Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law...charges-arrested-cobb/om6iB0CuJ5Ts1bCZoiUdkM/

Authorities in Cobb County said they have arrested an Uber driver who has outstanding warrants in Tennessee for attempted rape and other offenses.

Kevin Jerome is wanted on charges of attempted rape (two counts), aggravated burglary (three counts) and sexual battery (two counts), police spokeswoman Sarah O'Hara told Channel 2 Action News.

"The officer randomly ran his plate on Cumberland Parkway near Adams Lake Boulevard on Sunday afternoon" and discovered the charges, O'Hara said.

Police say Jerome was on-duty for Uber and had two passengers in his car.

Jerome is in the Cobb County jail with no bond.

·
Administrator
6,703 Posts
So the thing is, did these events occur in the year between the background checks Uber does? I didn't read the article.

Do they do yearly background checks?

Anyways...unless the PD passes along the info to Uber, how would they know?

Not defending Uber per se, just how can they keep tabs on all drivers?

·
Administrator
6,703 Posts
Does the background check include arrests/warrants or only convictions?
Unlike bench warrants, criminal warrants are issued by law enforcement. Most criminal warrants will show up on background checks, but in some cases it depends on where the warrant is issued from and who is checking criminal records."

Or there's this

Arrest and search warrants and their affidavits are kept separate from criminal court records until after the warrants are executed. After this execution, or implementation, of a warrant, such as the arrest of an individual resulting from an arrest warrant, both the warrant and the affidavit are transferred to that person's criminal file. Therefore, only executed warrants, which are not outstanding warrants, are in criminal files. Employment background checks typically do not report executed warrants.

So it all depends...

Sourced from
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FB2cQFggnMAE&usg=AOvVaw3lrjWPVf4BIAA-3Dwu1quQ

Reactions: IERide and emdeplam

·
Banned
2,822 Posts
So the thing is, did these events occur in the year between the background checks Uber does? I didn't read the article.

Do they do yearly background checks?

Anyways...unless the PD passes along the info to Uber, how would they know?

Not defending Uber per se, just how can they keep tabs on all drivers?
Since he wasn't convicted of anything yet, I doubt it would show up on a background check

·
Premium Member
2,254 Posts
This is Tennessee if you dont have a warrant you the judge or the law. I think being a minority is still a misdemeanor in half the state, and if you did hook up with someone from the state there are likely very extenuating circumstances.

·
Premium Member
6,874 Posts
This is Tennessee if you dont have a warrant you the judge or the law. I think being a minority is still a misdemeanor in half the state, and if you did hook up with someone from the state there are likely very extenuating circumstances.
Voice of experience?

·
Registered
170 Posts
The dirty little secret of the background check industry is that most of them do not include warrants, only convictions. When I spoke to a rep. with Transunion about it they claimed that warrants could not be used because they have not been proven guilty yet. Complete bullshit. The truth is the data on convictions is much easier for them to obtain.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Yes, the back ground check covers active warrants so long as the warrant is entered into NCIC and/or the state data base. Note: some state data bases are not linked to NCIC, in such a case back ground check might miss it.

Case in point.... an active driver in Colorado is charged with "investigation of sexual assault" which is different from a charge of "sexual assault". The former may not be reported to NCIC. Thus it might be missed.

·
Banned
19 Posts
"randomly" ran his plate means saw scary black guy didint have probable cause or due process but its legal & lets me stalk women & harass minorities & this time i hit the lotto, the other 99% of the time im just abusing my power

back in the day uber ran checks on half of sign ups, pocketed the "safe rider fees" on the other half & just said they did, till #metoo & too many rape or assualt accusations were made so they had to rerun all the old ones they didnt on top of 100% of new ones, so they kinda back logged

just more uber fraud nothing to see, violate till they get caught, pay fine which amounts to less than doing the right thing, rinse & repeat

the sooner people realize they dealing with organized crime the sooner they can use it to their advantage

until uber pays drivers least $5 more on all rides under 10 miles & raises per mile to $1.50 per minute .30 nationwide its all an evil calculated ponzi scam period

all other nonsense they put out is fraud & deception

1 - 20 of 26 Posts