Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

· Premium Member
Recovering Longhauler
29,825 Posts
I can say from personal experience they don't deactivate for only taking Surge rides or my ass would've been gone long ago.

There HAD to be more. Canceling and cherry-picking perhaps.

· Premium Member
9,929 Posts
I can say from personal experience they don't deactivate for only taking Surge rides or my ass would've been gone long ago.

There HAD to be more. Canceling and cherry-picking perhaps.
Wouldn't it be nice if for once, a news story actually tells the public how BAD the base rates are for drivers.

A short ride out of LAX will yield a driver $2.50, while upfront pricing can yield uber $8 or more from that same ride, but good luck expecting the news media to report that.

Typically, this story portrays drivers as money-grabbers cheating both uber and the poor entitled pax

· Registered
5,572 Posts
it would be nice to see a reporter who actually knew about the issue they are reporting on but I guess they can't really be an expert at anything except reporting. The drivers interviewed have had the exact same experiences I have had at dca. You see the airport surge so you go there and wait. And then the surge ride doesn't come. This has happened to me twice at DCA. DCA is not profitable without surge. Therefore I choose not to wait for or accept any DCA pings.

The reported needs to understand the math going on here. These LA drivers are getting 2.50 minimum payouts at base rate, 33% lower then DC, it is just not mathematically livable. He just does not understand. That 2.50 is before expenses.

These drivers when they talk to these reporters they need to bring up expenses first thing. Even at 2.5x surge they getting what 6.25, before expenses, that still sucks.

Mininum airport payout for driver should be at least $10. It is expected there will be luggage which is more work. It is expected to always take more time then a normal ride due to more traffic in and around the airport.

The problem here is that Uber is paying drivers so little that drivers are now resorting to undesirable tactics (surge rides only, cherrypicking/cancelling rides). Ubers fix? Deactivate the drivers.

North Korea uses similar tactics on its population.

· Registered
841 Posts
it would be nice to see a reporter who actually knew about the issue they are reporting on but I guess they can't really be an expert at anything except reporting. The drivers interviewed have had the exact same experiences I have had at dca. You see the airport surge so you go there and wait. And then the surge ride doesn't come. This has happened to me twice at DCA. DCA is not profitable without surge. Therefore I choose not to wait for or accept any DCA pings.

The reported needs to understand the math going on here. These LA drivers are getting 2.50 minimum payouts at base rate, 33% lower then DC, it is just not mathematically livable. He just does not understand. That 2.50 is before expenses.

These drivers when they talk to these reporters they need to bring up expenses first thing. Even at 2.5x surge they getting what 6.25, before expenses, that still sucks.

Mininum airport payout for driver should be at least $10. It is expected there will be luggage which is more work. It is expected to always take more time then a normal ride due to more traffic in and around the airport.

The problem here is that Uber is paying drivers so little that drivers are now resorting to undesirable tactics (surge rides only, cherrypicking/cancelling rides). Ubers fix? Deactivate the drivers.

North Korea uses similar tactics on its population.
This just really makes me more mad whenever I hear stories like these. I Could just imagine th pain and suffering that these drivers are facing everyday that they are out on the road just to make a decent living, and yet, these Uber still continue to rip off and rather punish these drivers.

· Premium Member
3,159 Posts
I assume the reason for the termination was that they were manipulating surge. A bunch of drivers got together in one area, logged off
or went offline at once and only logged on when surge developed at whatever multiplier they decided on. I've been driving part time for nearly two years and have known that you risk deactivation when this occurs. Fair or not, it should not be a surprise.

· Premium Member
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you do not want to provide good service at base rates than just wait, it seems that Uber has your number and will deactivate accordingly.
Or may be you give them a call.
I will the you how we call that kind of " friend" but you already know.
As always, on the other side. One of this days we'll start calling you UBERLAWYER.
You can do joyrides for base pay all you want.
I make use of my time, the way I see fit.GOT IT!!!!

· Premium Member
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
UBERLAWYER, aka Uberfunitis,even drivers have rights!!!
Remember the Independent Contractor BS.
It allow us to drive where and when we want.
As long as the cancellation fee is low, the rest is up to me.
Don’t tell mw what I can and CANNOT do. You should know better already.
Cite where in the TOS says that I am obligated to drive for bae pay.
I WILL choose where and where to drive, considering my expenses and profit needs, while still honoring the TOS agreement.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.