Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Uber Health with get patients to and from the doctor

Article by CNN, author Sara Ashley O'Brien

Uber is launching a new service that will help out patients who need rides to and from their doctors.

Uber Heath will partner with health care providers, who will be able to schedule rides for patients using a special digital platform. The providers cover the cost of the rides.

The digital dashboard, which adheres to the federal privacy law HIPPA, lets doctors alert patients to their rides via SMS messages or by printing out a piece of paper.

The introduction of a paper component is no small thing for the tech company: It's a bid to make it possible for everyone to benefit from the service -- regardless of whether they have a smartphone or no phone at all.

"We want to make [Uber] accessible to patients whether they're familiar with Uber or not," Chris Weber, general manager of Uber Health, told CNN.

Full article link: http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/01/technology/uber-health/index.html

·
Registered
508 Posts
Ahh.. My favorite. Transporting sick people.

Certainly a good move by Uber since I imagine there is a demand for such services that Uber will certainly be able to bid at a lower rate than other medical mobility services. From a driver standpoint, more riders is good, no chance for tip is bad, possibility for considerations outside a typical passenger could be a problem. It will be interesting to see if Uber can hang on long enough to bankrupt all of the other traditional transportation providers so they can ratchet up their prices or if they will run out of money themselves before establishing their near monopoly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Certainly a good move by Uber since I imagine there is a demand for such services that Uber will certainly be able to bid at a lower rate than other medical mobility services. From a driver standpoint, more riders is good, no chance for tip is bad, possibility for considerations outside a typical passenger could be a problem. It will be interesting to see if Uber can hang on long enough to bankrupt all of the other traditional transportation providers so they can ratchet up their prices or if they will run out of money themselves before establishing their near monopoly.
Would be nice if Uber highlighted the ride as like an Uber Health ride so drivers can know before they accept the ride as something they want to do or not. Also, helps ensure that the drivers who do accept are willing to help out if the passenger needs further assistance if needed.

·
Registered
195 Posts
As posted in another thread.........

Word on the street is that it'll be express poo......

Head to your local hub to receive a portable mountable siren... use your Uber bacon thingy and make it illuminate/flash red.....

Your poo pax will be waiting smack dab on the corner of the major intersection in the no-stopping zone.

No worries. Simply turn on your bacon and activate your siren while picking up your turd.

And of course, you'll be tipped in the app!

UberAmb on!

·
Premium Member
5,637 Posts
not in my car they aren't.

they basically only have around a year or two left of cash at the current burn rate

·
Registered
508 Posts
they basically only have around a year or two left of cash at the current burn rate
If Uber fails, the scramble for market share from folks jumping into the mix will be fascinating! I would imagine at that point there will be very little capital interested in propping up another ride-share that artificially holds fare low.... what will the millennial's do when they have to pay the actual cost of something?! They are gonna freak out....

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
I have some concerns.
1) What if the rider has a contagious disease. Doesn't that put the driver ar risk? And if the driver needs a few days off to recover, how is lost income compensated for?
2) If the rider needs assistance going between the vehicle and home or destination and something goes wrong, what liability does the driver face?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have some concerns.
1) What if the rider has a contagious disease. Doesn't that put the driver ar risk? And if the driver needs a few days off to recover, how is lost income compensated for?
2) If the rider needs assistance going between the vehicle and home or destination and something goes wrong, what liability does the driver face?
For question 1 that can really apply to any ride a driver does since a rider can be contagious and not know it. Besides I believe the aim of this is to help patients, like the elderly who can sometimes miss their appointment, get to and from their appointments safely and on time. Also, since the doctors office books these rides for the patients helps ensure the patient won't forget due to someone coming to pick them up.

But yeah the second question is a very interesting thought. For drivers are not fully equipped to help out those riders who may need extra assistance. Then you get into the liability the driver faces, for aren't drivers not really suppose to touch riders (correct me if I am wrong on this)?

·
Premium Member
5,637 Posts
If Uber fails, the scramble for market share from folks jumping into the mix will be fascinating! I would imagine at that point there will be very little capital interested in propping up another ride-share that artificially holds fare low.... what will the millennial's do when they have to pay the actual cost of something?! They are gonna freak out....
probably cry and demand a safe space.

somewhat related, I have actively stopped tipping any millennial in the service industry (other than restaurants i frequent often). you know these little shits working at their hipster coffee places (who will demand tips) never tip their boober drivers. fire back.

·
Premium Member
4,580 Posts
Uber Health with get patients to and from the doctor

Article by CNN, author Sara Ashley O'Brien

Uber is launching a new service that will help out patients who need rides to and from their doctors.

Uber Heath will partner with health care providers, who will be able to schedule rides for patients using a special digital platform. The providers cover the cost of the rides.

The digital dashboard, which adheres to the federal privacy law HIPPA, lets doctors alert patients to their rides via SMS messages or by printing out a piece of paper.

The introduction of a paper component is no small thing for the tech company: It's a bid to make it possible for everyone to benefit from the service -- regardless of whether they have a smartphone or no phone at all.

"We want to make [Uber] accessible to patients whether they're familiar with Uber or not," Chris Weber, general manager of Uber Health, told CNN.

Full article link: http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/01/technology/uber-health/index.html
Most cities have medical transport companies who train drivers for this very Specialized Service. unleashing your average Uber driver on this population is going to get some bad results I guarantee it. Additionally unless you're paid by the hour these trips will not be profitable I know this from hard experience as years as a taxi driver. If I were using my own car I would not do it for less than $18 an hour.

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
Why not hand deliver medical supplies as well? Oxygen, catheters, etc. No training or certifications needed. Flowers? **** ya, why not?

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have some concerns.
I will refuse cash tips.

For question 1 that can really apply to any ride a driver does since a rider can be contagious and not know it. Besides I believe the aim of this is to help patients, like the elderly who can sometimes miss their appointment, get to and from their appointments safely and on time. Also, since the doctors office books these rides for the patients helps ensure the patient won't forget due to someone coming to pick them up.

But yeah the second question is a very interesting thought. For drivers are not fully equipped to help out those riders who may need extra assistance. Then you get into the liability the driver faces, for aren't drivers not really suppose to touch riders (correct me if I am wrong on this)?
Uber already has an existing service called Uber Assist.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts