Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This forum won't let me post links at this point, but there's a thread on Greyball in the "News" subforum. Or you can search for"New York Times Uber Greyball."

We do not pay for sharing information.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
If u the 'user' constantly request rides and cancel, uber automatically cancels the payment method that you have entered and doesn't let u request a ride using the same credit card again, but that applies to everyone not specific to a group of people

If I suspect a rider is fraudulent, or with law enforcement I can simply cancel on them and choose the 'fraudulent rider' option in order for uber to flag that persons account

I'm not sure uber uses greyball in Canada since there was no actual crackdown in any city aside from Calgary and Calgary beat them to their game.

The only thing I have personally heard of going around is simply the drivers telling uber which rider was a bylaw enforcement or police officer and uber would look into them and shut their account

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Gill,

Thanks for the information. That's interesting about the ability to flag users as 'fraudulent riders,' I didn't know that.

As for Greyball being used in Canada - I wouldn't be surprised if it was used in Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, or Windsor, where there have been various regulatory investigations into UberX over the past few years. Thanks for your thoughts about whether or not it was used in Calgary.

I'd be interested in talking with you about what you mentioned - drivers telling Uber about bylaw enforcement officers and Uber shutting down their accounts. If you're available, please contact me at solomon.israel [at] cbc.ca or (647) 222-5216. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
64,571 Posts
Hi Uber drivers,

I'm a reporter with CBC News, writing about Uber's "Greyball" program and whether it's being used in Canada.

(Google "New York Times Uber Greyball" for more information.)

Has Uber ever told you to stop carrying a passenger, and do you suspect it might be because that passenger was a regulator or law enforcement officer working undercover?

If you'd like to share information about this, please contact me at solomon [dot] israel [at] cbc [dot] ca, or call or text me: (647) 222-5216.

We can keep your name anonymous for this story.

Thanks.
Greyball apparently was merely a system to cut out false and abusive requests sent by competing ride share groups,competing Uber drivers and disgruntled taxi drivers.
It was obviously designed to interrupt false and abusive requests made simply to abuse the system..
As an Uber driver,I am highly supportive of any efforts Uber makes to keep others from wasting my online time.
Much thanks to Uber for looking out for the interests of drivers ,and enabling us to maximize our earning time !

If u the 'user' constantly request rides and cancel, uber automatically cancels the payment method that you have entered and doesn't let u request a ride using the same credit card again, but that applies to everyone not specific to a group of people

If I suspect a rider is fraudulent, or with law enforcement I can simply cancel on them and choose the 'fraudulent rider' option in order for uber to flag that persons account

I'm not sure uber uses greyball in Canada since there was no actual crackdown in any city aside from Calgary and Calgary beat them to their game.

The only thing I have personally heard of going around is simply the drivers telling uber which rider was a bylaw enforcement or police officer and uber would look into them and shut their account
Nothing worse than someone ,anyone,for whatever reason . . . wasting our time as drivers !
Any system that can weed out deceptive abusive false account holders,or those who abuse real accounts . . .is more than welcome by most drivers.

Hi Gill,

Thanks for the information. That's interesting about the ability to flag users as 'fraudulent riders,' I didn't know that.

As for Greyball being used in Canada - I wouldn't be surprised if it was used in Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, or Windsor, where there have been various regulatory investigations into UberX over the past few years. Thanks for your thoughts about whether or not it was used in Calgary.

I'd be interested in talking with you about what you mentioned - drivers telling Uber about bylaw enforcement officers and Uber shutting down their accounts. If you're available, please contact me at solomon.israel [at] cbc.ca or (647) 222-5216. Thanks.
You have to realize,in the beginning ,taxi drivers would send Uber drivers on wild goose chase.
In France they burned cars and attacked drivers.
In Mexico,drivers lives were threatened.
Things were not all roses in the beginning !
The new drivers and the public may not realize just how dangerous the start was sometimes !
Sometimes,a fellow Uber driver may send false requests. Anything to reduce abuse is more than welcome,and enhances the safety of each and every driver.

Black ball
It is the Blue Ball I fear most . . .

·
Premium Member
8,271 Posts
Hi Uber drivers,

I'm a reporter with CBC News, writing about Uber's "Greyball" program and whether it's being used in Canada.

Has Uber ever told you to stop carrying a passenger, and do you suspect it might be because that passenger was a regulator or law enforcement officer working undercover?

If you'd like to share information about this, please contact me at solomon [dot] israel [at] cbc [dot] ca, or call or text me: (647) 222-5216.

Thanks.
There's are bigger issues for you to write about that Canadian drivers and passengers face on a daily bases instead of wasting your time following up on a news story that's already been posted.

