Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
It's seems all those supposedly base loving low life people (as most members like to call them, ignorantly I may add) have started to demand their rights and unionized as well. And all us in Vic are still doing is being vocal against other races and doing nothing. Didn't even manage a meet up, let alone a formal action.

Need to wake up and leave our prejudices at home.

·
Banned
2,547 Posts
Unfortunately, the base kings and queens here in Melbourne... are so happy to drive non stop base...

These kings and queens of base, need to stay offline til surge, until they can master that concept, they will hold back any progress in rates etc.
Strike??? They can't even offline when required. !! They drive with pax and auto accept any stacked pings, ... Instead of ' no further requests'.
They don't use a third party surge app...

Why strike for these drivers,? they plead ,"we need the money" ..." Can't survive", yet.. Do all the wrong things. Follow no appropriate tactics...bag the surge drivers, blame everyone but themselves.

Stop whinging, base kings and queens,
Start being proactive, stay offline, (strike)... Or shut the FUp!

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
One important point being missed here is that all the effective unions throughout history provided 'strike pay' and hardship allowances to members that needed it. This money came from a pool of funds built up from union 'dues' or fees paid weekly by working union members Unions also typically had members working in an industry, not just one company. And they also supported each other - if union A's members were striking, union B, C and D would put money into Union A's strike fund. So, the reality for many drivers is that they need the money they get driving for Uber, as little as it might be. Is there a group of drivers willing to pay other drivers not to go online? I think I know the answer to this, but I'll be happy to be proven wrong. Nowadays, unfortunately, the talk is about oppression i.e. "scabs"," fire bomb their cars", etc, rather than support for fellow drivers in genuine need.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Rubbish. Wrong attitude!....... Taxi drivers showed exactly what they can do just a few days ago. With much more to come.
When this uber came around ppl assumed we are different from taxi drivers. Only difference is we drive a car for half the price and feel as we are empowered. However the good old cabbie had more rights than an Uber driver can ever imagine.
If there is one thing ive learnt in life it is that without friction there is no growth. Time we applied some friction where uber dislikes it the most.. to their bottom line and customer base. Do that however you can. If im going down im taking uber with me

·
Banned
2,547 Posts
One important point being missed here is that all the effective unions throughout history provided 'strike pay' and hardship allowances to members that needed it. This money came from a pool of funds built up from union 'dues' or fees paid weekly by working union members Unions also typically had members working in an industry, not just one company. And they also supported each other - if union A's members were striking, union B, C and D would put money into Union A's strike fund. So, the reality for many drivers is that they need the money they get driving for Uber, as little as it might be. Is there a group of drivers willing to pay other drivers not to go online? I think I know the answer to this, but I'll be happy to be proven wrong. Nowadays, unfortunately, the talk is about oppression i.e. "scabs"," fire bomb their cars", etc, rather than support for fellow drivers in genuine need.
Mmm..maybe ,
But I doubt the Qatar drivers or Paris drivers, or any drivers striking against uber around the globe...receive strike money,or are officially unionised with union fees going to a ' fund'.

SHORT TERM LOSS FOR LONG TERM GAIN!... they all understand this.

If a driver in Melbourne is so low that a day ,a week ,a fortnight, offline( strike).. Will put them under financially,...then its just stalling the inevitable, anyway.

go on the dole, and get a real JOB, ...

This is not a full time ,long term job.

There are enough seasoned and intelligent drivers to take the game up to uber,...
But then we have the base kings and queens.. Who just won't go offline...

Stuffing it up for all.

Go offline(strike)...
For a day, a week, a fortnight.

Only way...Basie's.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Mmm..maybe ,
But I doubt the Qatar drivers or Paris drivers, or any drivers striking against uber around the globe...receive strike money,or are officially unionised with union fees going to a ' fund'.

SHORT TERM LOSS FOR LONG TERM GAIN!... they all understand this.

If a driver in Melbourne is so low that a day ,a week ,a fortnight, offline( strike).. Will put them under financially,...then its just stalling the inevitable, anyway.

go on the dole, and get a real JOB, ...

This is not a full time ,long term job.

There are enough seasoned and intelligent drivers to take the game up to uber,...
But then we have the base kings and queens.. Who just won't go offline...

Stuffing it up for all.

Go offline(strike)...
For a day, a week, a fortnight.

Only way...Basie's.
"SHORT TERM LOSS FOR LONG TERM GAIN!... they all understand this." My point is precisely and with respect they do not understand this. The union members of old suffered a short term loss each week by paying the dues into a fund, and you're correct this is not happening in Qatar or France - these drivers are probably being threatened with strike-breaker backlash action if they don't strike. This is not something that I view as being ethically correct in 2017 Australia. The rest of what you say is filled with obvious passion, however the "Basies" are I believe in the vast majority and until another way is found to get them on board you may as well follow your own advice "go on the dole, and get a real JOB" (your words, not mine) however I don't want to go to Centrelink nor am I going to get a 'real' job and fortunately for my family and I, we don't need union strike pay.

·
Banned
2,547 Posts
"SHORT TERM LOSS FOR LONG TERM GAIN!... they all understand this." My point is precisely and with respect they do not understand this. The union members of old suffered a short term loss each week by paying the dues into a fund, and you're correct this is not happening in Qatar or France - these drivers are probably being threatened with strike-breaker backlash action if they don't strike. This is not something that I view as being ethically correct in 2017 Australia. The rest of what you say is filled with obvious passion, however the "Basies" are I believe in the vast majority and until another way is found to get them on board you may as well follow your own advice "go on the dole, and get a real JOB" (your words, not mine) however I don't want to go to Centrelink nor am I going to get a 'real' job and fortunately for my family and I, we don't need union strike pay.
Yep,uber induced vast majority...
Swamped us.
But, sooner or later these full time basies will work it out, hopefully sooner.
Go offline a little, for a little bit longer,
...would be a good start .

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
I am on strike :)

Just logged in as its 1.7 where I am. Got 5 base pings then surge dropped like a dead fly. Sad when the base fare comes twice. Sorry I am not leaving home for a base. Tonight when I go to city I will set filter and call customer to confirm destination. If station = cancel :rolleyes:

Back to my resume :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
It's seems all those supposedly base loving low life people (as most members like to call them, ignorantly I may add) have started to demand their rights and unionized as well. And all us in Vic are still doing is being vocal against other races and doing nothing. Didn't even manage a meet up, let alone a formal action.

Need to wake up and leave our prejudices at home.
Unfortunately, the base kings and queens here in Melbourne... are so happy to drive non stop base...

These kings and queens of base, need to stay offline til surge, until they can master that concept, they will hold back any progress in rates etc.
Strike??? They can't even offline when required. !! They drive with pax and auto accept any stacked pings, ... Instead of ' no further requests'.
They don't use a third party surge app...

Why strike for these drivers,? they plead ,"we need the money" ..." Can't survive", yet.. Do all the wrong things. Follow no appropriate tactics...bag the surge drivers, blame everyone but themselves.

Stop whinging, base kings and queens,
Start being proactive, stay offline, (strike)... Or shut the FUp!
Agreed

·
Registered
128 Posts
Guys I know it's crap but for me it's just extra $200 in pocket a week for investing some hours in weekend, but for full time driver it's hard to survive with this, so u guys should take lead and do something ppl like me would help wherever we can.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts