Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a lot of discussions in this forum regarding insurance. This is a key concern. Some say all you need is your normal personal insurance. Others say that you have to have Commercial insurance. Uber says this:

http://newsroom.uber.com/2014/02/insurance-for-uberx-with-ridesharing/

Can anyone clarify? It looks to me from this page that Uber takes care of the needed commercial insurance while you are on the clock. Does this very by state perhaps? Otherwise I don't understand that the issue is.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
First,

Yes Uber has a policy while your online in different aspects. But your personal insurance company (maybe the finance company as well) do not allow you to operate your vehicle in a commercial manner. So that means if you wreck, they have a leg to stand on in denying your claim dropping you and tgrowing you into a high risk pool, similar to DUI offenders.

Second

Ubers insurance carries a $1000 deductible. It also has limited coverage. If the accident is someone elses fault you will be covered. (If hit by another vehicle you would put the claim through thier insurance). If the accident is your fault, then the person you hit and your passenger is covered. But you and your vehicle are not. Person you hit can claim through Uber so can your passenger. But you are on the hook for your car damage and medical bills, since you cant claim through your personal insurance.

Good luck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what do people typically do in regard to insurance? Btw, I live in a 'no fault' state (CT) so I don't believe fault matters.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So what do people typically do in regard to insurance? Btw, I live in a 'no fault' state (CT) so I don't believe fault matters.
I had to quit because State Farm of Florida doesn't cover you if an accident occurs while "carrying persons for a charge" in your personal vehicle. It's a violation of contract and could result in cancellation of insurance. The risk is too high and certainly not worth loosing your license and registration as well.

·
Registered
94 Posts
First,

Yes Uber has a policy while your online in different aspects. But your personal insurance company (maybe the finance company as well) do not allow you to operate your vehicle in a commercial manner. So that means if you wreck, they have a leg to stand on in denying your claim dropping you and tgrowing you into a high risk pool, similar to DUI offenders.

Second

Ubers insurance carries a $1000 deductible. It also has limited coverage. If the accident is someone elses fault you will be covered. (If hit by another vehicle you would put the claim through thier insurance). If the accident is your fault, then the person you hit and your passenger is covered. But you and your vehicle are not. Person you hit can claim through Uber so can your passenger. But you are on the hook for your car damage and medical bills, since you cant claim through your personal insurance.

Good luck.
Excellent diagnosis of Uber's insurance methods!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Marie Cox said:
It looks to me from this page that Uber takes care of the needed commercial insurance while you are on the clock.
Get the policy and read it. This is what is/is not covered by Uber.

Commercial
Liability -- Uber - James River policy covers your passengers and the "other driver(s) medical and property damage. It is in effect during the time you are on your way to pickup passengers until you drop them off.
Collision/Comprehensive/Medical (Driver) NONE That is for you to purchase on your own.

Ride-share insurance is a personal policy that will cover you when you are on the app waiting for a ping. When you get the ping, Uber's insurance kicks as I mentioned above.

In many states if one's personal insurance is not aware that you are driving people for a charge, one risks cancellation of their insurance. I know some cabbies are taking pics of Uber drivers' license plates and turning them into an official that can check on whether or not the driver is carrying proper insurance.

·
Super Moderator
15,261 Posts
First,

Second

Good luck.
This means that if your car is financed, the finance company will go after driver. That is why finance companies state in their contracts that cars are for personal use only, no commercial use.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I live in Ontario, Canada and we have "no fault" insurance. We had a recent case, described in the news as follows:
Tawfiqul Alam was driving a passenger in early June when he got into an accident on Queen St. A police report says that another vehicle drove through a red light on Woodbine Ave, crashing into Alam's vehicle. Both he and the passenger were taken to hospital. Alam's car is a write-off.