Read through the forum Solomon for some more compelling stories...

A few off the bat

- Arbitrary driver account cancellations
- Discrepancies between upfront fares charged to passengers and paid to drivers
- inconsistent promotions given to the base of drivers.
- Ratings -I've had a passenger ping me with a 3.1 rating however drivers need to keep a minimum 4.3 rating (ride sharing my ass)
- There are a ton of human interest stories as to why people are drivers and why people use Uber (I've had people getting to work with Uber because they can't drive because of medical issues/Dui/fear)

There are a ton of other things to write about.

Differentiate yourself Solomon....you may be surprised at the size of the audience that wants to hear about Uber.

·
Premium Member
8,723 Posts
There is really no way for us as drivers to know what kind of techniques Uber is using to hamper enforcement of bylaws.

You need to understand that we are largely left on a desert island when it comes to communication from Uber. Even if we were to report a bylaw officer as a fraudulent rider, we would likely never know if they did anything about it OR what techniques they employed.

We could report that our last rider was a werewolf and just killed three of his Uberpool mates, and we'd get a form letter response back from Uber support.

I think you will find very little solidarity between Uber drivers and Uber itself.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I have a feeling this greyballing also has other use.

Think about it, ever since New years our earning have drastically been dropping. I use to have an edge on other drivers only because of experience I've gained through years of trail and error.

Now a rookie makes the same amount as me on his first day. Its not the closest driver matched anymore, its the one not being greyballed at that particular moment who gets business. Leveling the playing field while having wage control for all, regardless of how good or bad you are at your job.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There's are bigger issues for you to write about that Canadian drivers and passengers face on a daily bases instead of wasting your time following up on a news story that's already been posted.

Read through the forum Solomon for some more compelling stories...

A few off the bat

- Arbitrary driver account cancellations
- Discrepancies between upfront fares charged to passengers and paid to drivers
- inconsistent promotions given to the base of drivers.
- Ratings -I've had a passenger ping me with a 3.1 rating however drivers need to keep a minimum 4.3 rating (ride sharing my ass)
- There are a ton of human interest stories as to why people are drivers and why people use Uber (I've had people getting to work with Uber because they can't drive because of medical issues/Dui/fear)

There are a ton of other things to write about.

Differentiate yourself Solomon....you may be surprised at the size of the audience that wants to hear about Uber.
Thanks for the feedback, Uberchampion. I'm always looking for story ideas. Driver account cancellations, fare discrepancies, and human interest stories are all of particular interest.

If you feel you have information that would help me write stories about those topics, you're welcome to contact me at the email address or phone number above. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I have a feeling this greyballing also has other use.

Think about it, ever since New years our earning have drastically been dropping. I use to have an edge on other drivers only because of experience I've gained through years of trail and error.

Now a rookie makes the same amount as me on his first day. Its not the closest driver matched anymore, its the one not being greyballed at that particular moment who gets business. Leveling the playing field while having wage control for all, regardless of how good or bad you are at your job.
It would make sense to me that all things being equal save driver rating, the driver with the higher rating will get more business. That's how it *should* be, anyhow.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Hi Uber drivers,

Thanks.
It was about two years ago and you guys can back me up where Uber cars were be sent to a Tim's ( near Castle Loma ) that had an empty parking lot beside it and once the driver arrived he was confronted by a taxi inspector and written up. Can't remember if we each told other informally or if it was on here. The other place that was frequently used by the City of Mississauga was Scare #1 by the Walmart, where several drivers were picked off by the taxi commission inspectors. I also believe the Go Train lot at Clarkson was also a hangout for inspectors. I few drivers were picked off just this past January and are now getting city summons in the mail. Once drivers report a site for being written up Uber probably does the geolocation number.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, Uberchampion. I'm always looking for story ideas. Driver account cancellations, fare discrepancies, and human interest stories are all of particular interest.

If you feel you have information that would help me write stories about those topics, you're welcome to contact me at the email address or phone number above. Thanks.
You should do an expose on the number of dangerous uber drivers on the road, skirting city mandated bylaws by not using winter tires, picking up cash fares (rider is therefore not covered by insurance), driving wrong way down one-way streets, etc.

Do a search on this forum and you can find many drivers here who refuse to buy snow tires, to save a few hundred dollars.

Some friends are working on getting a copy of grey ball to test and play with

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Dude, enough of the winter tires and DD crap. If we want them to write anything informative its' that we simply are not paid enough. They reporter wants to write something sexy and clickable. ie.) you do all your shopping for essentials at the Dollar Store, you work seven days a week and often times don't even make minimum wage. Lets' get serious about this Uber gig, its is not a living its starvation wages.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts