Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Like the title says I'm a complete noob from Simsbury, very close to Hartford. Looking to make a bit of spare cash on the side by giving this a try! I work for a large Life Insurance company in Springfield so I make that commute daily, about 75 miles give or take. Yet to take my first rider but eager to learn more about Uber! I have a 2005 SAAB 9-3 turbo...not the biggest car but it's great on gas and has a big trunk haha.
I'm lifelong Sox and Pats fan, married with a 10 month old daughter and enjoy cooking, wine, road biking, brewing beer and of course driving!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Well, if by approved it means my registration/insurance, etc. has been submitted and approved then I would say yes unless I'm missing something :) Per the Connecticut Uber website:

The vehicle must:
-Be a 2003 or newer
-Have 4 doors and seat at least 4 passengers
-Be in excellent condition
-Have private plates

·
Registered
398 Posts
Drive somewhere other than Hartford county. It's the only place in Ct where they dropped the rate from 1.50/mile to 1.10/mile about 2 weeks ago. The only good thing about the lower rate is tax time, when you account for all miles driven (both dead miles and with a pax) you are almost guaranteed to show a business income loss at year's end.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. No, have not yet picked up a rider...waiting to discuss with my insurance company who as of 9/3 will start offering a hybrid policy to cover Uber, Lyft and other services. Figured it was better to make sure all my bases are covered.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Simsbury market exists; I received 2 pick up requests from there late last night. However, the 20-25 minute drive to the pick up location(s) was not happening pro bono! I have to believe that I wasn't first driver to "not accept".

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. I'll check it out. Interesting to hear there's folkls looking for rides in Simsbury. Actually my sister in law who lives in town said the same yesterday. Honestly had no idea!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thanks. I'll check it out. Interesting to hear there's folkls looking for rides in Simsbury. Actually my sister in law who lives in town said the same yesterday. Honestly had no idea!
Welcome navygz19: looking at your pic icon, I hope and trust that you'll be transporting your passengers in a Viggen, right? I actually had a '99 Viggen while in Northern Virginia.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wish it was a Viggen! It's just a 2.0 (lowercase"t") but great car. I've owned an '87 900 sedan, '90 900 turbo hatchback and now this. Great cars.

I just spoke with Geico concerning the hybrid coverage. As I expected it's VERY expensive, even with minimal driving. More than double my personal policy and I don't know if I can justify or outweigh the cost with earnings....

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Wish it was a Viggen! It's just a 2.0 (lowercase"t") but great car. I've owned an '87 900 sedan, '90 900 turbo hatchback and now this. Great cars.

I just spoke with Geico concerning the hybrid coverage. As I expected it's VERY expensive, even with minimal driving. More than double my personal policy and I don't know if I can justify or outweigh the cost with earnings....
You cant but your now on record. Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts