Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Still no clear guidelines on how many %- of trips you can cancel
Well anything over 5% is questionable going by Ubers policy.

I had a pax the other day who said he was in Uber recently when the driver fell asleep at the wheel. That, my friends, is a direct consequence of someone having to make a living on $10/hr.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Uber needs to put online hour limits. 12 hours online in 24 hours should be the max a driver can work.

If I was a pax and my driver fell sleep at the wheel, I would be taking a picture, reporting it to Uber and all the papers!

Uber is putting paxs and drivers lifes at risk!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Uber isn't putting anyones life at risk. Its common sense, if you're getting tired. log off and go home. Only a moron would drive to the point of falling asleep. Simple rule of life - work smarter, not harder

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Uber isn't putting anyones life at risk. Its common sense, if you're getting tired. log off and go home. Only a moron would drive to the point of falling asleep. Simple rule of life - work smarter, not harder
Bullsh!t.... Uber lowers the rates so drivers have to work longer hours. Uber also has no limits on how many hours a driver can do. A large chunk of the blame lays directly with them.

We have many examples via screenshots of drivers doing 22 hrs in a single day here. This is directly resulting from Uber allowing them to do it.

Yes common sense would say if you're tired go home, but the world is full of idiots that have none.

So Uber puts paxs life as risks not having a fatigue management plan and allowing drivers to drive over 12hrs in 24hrs. Its as simple as that.

A truck/bus/taxi driver can't do these hours by law. So why a Uber driver?

For example a taxi driver fatigue management guide I found online says

• Drivers should not exceed 14 hours of operation (including breaks) in any shift.
• Drivers should have a 10-hour continuous break in every 24 hours.
• Work time for drivers should not exceed 168 hours, spread over 12 days, in any 14-day period.
• If working a 28-day cycle the cycle should contain a minimum of four 24-hour breaks. It is preferable that the breaks are evenly spaced throughout the 28 days.
• If a driver works for 24 days without a break then he or she must take 4 days off.

Another says a 12 hr break is required every 24 hrs to be 'low risk. So Uber bringing in a maximum of 12 hrs online in the last 24 hrs would do wonders to meet this requirements. No one wants a uber driver that is tired or wired on drugs to stay awake. No one wants a uber driver to have a crash either and harm a pax or themselves.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Sadly some of these moron Uber drivers are using their forced rest time from taxis to do Uber driving. Notwithstanding Uber can discourage excessive hours while using their platform because some people need protection from themselves.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Yeah Uber limiting 12 in 24 hrs of driving, won't stop morons from driving tired altogether. You'll still get the ones who worked 8 hours and then go out and do 12 hours of Uber, or the taxi drivers who slip from the cab to the Uber in the rest breaks.

BUT it will help at reducing the guys who work Uber for 22 hrs straight over the weekend etc. Something is better than nothing!

Also some articles say that Mike Oze fell directly into this area. He was reported to fall asleep at the wheel a few times and then complains of being deactivated. I see no issue really. If you can manage your fatigue, then maybe you shouldn't be driving!

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
uber reduce rates to increase demand so drivers can make more money.

as a driver can only do one job at a time (unless its uberpool) drivers may have to work longer to maintain their earnings, therefore uber may be seen to extending a drivers time on the road and as a reesult may be putting lives at risk

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
as a driver can only do one job at a time (unless its uberpool)
Uberpool is still only one job at a time. The driver gets paid the same rate, regardless if there is 1 pax/job or 2 pax/job in the car! so don't think uberpool will make you more money. In fact drivers are PAID LESS for Uberpool time compared to UberX

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Bullsh!t.... Uber lowers the rates so drivers have to work longer hours. Uber also has no limits on how many hours a driver can do. A large chunk of the blame lays directly with them.

We have many examples via screenshots of drivers doing 22 hrs in a single day here. This is directly resulting from Uber allowing them to do it.

Yes common sense would say if you're tired go home, but the world is full of idiots that have none.

So Uber puts paxs life as risks not having a fatigue management plan and allowing drivers to drive over 12hrs in 24hrs. Its as simple as that.

• Drivers should not exceed 14 hours of operation (including breaks) in any shift.
• Work time for drivers should not exceed 168 hours, spread over 12 days, in any 14-day period.
• If working a 28-day cycle the cycle should contain a minimum of four 24-hour breaks. It is preferable that the breaks are evenly spaced throughout the 28 days.
• If a driver works for 24 days without a break then he or she must take 4 days off.

Another says a 12 hr break is required every 24 hrs to be 'low risk. So Uber bringing in a maximum of 12 hrs online in the last 24 hrs would do wonders to meet this requirements. No one wants a uber driver that is tired or wired on drugs to stay awake. No one wants a uber driver to have a crash either and harm a pax or themselves.
that's a ripper!!
I was reasonably aware of the truck driver rules, explained to me by truck driver passengers while driving taxi
I was always curious about taxi driving and how come no limits to my knowledge
do these guidelines apply for Victoria and only since 'accreditation'?

·
Registered
147 Posts

Sadly you are not right, taxi drivers are logged off the MT data system in Melbourne but can log on again straight away. Many cab drivers drive well in excess of 14 hours per shift, most green top drivers complete the 16 hour quota on a Saturday night. They have to pay all of the appropriate rego, insurance and lease payments on the plates and like us the majority of cash is made on Friday and Saturday...

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
I was always curious about taxi driving and how come no limits to my knowledge
do these guidelines apply for Victoria and only since 'accreditation'?
Each state has their own fatigue management guidelines/rules etc. They are all basically the same though, give or take a hour here or there.

Sadly you are not right, taxi drivers are logged off the MT data system in Melbourne but can log on again straight away. Many cab drivers drive well in excess of 14 hours per shift, most green top drivers complete the 16 hour quota on a Saturday night. They have to pay all of the appropriate rego, insurance and lease payments on the plates and like us the majority of cash is made on Friday and Saturday...
Are you a taxi driver?

As I said it was guidelines, each state has different ones. I couldn't find the VIC ones as shock, the URL was not working, getting document not found error.

Who cares about what a taxi driver has to pay, they all have to pay it, its not a valid reason for them to be driving long hours and putting paxs at risks, the same as uber drivers doing long hours. There is no reason any driver should be doing more than 12 hours in a 24 hour period.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts