Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a reminder, your estimated taxes as an Uber driver must be filed by September 15th if you have made 400.00 or more from driving. This is not the first time this year you are filing taxes (otherwise it is referred to as tax evasion) so you know that you must pay taxes as an EMPLOYER (social security and medicare) as well as an employee.

So, it is time for you to sit down and realize that you, along with about 75% of uber drivers (according to scientific peer-reviewed academic studies), are losing money when you drive for Uber. This is especially relevant if you drive for non-surge fares. You WILL be stunned when you sit down and look at your "income" from driving and most likely will find you have been driving for free or even paying to drive riders around (when I started and didn't know different I was paying 1.37 per hour to drive for them but then realized I must drive surge if I am going to make any money at all).

So, figure out your taxes (employer and employee) as well as your expenses. The IRS allows for 54.5 cents business write-off per mile. Some argue this is not the actual costs....well, the government did not just come up with this number out of nowhere and as you know the government is not known to "give to the employee" so take this number seriously. If you take this standard deduction it includes all car repairs now and in the future which you will have. If you itemize then you will need receipts for everything.

Bottom line: SIT DOWN, DO YOUR QUARTERLY TAXES WHICH AS AN UBER DRIVER ARE DUE SEPTEMBER 15 (BY LAW OTHERWISE IT IS TAX EVASION), AND REALIZE THAT YOUR DRIVING FOR UBER UNDER THEIR NEW RATES AND NEARLY NON-SURGING MODEL THEY NOW USE IN CLEVELAND AND ELSEWHERE IS COSTING YOU SOME SERIOUS MONEY NOT TO MENTION YOUR TIME. You mean absolutely nothing to Uber. You are just a number and a figure. Each of you, guaranteed, are viewed as a "customer" to Uber and associated with your profile is how much money you make for them.

September 15th, 2018 US Quarterly Taxes Due for Uber Drivers....don't evade this as Uber does report your earnings to the IRS.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I’ve never paid taxes. Mileage is the greatest deduction. 53 cents per mile car washes and anything else you can deduct. Read the tax code. Uber didn’t even send 1099 if less than $20000

1 - 4 of 4 Posts