Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First day was exciting. I was pumped up before my first request made $30 on first trip after that I was hooked only drove for 2 hours on a Sat just for the experience. Only working on weekends right now but will be retiring from army soon and plan to make it full time hustle. Shout out to UBER MAN and other YouTube connoisseurs. One love, C.R.E.A.M.

·
Premium Member
8,761 Posts
Jerome Smith beware the evil tentacles of Uber, fun at first but you aren't making what you think you are. Keep track of total miles driven and hours spent and you'll find out soon enough that you are trading car equity for cash, not a great way to make a living. The next 2 or 3 weekends are going to be fantastic because school is coming back but after that it will settle back to the grind. Good luck and keep your eyes open.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Do the math. I drive a Prius which is by far the cheapest car to operate. It cost .47c per mile over 5 years. Problem is it will be wore out in 2 years. So now let's round that off to now being $1.30/mile. Not sure of your market, but here in Houston its 1.15/mile and will most likely go down. Now subtract to 20% The Uber takes. And don't forget the 15.3% self employment tax. As well as your regular taxes. Even with the .53/ mile vehical deduction it does take a math professor to do the figures. This is a great Temporary/Part time gig, but if your wanting full time, I'd be looking for a way to put what you learned in the military to work or deliver pizzas. No way around it. Uber is a money losing proposition.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Hopefully a new form of designation around how we are considered workers will come about that will allow us to be taxed lower or reimbursed on expenses. We need new classifications to allow us to keep more of what we earn. A job should at least pay min wage. I'm not arguing for more pay then what we deserve, but min wage isn't too much to ask

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do the math. I drive a Prius which is by far the cheapest car to operate. It cost .47c per mile over 5 years. Problem is it will be wore out in 2 years. So now let's round that off to now being $1.30/mile. Not sure of your market, but here in Houston its 1.15/mile and will most likely go down. Now subtract to 20% The Uber takes. And don't forget the 15.3% self employment tax. As well as your regular taxes. Even with the .53/ mile vehical deduction it does take a math professor to do the figures. This is a great Temporary/Part time gig, but if your wanting full time, I'd be looking for a way to put what you learned in the military to work or deliver pizzas. No way around it. Uber is a money losing proposition.
New here, I know, but have to say I probably wouldn't even suggest delivering pizzas. I used to deliver pizzas as did my brother, and at least around here the wear and tear on the car wasn't worth what was made delivering for us. My brother delivered down at the Oceanfront and at least during tourist season he would make some decent money(especially with tips), but during off season it's a ghost town. It also packs on the miles, especially when working for a place that didn't mind taking orders from out of the delivery area (what we called snaking the other location's orders). That said, having driven for pizza delivery opened my eyes to the cost of upkeep of a car and wear and tear/equity loss of the mileage, so I at least won't be going into this(driving for Uber) with blinders on.

Of course that's not to say delivering pizzas isn't better elsewhere, just isn't worth it where I am.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Popped my cherry last night. While I still felt I was not ready I turned on my app and prayed for good things. I decided I would start on Capitol Hil (east of downtown Seattle) as this used to be my 'hood'. Unfortunately the Uber navigation system quickly left me wanting as I fumbled about trying to get to a location not 5 blocks away. The second one I got turned about (and lost) before figuring out how (poorly) the navigation was directing me. I sent an email to Uber saying I had gotten lost and to kindly refrain from charging the guest. I took one more passenger before I called a friend (also an Uber driver) and expressed my frustration. He told me to shut down and install WAZE. I did so but decided I was done for the night. Tonight I hope to do better...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts