Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other night I had a ping, accepted, and the guy called me, verified his name, and told me his phone was dying and he was on the other block. I picked him and his two friends up and took them to Aurora from lodo, dropped off, no problems.

Next day I get a voice mail from the "owner" of the account telling me he was in Steamboat and never ordered any UBER ride, and he would call UBER to dispute the charge.

I still don't know how someone hacks the guys' account and orders up free rides but apparently it happened.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

·
Premium Member
3,130 Posts
Curious how the account holder was able to leave you a voice message?

Is there a universal number that connects to drivers during the trip, and if so was this guy watching his credit card statement or paypal at the time of said ride?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a guy look at the rider name on my phone thru the car window and jump in the front seat during a 3.6 surge, said he was "Thomas", changed destination ..took a minute to realize what he was doing, impersonating the fare, and ten minutes to get rid of his drunk ass short of getting physical.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
This guy called me before I even picked him up so he had to have used the app to "hail" me.
Right. The only way he could call you is from the App, which you have a record of. Sounds like he's trying to scam Uber. You should go to the trip in your trip history and report a serious concern with the passenger.

·
Registered
15,929 Posts
I had a guy look at the rider name on my phone thru the car window and jump in the front seat during a 3.6 surge, said he was "Thomas", changed destination ..took a minute to realize what he was doing, impersonating the fare, and ten minutes to get rid of his drunk ass short of getting physical.
That's why during the bar scene you ask them YOUR name. I have my phone out of the way because I don't use the GPS but yeah some folks are learning to lie.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right. The only way he could call you is from the App, which you have a record of. Sounds like he's trying to scam Uber. You should go to the trip in your trip history and report a serious concern with the driver.
I think you are misunderstanding. I am the driver - the passenger called me before I picked him up, so that's how I know he legitimately used the app to hail the UBER service, apparently he hacked the owners account is all I can think.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
The owner if the story is true can contact the driver, any driver by clicking a button on the email invoice, forgot something / had an issue will reveal your actual phone number to anyone looking for it

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
He's scamming. Uber will probably take his side and rip you off for the ride. Plenty of our cancelation / rider no show fares go unpaid because the passenger complains. Welcome to Uber!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I think you are misunderstanding. I am the driver - the passenger called me before I picked him up, so that's how I know he legitimately used the app to hail the UBER service, apparently he hacked the owners account is all I can think.
No, I understood you perfectly. I'm agreeing with you. Someone called you before the ride and the only way to do that is from the Passenger App. So, therefore, the passenger must have called you. Now that same passenger is claiming it wasn't him. Sounds like he's trying to scam Uber out of a free ride. You should report him to Uber by going you our Trip History and report that you had an issue with the passenger and describe what has happened. Then don't worry about it. Uber will handle that. I'm sure people try that a lot.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I see what I did and fixed it. I meant report that you had a serious concern with the passenger - he's trying to scam you.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
The owner if the story is true can contact the driver, any driver by clicking a button on the email invoice, forgot something / had an issue will reveal your actual phone number to anyone looking for it
I don't know this from experience, only from what I've read other drivers have said. But I think there is only one way a passenger can call you later, and that is if they had called you during a trip (or you called them) and they have that fake number in their call history. After the ride is over, yes, they get a receipt, but it does not include a way to contact the driver. It just includes a link to make a report to Uber who will contact the driver or who might then give the passenger your number. So the only way the passenger could call you later is if he himself, not someone who supposedly hacked his account, had already done so (or, again, if you called them).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts