Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Front-seat Pax. Early morning, Saturday July 2.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...e-passenger/TapQvSHZwoIbogHtD5dBcL/story.html

Several minutes into the ride along Routes 93 and 95, Clarke allegedly began asking the woman "personal questions about relationships and repeatedly asking her to kiss him, which she continually refused to do," troopers said. At one point, State Police said, Clarke allegedly handed her his phone, asking her to friend request him on the social media application SnapChat.

When the woman would not let Clarke kiss her, he began touching her inappropriately and making "obscene and sexually-themed statements," State Police said. She tried to turn her body away.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
Wish I could say I'm shocked but since January I've lost track the number of "creepy male Uber drivers" stories I've heard from my female pax. Some are just inappropriate questions to sexual assault (ie putting his hand between her legs or stalking her to her door). I drive primarily in Cambridge/Brighton and several young female college students told me they have switched to Lyft because there's at least 3 of us female drivers in this area. They've asked me about Saferher/Chariot and whether they can call me for late night pickups.

I drive for both Uber and Lyft, and I've yet to hear about a Lyft driver sexually harassing a pax.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Last night, a 45-year-old female asked to sit up front in my cab after calling me to a Longwood Medical Area building, going to JP.

Nope, not a young and drunk gal. Sober.

Weird. She knows nothing about me, but needs to sit up front?

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
3 or 4 years ago when uber was starting in Boston every body unfairly tried to bash cab drivers. Now with twenty two thousands uber driver and keep growing you got watch out for the creepy uber drivers. Too many drivers low rates and many dead miles. As old navy commercial used to say it is not job it is an adventure.

·
Premium Member
3,744 Posts
Yep....I've had numerous female passengers thanking me for "not being creepy".

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Besides the fact that it is gross and inappropriate, why would any Uber driver think they would get away with it? Did they forget that they gave all of their info to Uber when they signed up? Or think that when the ride is over, that Uber erases any record of the interaction? Glad this idiot got caught before something even worse happened, and I hope the victim will be ok.

·
Premium Member
3,320 Posts
Did I miss something? Is there any evidence to support the victim's allegations? Is this a case of she says, he says?
Besides the fact that it is gross and inappropriate, why would any Uber driver think they would get away with it? Did they forget that they gave all of their info to Uber when they signed up? Or think that when the ride is over, that Uber erases any record of the interaction? Glad this idiot got caught before something even worse happened, and I hope the victim will be ok.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Besides the fact that it is gross and inappropriate, why would any Uber driver think they would get away with it?
I'm going to go with "because they come from countries where this behavior is tolerated because nobody speaks up."

Had to pop back in for this one. Deactivated in April upon the vague accusation that I "almost hit three cars" on a trip. Well, that's the stated reason anyway.

So my 4.81 rating after 21 months of driving gets the heave-ho...but this guy drives for you? **** off, Uber. Like I told 'em: I'll get a better job, and you won't get a better driver. So far, I'm clearly at least half right.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
I'm going to go with "because they come from countries where this behavior is tolerated because nobody speaks up."

Had to pop back in for this one. Deactivated in April upon the vague accusation that I "almost hit three cars" on a trip. Well, that's the stated reason anyway.

So my 4.81 rating after 21 months of driving gets the heave-ho...but this guy drives for you? &%[email protected]!* off, Uber. Like I told 'em: I'll get a better job, and you won't get a better driver. So far, I'm clearly at least half right.
Clearly, Uber goes for quantity, not quality. :)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Delusional people. Also probably aren't close to any women in their lives. So when they are close they get REALLY excited.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
Why?
Some harassed female PAX are scared of retaliation from drivers who know their home addresses.

Some who have actually filed report, were left with impression by Uber the driver would just get a "good talking to" so were discouraged to pursue it further. I tell all to make sure Uber knows they plan to report to COPS, too. That's only way Uber pays attention.

And sadly some young female PAX are sorely uneducated on sexual harassment LAWS.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
As an immigrant myself, I sadly have to agree this is true in some cases.

I had an UberPool where 2 foreign guys were really hitting hard on my pretty 2 female passengers. I let it go until I noticed in rearview mirror one girl squirming and having deer caught in headlights look as she pushed away guy's hand. I pulled over and told the guy in Spanish to KNOCK it off and I don't tolerate my passengers being harassed or made to feel uncomfortable in my car. The guy was honestly shocked and felt I was over-reacting but I explained it's NOT ok to touch anyone without permission and they can get arrested in US for doing so. After I dropped off guys, the girls profusely thanked me and said never had a driver stand up for them before. I refused their nice tip because honestly I felt bad they felt this was "normal hassle" of UberPooling for females. Good grief, I was so upset I emailed Uber who of course didn't really care.

·
Registered
114 Posts
THIS. This is PRECISELY why I never pooled passengers. I would take Pool pings when they were surging, and then ignore all other pool requests on that trip. Uber didn't and doesn't pay well enough for me to babysit mingling strangers.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Wish I could say I'm shocked but since January I've lost track the number of "creepy male Uber drivers" stories I've heard from my female pax. Some are just inappropriate questions to sexual assault (ie putting his hand between her legs or stalking her to her door). I drive primarily in Cambridge/Brighton and several young female college students told me they have switched to Lyft because there's at least 3 of us female drivers in this area. They've asked me about Saferher/Chariot and whether they can call me for late night pickups.

I drive for both Uber and Lyft, and I've yet to hear about a Lyft driver sexually harassing a pax.
I dont even talk to all of my passengers unless they start a conversation.. usually it is a quiet ride..

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
As an immigrant myself, I sadly have to agree this is true in some cases.

I had an UberPool where 2 foreign guys were really hitting hard on my pretty 2 female passengers. I let it go until I noticed in rearview mirror one girl squirming and having deer caught in headlights look as she pushed away guy's hand. I pulled over and told the guy in Spanish to KNOCK it off and I don't tolerate my passengers being harassed or made to feel uncomfortable in my car. The guy was honestly shocked and felt I was over-reacting but I explained it's NOT ok to touch anyone without permission and they can get arrested in US for doing so. After I dropped off guys, the girls profusely thanked me and said never had a driver stand up for them before. I refused their nice tip because honestly I felt bad they felt this was "normal hassle" of UberPooling for females. Good grief, I was so upset I emailed Uber who of course didn't really care.
I disagree. There are bad people every where. How many times you hear on TV about tragedy on domestic issues and many times their names is resembles native born. I really think dating is much more easier and people are more open minded in Europe and South America. West coast and Midwest is much better than east coast.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
I dont even talk to all of my passengers unless they start a conversation.. usually it is a quiet ride..
May I ask are you female or male?

I suspect it's because I'm an older female that lots of young female college students feel more comfortable just starting a convo about sexual harassment. I've lost track how many comment I'm their first female driver.

·
Registered
401 Posts
May I ask are you female or male?

I suspect it's because I'm an older female that lots of young female college students feel more comfortable just starting a convo about sexual harassment. I've lost track how many comment I'm their first female driver.
male =]

you can tell by my avatar already.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
I disagree. There are bad people every where. How many times you hear on TV about tragedy on domestic issues and many times their names is resembles native born. I really think dating is much more easier and people are more open minded in Europe and South America. West coast and Midwest is much better than east coast.
IA on bad people coming from all cultures and nationalities.

However, we're not talking about "dating practices" but actual sexual harassment laws. I know personally Latino men who don't really understand the US laws are much more stringent and are shocked to learn that touching a woman without permission violates our statutes.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts