Uber Drivers Forum banner

Google Maps vs. Waze?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Uber Brethren: I received an email this evening from Uber with the aforementioned title. The communication states that SOON I'll have the option to choose Google Maps or Waze for my passenger navigation. It continues with directions on how to select and navigate between Apps. Speaking for myself -

I prefer WAZE over Google Maps. With realtime traffic, social media, route selection, and re-route are great to use. Waze has saved me countless time getting either my passenger(s) to their destination or getting me out of dodge...

Just had wanted to share the (Terrific) news. Thank you Uber for the ongoing improvements.

<Snip>

"You'll soon have the option to choose Google Maps or Waze for navigating Uber trips -

CHOOSE YOUR NAVIGATION

When you tap GO ONLINE, you'll be asked to choose your preferred navigation provider based on the apps installed on your iPhone.

You can change your navigation preference at any time within the SETTINGS screen.

SWITCHING APPS

Please note that if you choose Google Maps or Waze as your preferred navigation app, tapping the NAVIGATE button during a trip will cause you to switch out of the Uber Partner app. The Uber Partner app will continue to run in the background when you're using navigation.

To return to the Uber Partner app to begin or end the trip, simply tap the banner at the top of the screen to re-open the Uber Partner app.

We are constantly working to provide you with the best tools available when you drive with Uber. This update is a result of the feedback we've heard from partners like you. We hope it makes your experience driving with Uber easier.

Happy driving,

Uber Operations Team

·
Premium Member
5,323 Posts
does anybody still squint at a tiny Uber iPhone 4 here?

that was so 4 years ago.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have android as well, and I've always used Waze. Sometimes it doesn't put you on the best route. I used it when following two other uber drivers and it brought me down some side road to the destination. For all of you Waze users, do you have it set to fastest route or shortest?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have android as well, and I've always used Waze. Sometimes it doesn't put you on the best route. I used it when following two other uber drivers and it brought me down some side road to the destination. For all of you Waze users, do you have it set to fastest route or shortest?
I (Personally) have typically set it for the "Fastest" route knowing that there may be additional mileage. Especially when driving into NYC and the airports. I've been amazed at some of the routing suggestions that go against logic and/or common sense.

Reactions: CROWBOY

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have always had the option. (Android)
Chalk one up for Android! I hated having to use Google Maps (As part of the Uber App.) and run Waze simultaneously because it ate up precious data.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I received same message about using Waze or Google and would love to use Waze, but when I go online I get no options nor see any settings to change options, can anyone help me with this? Thanks

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Send off an email to Uber Partners to request a new link for the Drivers App. I did after I replaced my phone. When downloading all of my backups from iCloud, the Uber App didnt complete thus needing a new link

·
Registered
10 Posts
I deleted old app and installed new app and still no option under settings to use Waze as navigation. I sent off another message to Uber but have not heard back yet.
Only option I have under settings in accessibility.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I deleted old app and installed new app and still no option under settings to use Waze as navigation. I sent off another message to Uber but have not heard back yet.
Only option I have under settings in accessibility.
Have you tried going Online? I went online yesterday and it automatically popped up which navigation system to use as default? I then went offline and now I see it as a setting in addition to the Accessibility option. What version are you on with Uber? You may need to update.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here is the latest reply I received from UBER today, I guess it was not just me!
"Thanks for writing back in. Really appreciate you writing in about this. As a partner, we want you to have the best resources available to you, and so your feedback is really important to us as we work to make improvements for you. When launching additional choices in navigation, we noticed that there were some issues that still needed to be addressed. We have since rolled-back this feature until fixed. Once fixed, we will be able to resume supporting other navigation providers. We are constantly working to provide you with the best tools available when you drive with Uber. This recent feature is a result of the feedback we've heard from partners like you. Thank you for your patience as we work towards to making the feature even better. Please let me know if you have any questions or additional comments."

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Maybe each region is different then. I had 6 trips last night all of which pulled up Waze as my navigation to get to the passenger and then once again once the trip was started Waze picked up and guided us to their destination. It is so much more fluid and it helped me as I approached the Holland Tunnel last night to look ahead and see which turns to make in order to get into the correct lanes when in New York. Hopefully it works soon for you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is there a native route application that the partner app uses by default? (That doesn't have to swap back and forth between applications.) I use google maps but it can be slow and the swapping process seems to gum up the GPS updating itself sometimes. (Ok some of that can be my phone but still...)

I don't know if it was because some of the Uber drivers I have rode with (as a passenger) have used iphones, but some had used an app that looked like it was built into the driver app itself, and it was pretty smooth, which is really what I'm looking for--and reliability of course.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Your navigation app choices are Google Maps and Waze I input the destination into my vehicles built in navigation system, or use Here on my tablet. It take an extra 30 seconds at most. It works better than any other app on the phone, and easier to follow, but doesn't self input.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Am using Motorola's latest and greatest - Droid Turbo 2. When switching from Uber to Waze to navigate to pickup, the GPS and the pickup address drops out of Waze. Other than that, the phone is great, thanks to the gal at Verizon for talking me out of the Samsung 7!

Any ideas on the Waze problem?

·
Rebel Honey Badger
16,984 Posts
Am using Motorola's latest and greatest - Droid Turbo 2. When switching from Uber to Waze to navigate to pickup, the GPS and the pickup address drops out of Waze. Other than that, the phone is great, thanks to the gal at Verizon for talking me out of the Samsung 7!

Any ideas on the Waze problem?
I have the Droid Turbo 2. Waze works fine by itself on my phone but soon as I try go online with Uber and try and use Waze as my navigation the message appears "Seeking GPS! Try going outside." I took it to 2 Verizon corporate stores and they said nothing was wrong with my 2 day old phone but they replaced it anyway. Still same issue. Took it to Greenlight Hub and they couldn't figure it out either. Both guesses was it was a Waze issue. Google maps works fine on my phone but I prefer Waze. I contacted Waze but never heard back. Any ideas?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts