thing changes the social/part time/casual aspect of making a bit of beer money and providing a fun friendly service........ into a pure "business" that I predict (guess) will end up with the same majority of disgruntled, smelly, overworked, under appreciated, cynical, devious and unlikable people that used to piss off pax in the Taxi industry ........these same "profit over people" attitudes ruined the reputation of the hard working, intelligent, friendly, knowledgeable cabbies that now have gone the way of the dinosaur. ...

To me it highlights that we are now all complicit in facilitating millions of $AUD to be siphoned off without anything being returned to the country that provided the infrastructure that allows us to drive on (relatively) safe,clean, well lit and maintained roads....paid for with our taxes... but not $0.01 from Uber..

According to my accountant "Hobby" income up to about $10000 p.a was not generally added to assessable income...and therefore no tax deduction was allowed on the "expenses incurred" .... this GST and ABN registration makes it pointless for me to drive for anything less than about $20,000 gross.

The additional time away from family, the increased wear and tear, the need to source different insurance, the increased potential for a spew clean up from driving large night....and still run the increased risk of getting a fine and/or being involved in an accident that would put my car (required for day job) off the road for extended period ......All from being on the road more to generate more income .....to be taxed more.... no thanks.

Risk vs Reward = High vs Low

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Then don't drive for uber?

As for my perspective, I'm a business man, I have a business, ACN/ABN and have been paying stupid amounts of tax for 5 years.

UberX in the eyes of black drivers was always something that we looked at and went "how do you sustain that".
If you only drive friday/saturday nights and you get a few surge fares then yeah, it's viable, if you're doing it all week I'd question that.

From a GST perspective, I'm still yet to see the fares increase and I'll be curious to see this weeks earnings report.

I'll hold further judgement until then..

As for GST being claimable etc, that's still valid..

As for uber being this ruthless company, don't like it, don't be a part of it.. It really REALLY is that simple.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I do however think more needs to be done from a driver's perspective about these "winter specials" etc..
Would far rather they incentive it rather than reduce the fare and we cop it too.
It wasn't ever a winter special, it was Uber recognising that as of Aug 1 their drivers would be slugged with having to pay 10% GST and rightly so. The dropped rates telling us it would make us busier and all that other bullshit, knowing that they could increase rates by 10% or there about's on Aug 1 or a week later as they have done, and drivers would buy this crap that they are helping us our by meeting our GST obligations. We are worse off again than after the "winter special" rate cuts and Uber could give 2 shits about us as drivers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts