Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Uber has an incentive program for new drivers in Colorado that promises $20/hour minimum in gross fare revenue for driving at least 16 of 45 "peak hours" during each week, of a new driver's first four weeks; if the driver meets several criteria for each of the "qualifying" hours they choose to driver.

Only problem is, the data gathering on a driver meeting these criteria is very non-transparent (no way of seeing what the data show from Uber's point of view for each relevant hour), and then Uber does not seem to actually pay the incentive when it is earned by a driver.

Here is the incentive program offering: http://uberxcolorado.com/apply/1stMonth5280_qual.html
I received a text message telling me when the first of my four qualifying weeks would begin.

Is anyone else having trouble with getting their promised incentive payment? Did anyone actually see this incentive raise their fare revenue?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I thought it was pretty straight forward. I just ended my first month. Mine was min 20 hours a week tho. An hour doesn't count if you didn't have a trip. Also you've gotta have 90% acceptance and be online for at least 50mins of the hour. I counted my hours and they always matched up for me.

Oh yeah, its gotta be their specified hours too.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Also, I had like ~215 trips and a 4.89 rating which wasn't enough for either $500 bonus. The double secret week 3 bonus was tell us your best trip story. But, you know... This isn't high school so I didn't bother with that lame bs.

·
Banned
1,531 Posts
I was offered this incentive at the end of June, but I chose not to work it because I prefer to avoid early morning and late afternoon Denver rush hours, plus I can usually average at least $20/hour in gross fares during my preferred driving hours. That being said, I have never had a problem with any previous Uber pay guarantees, and in fact they are much easier to work than similar incentives offered by Lyft.

Lyft tracks your hours online from the top of each hour, and you have to be in drive mode for 50 minutes during each hour which truly limits you to a 10 minute break in a given hour. It's also a pain to maintain a 90% acceptance rate because unlike Uber, Lyft treats a cancellation the same as a missed request, plus Lyft has no problem sending requests from riders who are 20 or more minutes away.

Uber, on the other hand, tracks hours online using a cumulative method, so it's okay to be offline for more than 10 minutes at a time. To satisfy Uber's eligibility requirements, I would have had to complete 20 rides and be online a total of 1,000 minutes (20 rides x 1 ride/hour x 50min/hour = 1,000 minutes) during the 40 qualifying hours listed below, or a total of 16.6 hours. So let's say I was online for a total of 17 hours during the 40 qualifying hours during which time I completed 22 rides totaling $272 in gross fares. That equates to $16/hour in gross fares, so uber would need to top me off an extra $68 in gross fares ($4/hour x 17 hours = $68) and add $54.40 ($68 x 80%) to my weekly pay.
Font Smile Rectangle Handwriting Circle
Facial expression Mammal Organism Font Rectangle

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Uber appears to me to be mis-representing the incentive. When a new driver reads the details at the "5280" Colorado promo link (above, in the original post), they would think the incentive is to get a minimum of $20/hour fare revenue for each of the "qualifying hours" during the week, all of which are peak times (morning rush, pm rush, weekend evenings, etc.).

In other words, it appears Uber is offering a revenue floor of $20/hour, for each and every one of those qualifying peak hours, during a new driver's initial 4 weeks. But that's not what they are paying.

In practice, they offset the low hours (say you earn only $5 or $11 during the 6am hour) with the few good hours where your revenue was over $20/h to offset the lower earnings. In other words, this offer from Uber isn't much to encourage you to drive any more hours than you would normally choose to drive. It is your higher earnings during the busier hours offsetting your lower earnings during the lean hours; it is not the case that Uber is guaranteeing your a per-hour revenue floor for each hour, as their marketing literature misleadingly implies. They only drop you a few bucks if your total average for the entire week's worth of "qualifying hours" has a revenue below $20/hour.

So, caveat emptor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts