Uber Drivers Forum banner

Are those earnings results considered decent based on time/miles driven?

• Yes

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • They're ok

Votes: 2 50.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I described in another post that I did rideshare a while back with Uber. Then I stopped after four months due to lack of time with responsibilties from the real job and family.

Just last week, I decided to start doing UberEats delivery during my lunch hour while I'm out visiting clients. I'm usually at the same client's office one week at a time. So, I head out to an area with several fast food places, hang out, and do a delivery or two in an hour. The area I'm currently in has this little "sweet spot" with constant pings during lunch hour..maybe a 5 minute wait at most.

Results are as follows thus far:

$38.41 earrned, Drove 14.32 miles, total delivery time 1 hr, 4 minutes over six days. Oh, and I got a free bag of chips from Moe's today. I asked the clerk while waiting a couple of minutes for the order and reached for my wallet but he said it was on the house. Pretty cool.

I'm just doing this to offset my daily lunch expenses for days I work at a client's office. Does anyone know how to calculate profits net of expenses and what can be deducted? Or can you link me to a forum that discusses this if you know of one? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
I use total time online on the app + any commute you have to/from your starting and ending points to calculate how much I'm making per hour. Others calculate how much they are making per mile. Delivery time is only from food pickup to actual delivery, right? Guessing -- I don't do Eats, so I don't know what would be considered "good."

Be sure to track your business miles somehow. They are deductible at $.545 per mile, I believe. You're not driving a lot of mileage, but it will add up over time. Business miles is miles driven online -- whether or not you get a ping.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use total time online on the app + any commute you have to/from your starting and ending points to calculate how much I'm making per hour. Others calculate how much they are making per mile. Delivery time is only from food pickup to actual delivery, right? Guessing -- I don't do Eats, so I don't know what would be considered "good."

Be sure to track your business miles somehow. They are deductible at $.545 per mile, I believe. You're not driving a lot of mileage, but it will add up over time. Business miles is miles driven online -- whether or not you get a ping.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
I described in another post that I did rideshare a while back with Uber. Then I stopped after four months due to lack of time with responsibilties from the real job and family.

Just last week, I decided to start doing UberEats delivery during my lunch hour while I'm out visiting clients. I'm usually at the same client's office one week at a time. So, I head out to an area with several fast food places, hang out, and do a delivery or two in an hour. The area I'm currently in has this little "sweet spot" with constant pings during lunch hour..maybe a 5 minute wait at most.

Results are as follows thus far:

$38.41 earrned, Drove 14.32 miles, total delivery time 1 hr, 4 minutes over six days. Oh, and I got a free bag of chips from Moe's today. I asked the clerk while waiting a couple of minutes for the order and reached for my wallet but he said it was on the house. Pretty cool.

I'm just doing this to offset my daily lunch expenses for days I work at a client's office. Does anyone know how to calculate profits net of expenses and what can be deducted? Or can you link me to a forum that discusses this if you know of one? Thanks.
Wait till you get your first mcd delivery to an apartment complex with a gate. Your average total time per trip will balloon from 10 minutes (assuming you did 6 trips in that 64 minute window) to 30 minutes. And hourly will go from $36 to $8.

Risking your car and life for $6 a day just doesn't seem like it's worth it. But if you can maintain your current metrics you're doing great.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wait till you get your first mcd delivery to an apartment complex with a gate. Your average total time per trip will balloon from 10 minutes (assuming you did 6 trips in that 64 minute window) to 30 minutes. And hourly will go from $36 to $8.

Risking your car and life for $6 a day just doesn't seem like it's worth it. But if you can maintain your current metrics you're doing great.
Thanks for letting me know those are good results. I'm working from a client's office in Ft. Lauderdale so this little "sweet spot" is probably not going to be as easy to find when I'm back in Miami and am doing this somewhere near my home (FIU/Belen area). Traffic is worse there.

I did deliver today to two gated apartment complexes. Those were the last two deliveries on my list. One of them, I had to call the dude and then he was wandering around the parking lot on his bike. Strange dropoff method but this is Uber. The next one, I had to call the girl after she didn't answer the door in about 1 minute. She was asleep, high, or both. Awkward chick but, repeat after me - this is Uber.

You made me think though and I realize that two of those deliveries were from Moe's and I waited (inside, car off) each time about 3 minutes for the food to be ready. So my total minutes spent is probably higher. The information in the table is from the Uber app fare details. The other four deliveries, I walked in and the food was ready. But the thing is or my theory is that most UberEats deliveries are going to be about 10 minutes away because why would someone order food that takes 1/2 an hour to arrive? Also, I wouldn't accept a delivery that would take more than five minutes to get to the restaurant to pick it up. But in this area, I was literally sitting outside the Moe's and the other restaurant was a 1 minute walk. McD's was a 3 minute drive from there. About me risking my life, I don't really feel I'm taking any great risk. I'm just driving around same as I do when I decide to just wander around at lunch time and stop at Publix of Office Depot or something.

I'm thinking that back in Miami, I'm going to try to do it based around a couple of areas that have a Moe's and a few other options nearby. Moe's always has huge lines and tends to have a young crowd there always so I'm hoping they tend to have lots of UberEats orders. Thursday or Friday of this week, I should be able to try it for a 4 hour shift and will see what the metrics come out to and update then. I'm also curious to see if I can get some free food by doing what I did at Moe's when I asked for an order of chips while waiting for the food. I was intending to pay but may have stumbled upon a decent method to get a free meal. :) We'll see.

In the end, when I was doing the pax thing and now with this, I'm just doing it for extra money and to pass time - "fun" money in other words. I seemed to notice that people on the forum that were most upset were typically ones that this was a full-time thing as opposed to a "side hustle (hate that term) which is understandable, of course.

·
Premium Member
11,432 Posts
Did you try getting doordash? I personally like them better because they seem to have a wider selection near my house as a customer.

Also delivery dudes, grubhub, I have used as well. There is eat24 and postmates but never tried them.

Also many of these restaurants seem to only use 1 service at a time probably because of high commissions and waiting for promotions. They may he on delivery dudes for a few weeks, and then switch to grubhub

·
Registered
183 Posts
Here's what I do and it doesn't matter what service (Eats, Pool, X, XL, SUV, Lux, LuxSUV):
  • Gross Earnings (what Uber and/or Lyft pays you)
  • Miles (total driven miles from start to finish; that include online or offline - why offline? dead miles returning home if you can't even do DF)
  • Time (total time from start to finish; again include dead time getting back home or time getting to your starting location)
  • Costs
    • Per Mileage Cost for your vehicle - (you may use as reference: https://exchange.aaa.com/automotive/driving-costs/#.WxWlY2fFhFI but keep in mind that these calculations are for average vehicle use - perhaps in your case for the occasional uberEats may apply - but for other services putting above 30k miles/yr for a part-time/weekend driver to over 100k miles/yr for full-time driver you may want to double the cost/mile shown) x Miles = Total Miles Costs
    • All Tolls - from the moment you start to the moment you end (even offline returning home or work or wherever)
    • All Meals - if I need to eat something to keep at it, I count that as a cost as well
    • Car Washes - for uberEats this may not apply but for other services it may; if you care about your appearance and that of your car
    • Other - any other costs you may incur; for example for uberEats a case of Febreze to eliminate food odors
  1. Add all the costs to get your Costs = Total Miles Costs + All Tolls + All Meals + Car Washes + Other
  2. Subtract from Gross Earnings - Costs = Net Earnings/Profit or Loss
  3. You can determine:
    1. Profit/Loss per miles = (Net Earnings/Profit or Loss)/Miles
    2. Profit/Loss per hour = (Net Earnings/Profit or Loss)/Time <---- this will help you compare against other jobs that pay per hour
So, if you don't mind your time, you can just focus on how much profit you're making - your net earnings.

If you value your time, then you can focus on how much profit per hour you're making. This way you can compare if you're making $10/hr. or $20/hr. or minimum wage or worst. This might help you decide if you really want to spend your time for this kind of return for your time or you can use that time and spend it with your family or just relaxing during lunch, the weekend, etc.

Hope that helps! Enjoy! :cool:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's what I do and it doesn't matter what service (Eats, Pool, X, XL, SUV, Lux, LuxSUV):
  • Gross Earnings (what Uber and/or Lyft pays you)
  • Miles (total driven miles from start to finish; that include online or offline - why offline? dead miles returning home if you can't even do DF)
  • Time (total time from start to finish; again include dead time getting back home or time getting to your starting location)
  • Costs
    • Per Mileage Cost for your vehicle - (you may use as reference: https://exchange.aaa.com/automotive/driving-costs/#.WxWlY2fFhFI but keep in mind that these calculations are for average vehicle use - perhaps in your case for the occasional uberEats may apply - but for other services putting above 30k miles/yr for a part-time/weekend driver to over 100k miles/yr for full-time driver you may want to double the cost/mile shown) x Miles = Total Miles Costs
    • All Tolls - from the moment you start to the moment you end (even offline returning home or work or wherever)
    • All Meals - if I need to eat something to keep at it, I count that as a cost as well
    • Car Washes - for uberEats this may not apply but for other services it may; if you care about your appearance and that of your car
    • Other - any other costs you may incur; for example for uberEats a case of Febreze to eliminate food odors
  1. Add all the costs to get your Costs = Total Miles Costs + All Tolls + All Meals + Car Washes + Other
  2. Subtract from Gross Earnings - Costs = Net Earnings/Profit or Loss
  3. You can determine:
    1. Profit/Loss per miles = (Net Earnings/Profit or Loss)/Miles
    2. Profit/Loss per hour = (Net Earnings/Profit or Loss)/Time <---- this will help you compare against other jobs that pay per hour
So, if you don't mind your time, you can just focus on how much profit you're making - your net earnings.

If you value your time, then you can focus on how much profit per hour you're making. This way you can compare if you're making $10/hr. or $20/hr. or minimum wage or worst. This might help you decide if you really want to spend your time for this kind of return for your time or you can use that time and spend it with your family or just relaxing during lunch, the weekend, etc.

Hope that helps! Enjoy! :cool:
Thank you. That's really exactly what I was looking for. Something that comes to Us realistic a number as possible. Not deducting expenses, today I essentially made about $20 but I would like to have a realistic number factors in gas used and all those other factors you mentioned. Time to get the spreadsheet together.

Did you try getting doordash? I personally like them better because they seem to have a wider selection near my house as a customer.

Also delivery dudes, grubhub, I have used as well. There is eat24 and postmates but never tried them.

Also many of these restaurants seem to only use 1 service at a time probably because of high commissions and waiting for promotions. They may he on delivery dudes for a few weeks, and then switch to grubhub
I have not tried any of those other services because I was already registered with Uber. I only found out about doordash a few days ago. I haven't ever seen a sign on a restaurant door even advertising it so I heard about it here on the Forum. Also, since this is just kind of a side gig for meet to pass some time and get a little money, I don't want to go with another service if they're going to require a car inspection because I wont be doing this enough to make it worth the fee. But if things change at least I know those services are also out there as an option. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
11,432 Posts
Delivery dudes is based out of delray I think and is popular as well. I urinated in their parking lot one night lol

I think some of these guys require uniforms too so you may need to change before deliveries

1 - 9 of 9 Posts