Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I had a 3 lovely drunk passengers I picked up during a 3.9x surge. Passenger was charged roughly $95 for a 20-25 min ride. The customer contacted uber support, complained and I was screwed out of $20. Now usually I don't rant or complain. Hell I may not have noticed it but in the Orange County California area pax are few and far between. But I wanna know is the the typical procedure? Does uber always adjust a passengers ride amount because they are unhappy with the price and not notify the driver. Sounds pretty damn suspect to me?

·
Registered
178 Posts
How did you get screwed? Did they adjust the route you took? If they did, was it a valid adjustment?

·
Registered
170 Posts
So I had a 3 lovely drunk passengers I picked up during a 3.9x surge. Passenger was charged roughly $95 for a 20-25 min ride. The customer contacted uber support, complained and I was screwed out of $20. Now usually I don't rant or complain. Hell I may not have noticed it but in the Orange County California area pax are few and far between. But I wanna know is the the typical procedure? Does uber always adjust a passengers ride amount because they are unhappy with the price and not notify the driver. Sounds pretty damn suspect to me?
Thanks for being a valued PARTNER

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Did you have an inefficient route? If it's a longer route than I'm not sure what you expect to happen, unless pax directs you otherwise you are supposed to take the shortest route you can (within reason).

Yes, Uber does just adjust without telling you, it sucks but they aren't going to change.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Write back and demand your money back. Keep pushing and cc your local news reporter explaining to them that Uber is stealing money from drivers without notifying them. Keep the pressure up. Never let them get away with theft.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
They don't always just side with pax now. they look at your route and estimated one your supposed to use in maps and saw it was much longer pax got credited the difference.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
If you follow the route the partner app navigation tells you, there should be no cause for a reduction.

·
Registered
850 Posts
If you are taking a longer route because the drunk pax is giving you poor directions report it as soon as the person gets out. It helps support your claim to the mileage.

·
Premium Member
3,620 Posts
I had a trip once where the CSR just adjusted the fare without telling me. This was when the GPS wanted me to go on a toll road but the pax insisted that they didn't want to go on toll. It took one big looparound and I told them I'd end the trip early as compensation, but I ended it only a few hundred metres short off their destination. They requested to adjust fare, claiming that I'd taken an inefficient route. CSR adjusted it without informing me. I then wrote in a complaint saying that I did agree to to end their trip early, so I shouldn't have been penalised for an inefficient route. CSR changes fare back to original... ;)

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Check the picture of the route that you took to make sure it was the route you took. If they changed what route you actually took complain about them changing the facts.

You will have to subpoena them to get the map of the new route the route they're paying you for unless the judge orders them to give up the papers contempt of court if they refuse you subpoena. Criminal contempt of court if they ignore the law.

A similar route is an opinion and not the truth or a fact show the two pictures to the judge and you should get your money back

·
Registered
235 Posts
Also, watch out for the "go through the drive-thru" trick. Pax will ask you to go through a drive-thru on the way, which will take you out of the normal "efficient" route, and then complain to Uber that you took "the long way", thus reducing their fare and your income. Before I stopped driving, I only went to 1 destination, with no side trips. Got tired of being screwed out of income.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Uber reduced a surge fare to regular price one time without telling me, but they restored it to the full surge price when I called them out on it.

The only reason they ever gave me for the reduction was that the customer wrote in and complained. They didn't say what her complaint was- I'm sure she was just mad about the price.

I might have had some sympathy if dumb ***** hadn't 1 starred me.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Uber reduced a surge fare to regular price one time without telling me, but they restored it to the full surge price when I called them out on it.

The only reason they ever gave me for the reduction was that the customer wrote in and complained. They didn't say what her complaint was- I'm sure she was just mad about the price.

I might have had some sympathy if dumb ***** hadn't 1 starred me.
Why have any sympathy? Surge fares can be easily avoided by pax, a simple click of that 'notify me' bar. Pax gets a fare estimate before they get in the vehicle. The idea of a pax getting a refund wouldn't bother me one bit if Uber was eating it entirely but they take part of the refund out of your fare. This comes pretty damn close to fraud by Uber, maybe another class action suit is in order?

·
Registered
228 Posts
contact uber and explain. Usually what happens is uber gives them a $20 discount and automatically takes it from you. There is no reason behind this but they give it back if there was no issue with the route you took.

·
Registered
208 Posts
They sent the following reply. I'm surprised because I have never tried to dupe anyone out of money. Just sick of uber always siding with the pax. Especially someone who is intoxicated.
I am to the point that if someone makes even one complaint or has even the least gripe, I just 1 Star them. Especially when they are drunk. After working hard last week to do my best at service providing I had almost half of my ratings be 4 Stars or less. It is to the point that I might as well just 1 Star everyone unless they have been a repeat pax because I am going to be dinged no matter what I do.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Tell them you are an independent contractor and you did not approve a price adjustment. Since they did not consult you for the refund they are entitled to cover it themself (Uber).

Trust me, anytime Uber makes business decisions for you, remind them they are merely a payment processor as they claim and they will credit it back to you accordingly.

·
Premium Member
6,353 Posts
They sent the following reply. I'm surprised because I have never tried to dupe anyone out of money. Just sick of uber always siding with the pax. Especially someone who is intoxicated.
Did you follow the route provided by Uber App? if so I would contact uber and advise them the issue was on their end and demand your money back. Since they also advise you to follow the map, I have complained about adjustment and had the money credited back to my account. Some pax complain just to get a discount, let uber take the hit pester them until they credit your account.

And if the drunk is going to lie turn it around and tell uber you followed the customers route directions Exactly.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
If the toll way is much shorter, ALWAYS take it or kick them out. Cheap ****ers will do inefficient route & get the toll way route w/o tolls.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts