Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An Uber driver has been charged in Guelph after a traffic stop Saturday night, according to police.

Guelph Police say during a traffic stop on Macdonell Street at 11 p.m., it was determined a man was picking up fares as an Uber driver.

A 50-year-old man has been charged under the Highway Traffic Act with passenger pickup for compensation without authority, according to police.

It prohibits people from picking up passengers for a fee without a license.

Police say it is a $365 fine.

(kitchener.ctvnews.ca/uber-driver-charged-in-guelph-1.2561076)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The question is how police determine you are driving Uber passenger unless you admit it youself?
What's the recommended drill when police stops you with passenger?

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
When pulled over by police with a pax in the back seat:

(1) Lock your phone. If cop wants to see whats on it THEY MUST HAVE A SEARCH WARRANT FOR THE PHONE. put a password on the phone in case they seize it anyway. YOU ARE UNDER NO LEGAL OBLIGATION TO GIVE THEM THE PASSWORD.

(2) Tell your pax to STFU!!! YOU will do all the talking. Only info you're obliged to give is what's already on your drivers license....and thats only because you're driving. Pax doesn't have to tell him even the time of day. If cop asks who your pax is, what you're doing, or directs any questions to your pax, YOU will do all the answering and say: "With all due respects officer, I and my passenger(s) are under no legal obligation to give you that information." No matter what else the cop says, YOU STICK TO THAT LINE.

Reactions: keeper1

·
Premium Member
4,731 Posts
The question is how police determine you are driving Uber passenger unless you admit it youself?
What's the recommended drill when police stops you with passenger?
When police are out there conducting an Uber sting, it is usually an undercover police officer who orders an Uber and the destination is at another place where a uniformed cop writes you the ticket.

In the above story, it looks as though the Uber driver was stopped because of some sort of some non Uber related traffic violation in which it was then discovered that the driver was in an active Uber ride. Likely the Driver and/or passenger mentioned Uber which resulted in the fine.

djino

·
Premium Member
4,731 Posts
When pulled over by police with a pax in the back seat:

(1) Lock your phone. If cop wants to see whats on it THEY MUST HAVE A SEARCH WARRANT FOR THE PHONE. put a password on the phone in case they seize it anyway. YOU ARE UNDER NO LEGAL OBLIGATION TO GIVE THEM THE PASSWORD.
Agreed

(2) Tell your pax to STFU!!! YOU will do all the talking. Only info you're obliged to give is what's already on your drivers license....and thats only because you're driving. Pax doesn't have to tell him even the time of day. If cop asks who your pax is, what you're doing, or directs any questions to your pax, YOU will do all the answering and say: "With all due respects officer, I and my passenger(s) are under no legal obligation to give you that information." No matter what else the cop says, YOU STICK TO THAT LINE.
Unfortunately, since you do not have a personal relationship to the Uber rider, they have no incentive to keep quiet about Uber (unless you give them something to stay quiet about lol). So while I agree that you should tell your rider to keep quiet, they may feel nervous about doing such if the police officer questions them.

djino

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ontarios cops.
God forbid they look for crime , No , they want to ruin some poor buggers life by getting his insurance cancelled.
Cops way too fat and lazy to ticket Uber directly

1 - 6 of 6 Posts