Uber Drivers Forum banner

Uber drivers in California are now Uber employees

2K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  Tx rides 
#1 ·
Here is a link to a YouTube video y'all might want to take a look at it.

#12 ·
I don't. Which is why I want Uber to stop treating me like one. It's Uber's treatment of drivers like we are employees that makes it suck. When the judicial system makes it clear to Uber that the way they treat drivers makes them employees, Uber will have to start treating drivers like independent contractors.... because there is no way they can afford the legal burdens of all their drivers being employees.

#9 ·
Yeah if I'm made to be an employee of Uber i'm not sure I'll still drive. I would have to look at the pro's and cons of it. I know many of us are part timers for Uber with full time jobs so this could in a sense hurt us. Those that are full time Uber or in-between jobs doing Uber I think they will benefit the most from being classed as and Employee of Uber.

#13 ·
This is what has made it so mind boggling to me that they have continued to push their rate lowering, manipulation based agenda on us over these last few months. You'd think that if there were any living, breathing, intelligent people at Uber that they would have seen the writing on the wall from Cali and plenty of other bad publicity and maybe backed the **** off. But like any start up they think they have reinvented the wheel and they know better than anyone else what to do and how to do it. It is literally the startup Manifesto.

Sounds like a great time to rock the boat and get some bad publicity going for them in Texas....!!!! ;-)

#21 ·
I don't see how they legally could keep everyone in the independent contractor category cause a big part of that is not setting the rates for them.
They could do it fairly easily, but would have do eliminate the punitive policies like deactivating for declining trips. Just put the rides up, drivers can take them or leave them. They COULD keep the policy of deactivating, or even possibly a chargeback for cancellation once the trip is accepted. They'd probably have to collect destination addresses, in order to post the job rates. They would probably have to stop the guarantees, and start actually relying on the market to work without their artificial inflation, as some of those tactics have resulted in these gray areas. I would think that paxs would need to be able to pick their driver too...sort of an "eBay" model.

If they'd had any transportation business sense they would have set it up this way in the first place. Now it will suffer many PR blows because they've convinced paxs that a ride is on every corner, dirt cheap. Although, regardless of the ruling, they are ultimately going to have to cross that bridge.The days of city bus rates in a personal vehicle are numbered.

#23 · (Edited)
Why read the old news. As far as I can remember, Judge Chen is making that call. The commission is just a government agency that regulates. so to say

And they did this in June 16th ish,,

Judge Chen will decide whether or not 3 deactivated drivers represent 160,000 people.

I signed up based on what I was told.
That I am an independent contractor.
I am licensed to use the app.

The judge could

split this thing up let the 3 continue individually based on their individual experiences.
set major and minor classes.
Rule that future cases be handled case by case.
Dismiss it.
Find cause and still allow those driver's who wish to be independent be independent.

I'm sure both sides have strong cases...

#24 ·
I signed up based on what I was told.
That I am an independent contractor.
1. Many signed up based on what they were TOLD. That's part of the problem for many drivers as they made financial decisions based on misleading and at times completely false statements.

2. Texas law specifically states that employee status is not determined by what you are TOLD or what is asserted to by the employer. So that argument is specious.

#26 ·
Pressure to get more money...

You'd think the everage credit card debt and bank account balance would be enough incentive

You can opt out from receiving these emails, texts.

#28 ·
HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR RATING
There were a few things your riders thought could be better. Here are some tips on how to improve:

Professionalism
Riders count on Uber for a comfortable, relaxing experience. They prefer for drivers not to promote other businesses during the triptrip

This tidbit was on my last week report . I have a lyft logo on my door and no Uber logo. In the past I could have been deactivated for this, but now they understand that that would make them an employer, so they leave me alone. Being an independent contractor, a real one, is the solution to all their legal problem

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.