Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a pax in my car last night, started chatting a bit, then he mentioned we worked for Uber. I don't know why, but I got a feeling like I was driving my boss.

Anyways, he was saying he worked in a dept that tries to improve functionality, etc.. and wanted my feedback on things.

I gave him some suggestions how things can be approved, like for example, getting notifications through the partner app when an event / concert / etc.. is about to get let out and go there for pick ups rather than drive around aimlessly waiting for a ping.

He was super cool and nice. Though he mentioned he never drove as an Uber driver and thought he should to see how its like.

I wonder how many people that work AT Uber actually experimented in driving a bit?

·
Banned
6,865 Posts
... I had a guy who was the head of recruiting for international accounting, a British accent older white guy in t-shirt and jeans who needed to go to Ubet HQ, an eastern European woman who's the director of community something for Uber in Eastern Europe, a marketing director, several software engineers ... All worked for Uber ...

·
Premium Member
60,664 Posts
I had a pax in my car last night, started chatting a bit, then he mentioned we worked for Uber. I don't know why, but I got a feeling like I was driving my boss.

Anyways, he was saying he worked in a dept that tries to improve functionality, etc.. and wanted my feedback on things.

I gave him some suggestions how things can be approved, like for example, getting notifications through the partner app when an event / concert / etc.. is about to get let out and go there for pick ups rather than drive around aimlessly waiting for a ping.

He was super cool and nice. Though he mentioned he never drove as an Uber driver and thought he should to see how its like.

I wonder how many people that work AT Uber actually experimented in driving a bit?
It should be mandatory for all.

3 months minimum of 40 hours a week.

All shifts.

Can't deal with something you know nothing of.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've had a number of Uber employees in my car. They make up the bulk of my scant few Select passengers, as they get comped for their trips. One woman had me loading six bags of groceries at Trader Joes and then she nearly demanded that I make an illegal U-turn in order to pull into her driveway. I hit a little pothole and a nice little tub of dark chocolate pistachios jumped out of her bag and into my trunk. I found them there later that evening and they were delicious...

I even got a bit of juicy gossip about a new service that's in the pipeline that will significantly impact us drivers, but I pinky-promised not to share it with you all.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Ugh - I picked up an extremely sauced Lyft employee while driving on Lyft, and she made a comment about how I was wearing Uber sunglasses (the only pair I had in the car at the time). It was something annoying along the lines of "you should be wearing something with Lyft on it".

I wanted to kick the #^%# out, but managed to bite my tongue and throw something out like, "Most comfortable sunglasses I've ever had, they know how to do it!"

She just sort of laughed - and she did not tip. Do they ever tip?

·
Registered
110 Posts
So... if your story is true, you have more loyalty to Uber than you do to the rank-and-file on this forum? Pick a side; you can't be on both.
Seriously? You think I'm serious here? Okay, I'll spill the beans: We're all going to be given brand new Tesla Model 3s in which to drive our passengers around. After 20 rides, with a 90% acceptance rate and 4.7 stars, the car is yours and you get a $50,000 bonus.

Select drivers, such as myself, will be placed in Model S Teslas. I've already requested mine in obsidian black with the rubberized floor mats for those unruly, late night drunken PAXs.

I'd pick your side in your war, but that would mean that I'd have to quit Uber and Lyft, because only a fool would allow himself to be exploited, whilst paying from his own pocket, for the tools used in that exploitation.

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
They will never ever have a clue til they drive it them selves. 6 months hard time ought to do it. ;)

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
I'd pick your side in your war, but that would mean that I'd have to quit Uber and Lyft, because only a fool would allow himself to be exploited, whilst paying from his own pocket, for the tools used in that exploitation.
So by that rationale, the deciding factor in whether or not a driver is a fool who is being exploited is whether or not he has picked a side.

I think it's a bit more complex than that.

·
Registered
110 Posts
So by that rationale, the deciding factor in whether or not a driver is a fool who is being exploited is whether or not he has picked a side.

I think it's a bit more complex than that.
I'm saying that if I thought the relationship with Uber was as bad as you apparently do, I'd simply quit. I wouldn't allow them the use of my vehicle and my labor while I stood by and griped about how hard-put I am.

Uber is a business, and the business of business is nothing less than to maximize shareholder value. They'd be remiss if they didn't utilize every opportunity to cut costs. If cutting costs means that they throw their drivers under the bus, then so be it, that's what they're going to do. The truth is that, as far as Uber is concerned, we're nothing more than provisional equipment units, to be utilized in the interim period between now and the advent of fully autonomous, self-driving vehicles. I understand this completely. In fact, I might even have a more cynical outlook than you, but I don't take it personally to the point where I feel a need to take sides. If I felt butt-hurt over our soon-to-be redundant arrangement with Uber, I'd either quit or I'd choose my battle and put my energy into a solution.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
I'm saying that if I thought the relationship with Uber was as bad as you apparently do, I'd simply quit. I wouldn't allow them the use of my vehicle and my labor while I stood by and griped about how hard-put I am.

Uber is a business, and the business of business is nothing less than to maximize shareholder value. They'd be remiss if they didn't utilize every opportunity to cut costs. If cutting costs means that they throw their drivers under the bus, then so be it, that's what they're going to do. The truth is that, as far as Uber is concerned, we're nothing more than provisional equipment units, to be utilized in the interim period between now and the advent of fully autonomous, self-driving vehicles. I understand this completely. In fact, I might even have a more cynical outlook than you, but I don't take it personally to the point where I feel a need to take sides. If I felt butt-hurt over our soon-to-be redundant arrangement with Uber, I'd either quit or I'd choose my battle and put my energy into a solution.
Just another noob who reads things into other people's posts that aren't there. Yes, I do believe that the relationship is adversarial; to think that the Uber / driver relationship is some kind of collaborative partnership would be naive and foolish.

Looks like reading comprehension may not be your strong suit. Not to worry; it isn't everyone's. To clarify for you then, I did not say in my post that:

My relationship with Uber is "bad"
-or-
I am "hard-put"
-or-
I take Uber's treatment of drivers personally
-or-
I feel "butt-hurt"

If you want to know what I feel about Uber, instead of pompously telling me what I feel, you could try asking me. In which case I would tell you that fare cuts, driver saturation, cost reduction and other tactics are just business, no more and no less. I certainly don't feel aggrieved by anything Uber does.

Uber has its agenda to maximze its profit and I have mine. These are, to a large degree, mutually exclusive and therefore no, we are not on the same side.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Encountering you has been much like stepping into a steaming fresh dog turd. Instead of scraping you off with a stick, I'll simply be adding you to my ignore list. Welcome to my kill filter, Champ.
Oh dear! What a graphic and colorful reaction! "Impotent rage", "torture", "pathetic tale of woe" etc etc. Quite imaginitive, I suppose, but way too theatrical / dramatic. It tooks like I may have upset you considerably. My apologies; I did not realize you were the fragile / delicate type.

If I conmunicate with you again, I will certainly take your fragility into account, champ, lol.

·
Banned
2,822 Posts

My solution is to defecate in those self driving cars

1 - 20 of 23 Posts