Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Led me to the back side of ABIA. Yeah, back by the tarmack. Last week it led me to the back side of the capital. Really? WTF?!!!

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
You should know your way around well enough to know where the terminal drop off and pick up points are without GPS. I try to do as many runs as possible without using navigation. It helps you to learn the streets better and not be so reliant on technology.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dude... I know where the drop off is. The rider was picked up in Del Valle. I seldom am in Del Valle. The GPS guided me from the riders home to the back door of the airport. That's the problem. Showing up in the rear of the airport looks bad, and having to drive all the way around makes the customer uneasy. Which in turn affects my rating. I requested and received a fare review so no problem there. It seems to me that the GPS should know to use the front door.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Not meaning to bust your balls or anything, but you can't ever blindly follow navigation.
Del Valle isn't that big, and you should've been able to tell you weren't headed to the right place the minute your directions didn't send you to 71.
I've found that pax won't be too harsh as long as you're humble and apologetic about mistakes. If you did a fare review they probably won't ding you below a 3☆.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agreed. But it seems to me that when you are in an unfamiliar area, GPS should be your life saver. Knowing the city (and county) takes time. For now I need the assistance. I found my way there. Went up Burlson to 183 to 71. Boom. But the GPS should never guide a driver to the freaking tarmack. Jeez. Anyway, I think not blindly following GPS is prudent, lesson learned. The difference between you and I is that I want these apps to work right. Not be bourdoned with workarounds for their shortcomings.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Oh, I want them to work right, too. I'm just pragmatic. I don't expect them to work perfectly, especially where uber is involved.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gotcha. It is difficult to be pragmatic when you don't know where you are exactly. But yeah, I get it. I fired off emails to support about this. The Uber Goober that was looking at it sends me a form email back (hate that) with iPhone settings instructions that I'll try today. I'm not hopeful, however.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Led me to the back side of ABIA. Yeah, back by the tarmack. Last week it led me to the back side of the capital. Really? WTF?!!!
Google Maps GPS.....Let me tell you about google maps GPS...and how it will affect your rating..If you had seen your rating going down and your not driving UT kids or drunks around it maybe the google maps GPS...Google Maps GPS use's the fastest route analog NOT THE SHORTEST this will get you in trouble with some customers.....(low rating) To help with this:

1.Tell the customers your using Google maps GPS and it's defaulted to the fastest route not the shortest....And if they want to go in a different way to the destination. (Since Uber paks are mostly narcissist and they know more then a billion dollar software which only job is to find the fastest route from updated data)..........

Now about weird Locations....(Like Airport) Just got to know the bad ones........

·
Registered
517 Posts
Agreed. But it seems to me that when you are in an unfamiliar area, GPS should be your life saver. Knowing the city (and county) takes time. For now I need the assistance. I found my way there. Went up Burlson to 183 to 71. Boom. But the GPS should never guide a driver to the freaking tarmack. Jeez. Anyway, I think not blindly following GPS is prudent, lesson learned. The difference between you and I is that I want these apps to work right. Not be bourdoned with workarounds for their shortcomings.
The right address for the Airport is 16 Presidential Blvd, Austin, TX 78719 Not 3600 Presidential........The GPS will go to the address put in every time....

The 3600 address is the main address for the Airport not for the drop off terminals that is 16....hope that help's

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Robert, keep that address in mind and you can explain to pax that the correct address is 16 Presidential. They can change the destination for you with their app and, viola! You're their hero.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DingDingDingDingDing!!!!! Ve haf a vinner!!!

Yes, this is indeed the answer to my delemma. I put the 16 Prez addy into google maps and saved it to favorites. That'll work. Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
323 Posts
I absolutely know the way to the airport, but seeing that on the navigator caused me to second guess myself as well, the first time. I went with what I knew, but when you are new it gives you a little scare.

KilleenUber, thanks for the information. That explains the fubar now.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I almost fell for that navigation error yesterday. Realized it as I was rolling up to the cell lot area. Was having a good conversation with my pax.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I always take my navigation down when going to the Airport cause I'm scared that they will see my app and ticket me. Yes I am paranoid.. But the app frequently drops me behind places, and I look like a ******: I'm familiar with Austin pretty well, but not every address someone types in.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
What you've got to do is call the pax before you head to the ABIA terminal. I get calls all the time from the surrounding neighborhood. Make sure you know exactly where to meet them. Sometimes pax at the ABIA terminals drop the pin in the wrong area. Also, there is another terminal south of the ABIA. Always call first. Good luck.

·
Registered
157 Posts
What you've got to do is call the pax before you head to the ABIA terminal. I get calls all the time from the surrounding neighborhood. Make sure you know exactly where to meet them. Sometimes pax at the ABIA terminals drop the pin in the wrong area. Also, there is another terminal south of the ABIA. Always call first. Good luck.
Lol you obviously did not comprehend what he wrote... He had the pax IN the car when it took him the wrong way to the AP.

"Hello Pax... I can't seem to locate you."
"Turn around. I'm in your car"

Muhahahah

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
[QUOTE="The GPS guided me from the riders home to the back door of the airport.[/QUOTE]

You cannot depend on the GPS navigation to get you to the departure or arrival terminal at ABIA. From Del Valley, or from US 183 or from Hwy 71. Repeat - you cannot depend on the GPS to get to ABIA. It is unreliable and sometimes erroneous.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
This thread came to mind on a pickup on Friday night late. I saw the 3600 Presidential address. Knew better, and let the pax know we drivers do discuss things like this online.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
[QUOTE="The GPS guided me from the riders home to the back door of the airport.
You cannot depend on the GPS navigation to get you to the departure or arrival terminal at ABIA. From Del Valley, or from US 183 or from Hwy 71. Repeat - you cannot depend on the GPS to get to ABIA. It is unreliable and sometimes erroneous. [/QUOTE]
You can if you have the right address: 16 presidential blvd.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts