Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Uber Peeps

Has anybody found out the rates for Uber Eats.

I emailed the support asking about it, but they basically said all details would be divulged when I went into the Driver centre to register

Thanks

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I'm curious too.

The only thing I don't like about Uber eats is that your car would end up smelling like take away.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Given I am a keen cyclist, I'm thinking of doing Ubereats on my bicycle between say 6:30pm to 8:30pm if Uberx is slow...but need to work out if the return is better than Uberx or not during that time period

·
Registered
86 Posts
im just wondering how uber would compete with so many existing food deliverers, e.g. deliveroos, menulog... all powerful competitors...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im just wondering how uber would compete with so many existing food deliverers, e.g. deliveroos, menulog... all powerful competitors...
none of them have the size or reach of Uber globally (obviously in existing markets they will already)

But the sheer number of people with the Uber app installed on their phones means Uber can market to these people in a way the others can't. Add on services will be the way forwards for Uber to increase the PAX spend with Uber

·
Registered
117 Posts
Do not believe everything you hear from uber or the press. The uber eats rates are same as uberX. The only difference no surge anytime.

Things to consider.

1) no surge rates for the food delivery.
2) uber take 20-25% of the fare.
3) uber currently paying Melbourne drivers minimum $20 per trip. This incentive will be stopped soon.
4) uber does not currently charge the food places anything. Uber gave them a FREE trial on the platform for 3 months. After the free period the food places pay uber 25% of the food bill.

So even though some journalists are sprooking how great uber eats is just wait till the FREE period ends. Restaurants and most food places operate on extremely thin margins and giving uber 25% of the bill is a huge amount. I think it's unsustainable. Just look uber eats started in New York it is now not available in New York. Uber closer it down a few months ago their explanation was not financially viable.

As Melbourbe drivers have done take the free $20 minimum per delivery whilst it lasts then opt out when it becomes $6 drop offs.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The biggest downfall is that if you sign up for Uber Eats you Cannot do uberx alone...you can login to your account to only do uber eats delivery...but you cant do uber x alone.....you will have a smelly car and some unhappy pax if you are transporting people and food on the same night..

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
none of them have the size or reach of Uber globally (obviously in existing markets they will already)

But the sheer number of people with the Uber app installed on their phones means Uber can market to these people in a way the others can't. Add on services will be the way forwards for Uber to increase the PAX spend with Uber
Chances are we will be competing with couriers soon. I look forward to delivering parcels with UberX a lot more than delivering food. That's more suited to those on scooters and bikes.

·
Premium Member
3,626 Posts
Uber_Eastie as a guideline, Melbourne's Eats rates are $10 per delivery and $1.40 per km, no payment for time. These are pre-Uber fee numbers. Sydney should be having something similar.

Now that it's cold, higher bolume of deliveries when people don't want to venture out for food.

Weekend Uber Eats here is insane. Last Sunday incentive hours were 6-9pm, from 6-7.30pm I had stack after stack after stack with no break. It's partly because I'm logged on to the Eats-only profile and 6-7.30pm is surge time. Most restaurants are located in inner city suburbs with high chance of surge. If you were in a 2.5x zone, you'd most probably ignore an Eats ping and hold out for a surge ping.

End result: Food goes cold, some customers cancel orders, restaurants bear the loss... And therefore Uber has to keep offering incentives and onboarding new delivery people to try to meet the delivery demand.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got a call from Uber to get me to sign up to Eats. I said yeah why not? WRONG! They said they would send me out a food bag (which they would take a deposit of $30 from my next pay). When I signed on I had to agree to a whole new set of T&C (same % share of fare though). Then I was on for over an hour before I got a single fare - and guess what sort of fare it was? It was a Uber Eats fare of course!! - stupid me I didnt even bother looking at what type of fare it was and ended up having to pick up some takeaway - no warm bag so my car stunk the whole night. No parking outside restaurant, no parking outside house so I had to park illegally. I made $9 for being on 1.5hrs. I suspect Uber is allocating only Uber Eats to anyone who signs up and nil UberX jobs. Dont sign up until you find out more. Scammers!

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
the was an article in Melbourne Age about it which explained a few things

businesses geared to goobereats are setting up - even without a shopfront - for the home delivery trade

at the moment there are heavy subsidies sponsored by these businesses to obviously get the drivers on board

I can imagine goober will do it's customary 'race to the bottom' BUT IN BOTH DIRECTIONS - supplier and deliverer

they are really counting on their infamy to out-market the competition

and in the same way they are trying to compete with public transport, they will get you blokes to compete with the poor bleeders who deliver our pizza

1 - 20 of 53 Posts