Source: http://www.newstalk1010.com/news/20...uberx-driver-in-insurance-trouble-after-crash
The way our no fault insurance typically works is that each driver's insurance pays for the driver's accident costs regardless of fault. Fault affects subsequent insurance premiums. But since Tawfiqul Alam was driving for Uber his insurance refused to pay the claim. Tawfiqul Alam's vehicle was a write-off and he suffered injuries during the accident (the driver's side of the vehicle was caved in). Uber refused to pay either and so the driver started a lawsuit against Uber. So the "no fault" insurance combined with UberX driving made things worse in this case. Instead of being compensated for an accident that was not his fault Tawfiqul Alam was in a bad position. Some background for US readers: although our government health plan will pay for hospital treatment and doctors' fees it typically does not cover the physiotherapy required for someone with soft tissue injuries to return to health. Also our Uber "insurance" is not primary as it is in some or all US states, but is contingent.

UberPeople forum member Actionjax claims (via an inside source of his) that this case was settled by Uber but there is no independent confirmation of this. Source: https://uberpeople.net/threads/back-in-the-news-again-uber-insurance.32590/page-16#post-458674

There is a thread devoted to this particular accident and the issue of insurance: Back in the news again- Uber Insurance

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Collision/Comp are matched by Uber policy to your personal policy in Stage 3. By definition, those insurance products don't have faults. Where did you get that information from?

This all assumes you have personal coverage that will deny, but not cancel you when an accident is reported App On (Farmers and State Farm, Currently)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Get the policy and read it. This is what is/is not covered by Uber.

Commercial
Liability -- Uber - James River policy covers your passengers and the "other driver(s) medical and property damage. It is in effect during the time you are on your way to pickup passengers until you drop them off.
Collision/Comprehensive/Medical (Driver) NONE That is for you to purchase on your own.

Ride-share insurance is a personal policy that will cover you when you are on the app waiting for a ping. When you get the ping, Uber's insurance kicks as I mentioned above.

In many states if one's personal insurance is not aware that you are driving people for a charge, one risks cancellation of their insurance. I know some cabbies are taking pics of Uber drivers' license plates and turning them into an official that can check on whether or not the driver is carrying proper insurance.
I take a pic of every Uber/Lyft car I see. Then we send it to the State of Oregon.

We've had three cabs wrecked by Uber "partners" driving without proper insurance. Three cabs needed replacing on our dime.

If any one of you guys/gals got hit by an uninsured car, you'd be ticked too!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I take a pic of every Uber/Lyft car I see. Then we send it to the State of Oregon.
We've had three cabs wrecked by Uber "partners" driving without proper insurance. Three cabs needed replacing on our dime.
If any one of you guys/gals got hit by an uninsured car, you'd be ticked too!
Why didn't Uber cover the three accidents?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
TomP said:
Why didn't Uber cover the three accidents?
TomP . . . I would guess the drivers were not carrying a copy of the Uber insurance certificate and presented their personal insurance policies. Then again, I do not think phillipzx3 would admit the taxi drivers were at fault, not the Uber drivers. It would deflate his case to do so. ;)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
TomP . . . I would guess the drivers were not carrying a copy of the Uber insurance certificate and presented their personal insurance policies. Then again, I do not think phillipzx3 would admit the taxi drivers were at fault, not the Uber drivers. It would deflate his case to do so. ;)
We have cameras that recorded the deed. Sorta hard to blame us when the Uber drivers get the ticket. One left the scene to pick up his passenger. To give credit where due....he came back, and was awarded a second ticket. 1st for running a stop sign, 2nd was for leaving the scene of an accident.

We've had plenty of wrecks that were our fault. But guess what...WE HAVE INSURANCE that covers us 24/7, 365 days a year.

You? ;-)

·
Registered
857 Posts
No passengers in the cars. Uber only covers when you are in period 2 and 3.

We just had a 4th car hit yesterday
so you had a collision with someone in their personal car and they tried to get uber to pay the bill?

sounds like a driver problem to me ;)

and 4 collisions with uber cars? doesn't anyone know how to drive where you are? seems like the statistics don't pan out to support your claims. You'd have to have a TON of accidents with non uber/lyft cars too.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts