Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend was college graduation weekend so it was extremely busy my husband and I share a vehicle so either he is out driving or myself. This past Sunday early Monday morning my husband was out driving at 1:30am when he had a rider that was a young male around his late twenties that needed a ride from the "bad part of town" to another part of town. The ride was paid for by his Aunt. On the way to the destination the rider decided to tell my husband that he needed to stop by the gas station and began giving directions. When they arrived at the gas station the rider told my husband that he needed to run into the gas station for him and my husband told him that he was unable to do that. When the rider was told that he became agitated and began messing around with item in the vehicle for instance the radio, temperature controls, my sunglasses and so on. The rider then insisted on my husband letting him out which he did and after the rider took off my vehicle began to beep meaning the key was no longer in the vehicle (we have a push start vehicle with a smart key). My husband became extremely upset and scared because like stated before he was in a high crime area and wasn't sure how far the vehicle would travel without the key. My husband called me at home freaking out in which I grabbed my son and his car and we started towards where my husband last was and i told him to call the number associated with the ride to let her know that her nephew stole my keys and my sunglasses. He did so and found out the nephew is homeless and hooked on drugs. We called the cops and did a police report and we called Uber to report our keys stolen along with my sunglasses. Later on Monday morning I went and got a quote for my key which came to 479 dollars and submitted it to Uber. Since this correspondence Uber has yet to reimburse me for my sunglasses or my key and they keep saying they are checking on the situation. It has now been 36 hours. I am without a key for my vehicle which also included my house key and mailbox key. My vehicle can't be moved without a key and yet they aren't doing anything. This should have been taken care of within 24 hours the Aunt was aware of the situation and stated nephew likes to take keys. Please pass along as this was an unsafe situation and could have been a lot worse plus has let us stranded.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We let the Aunt know that her nephew took my key and my sunglasses and that is when she said to contact the police as he has a long rap sheet with the local police department.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes but they said we won't get restitution from the police department but we could press charges to teach him he can't steal. which we did. But that doesn't help with the fact that I am out 479 dollars for my key and 200 dollars for my sunglasses.

·
Premium Member
11,636 Posts
yes but they said we won't get restitution from the police department but we could press charges to teach him he can't steal. which we did. But that doesn't help with the fact that I am out 479 dollars for my key and 200 dollars for my sunglasses.
Use the police report to press Uber into charging the account holder (their TOS says they accept responsibility for the actions of other riders using their account). If Uber won't budge, hit small claims court against the pax (Jane Doe, to be named in discovery) and then subpoena Uber for the AH's info and amend your complaint and have the account holder served.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bought the vehicle used but not only that it has my mailbox key and house key. The house key is no big deal but the apartment complex wants to charge me money for my mailbox key.

·
Banned
19 Posts
1000$ deductible

$479 for a key is more than fraud but this is america lol every company is basically out to rob you just like this junkie

tire valve stems used to be less than $5 now they're "illegal" to install & cost $80 each (fun fact they can be used to track you now as they send out a unique unencrypted indentifier) not that its likely but it is possible softwares on git hub for years now

driving nights without least 2.0 surge is against the #uberbible

you live & you learn

1 accident, situation like this, ticket & now youve driven days, weeks, or months for free

uber does not care about you or your situation whatsoever

stick to hotel addresses only 30+ miles away from airports early mornings or right after check outs, xl, select, black tiers or stop driving its designed for you to fail

·
Premium Member
11,636 Posts
1000$ deductible

$479 for a key is more than fraud but this is america lol every company is basically out to rob you just like this junkie

tire valve stems used to be less than $5 now they're "illegal" to install & cost $80 each (fun fact they can be used to track you now as they send out a unique unencrypted indentifier) not that its likely but it is possible softwares on git hub for years now

driving nights without least 2.0 surge is against the #uberbible

you live & you learn

1 accident, situation like this, ticket & now youve driven days, weeks, or months for free

uber does not care about you or your situation whatsoever

stick to hotel addresses only 30+ miles away from airports early mornings or right after check outs, xl, select, black tiers or stop driving its designed for you to fail
There's no deductible when you just sue the passenger.

·
Registered
947 Posts
That's awful. If someone is obviously a 3rd party rider (ex.: It says John and it's clearly a young woman) feel free to refuse to complete pickup until you get the written consent (can be in text message form) of the account holder including their acknowledgement that they know they will be held responsible legally and fiscally for the riders actions.

It's awful that you can't trust people to be decent but you just can't. Also please tell me you have a dashcam so you have proof of what that dirtbag did. Don't take a single other ride without a dashcam.

·
Registered
199 Posts
This past weekend was college graduation weekend so it was extremely busy my husband and I share a vehicle so either he is out driving or myself. This past Sunday early Monday morning my husband was out driving at 1:30am when he had a rider that was a young male around his late twenties that needed a ride from the "bad part of town" to another part of town. The ride was paid for by his Aunt. On the way to the destination the rider decided to tell my husband that he needed to stop by the gas station and began giving directions. When they arrived at the gas station the rider told my husband that he needed to run into the gas station for him and my husband told him that he was unable to do that. When the rider was told that he became agitated and began messing around with item in the vehicle for instance the radio, temperature controls, my sunglasses and so on. The rider then insisted on my husband letting him out which he did and after the rider took off my vehicle began to beep meaning the key was no longer in the vehicle (we have a push start vehicle with a smart key). My husband became extremely upset and scared because like stated before he was in a high crime area and wasn't sure how far the vehicle would travel without the key. My husband called me at home freaking out in which I grabbed my son and his car and we started towards where my husband last was and i told him to call the number associated with the ride to let her know that her nephew stole my keys and my sunglasses. He did so and found out the nephew is homeless and hooked on drugs. We called the cops and did a police report and we called Uber to report our keys stolen along with my sunglasses. Later on Monday morning I went and got a quote for my key which came to 479 dollars and submitted it to Uber. Since this correspondence Uber has yet to reimburse me for my sunglasses or my key and they keep saying they are checking on the situation. It has now been 36 hours. I am without a key for my vehicle which also included my house key and mailbox key. My vehicle can't be moved without a key and yet they aren't doing anything. This should have been taken care of within 24 hours the Aunt was aware of the situation and stated nephew likes to take keys. Please pass along as this was an unsafe situation and could have been a lot worse plus has let us stranded.
I'm sorry this happened but I have to ask. I know you say it is a push button start so why was the key fob not in his pocket where no one can get it?

I'm not trying to be a d1ck about it but it was apparently in a spot where anyone could grab it.

Also if the PAX started going through my shit like that it would've been grounds for immediate ejection.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Actually they do stand behind Drivers but with a bottle of Lube.

·
Premium Member
4,240 Posts
okay, that stinks...
but where does the part come in about Uber not standing behind their drivers?

the issue is between you and the passenger. Uber didn't steal from you.

im sure you'll get some reimbursement. I hope you take them to court. and I hope you WIN BIG.

but Uber didn't "screw you over".

a couple other things to consider...

DON'T LET PASSENGERS SIT IN THE FRONT. or at least not the ones that look dangerous.

secondly, WHY WHY WHY would you put the key fob within reach??!

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
I'm sorry this happened but I have to ask. I know you say it is a push button start so why was the key fob not in his pocket where no one can get it?

I'm not trying to be a d1ck about it but it was apparently in a spot where anyone could grab it.

Also if the PAX started going through my shit like that it would've been grounds for immediate ejection.
I totally agree. Uber does really crappy things to its drivers, but this was more on your husband. It sucks he was victimized like that, but if the two of you are to continue doing this gig, you really should be more proactive as to the safety of your person and your property. I always say cater to the lowest common denominator of pax, and it is as true as ever. For 99 great pax, there is one cad who will swipe cables or any and all freebies, track mud into your car, open your door into traffic or a parking meter if you stop next to one, etc. Accidents and crime will happen but can be minimized by prior planning and behavior.

The biggest piece of advice I'd give your husband is to take control of his space. These riders may be paying but they are not the ones in control. From your very brief description, he sounds too accommodating and even a tad craven. What does he do when riders try to pile into your shared vehicle or light up a cigarette or bring in alcohol? Have either of you ever ejected a rider?

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
First of all, why the hell would the rider want your husband to go inside for him ? As soon as something like that comes up, you or your husband immediately cancel the ride and politely eject the rider, saying your ending the ride cause you got somewhere to go. Grab your phone and start recording a video just in case something happens. They can request another ride. Obviously he wanted your husband to go inside so he can steal from your car.

How is it that the pax got a hold of the key and your glasses to begin with? Assume all pax are thieves and keep anything of value over $1.00 out of sight.

All you gotta do is contact a local locksmith and ask them how much to reprogram a new key. It sounds like you are either using the dealer or a mechanic. Locksmiths do jobs like these for a fraction of the cost.

Be sure to give that pax a 1 star so you don't get them again.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Maybe he had to pee.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts