Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! My car is nov 2010 holden and i have been driving uber on it since feburary this year, now got an email from uber saying i would have to get my car inspected so i was just wondering as SA regulations states car has to be less than 8 years old and uber eventually has to change it to 8 years from 10.
(1) So am i still be able to drive until nov 2018? Or it doesn't work that way only the year is considered not the month ?
(2) has anyone here tried splend or rideshare's rent to own option ? Is rent to own worth it ? Anyone who is currently making weekly payments here ? Please let me know about your experience with this process and if there are any hidden charges ?
Thank you!

·
Premium Member
5,035 Posts
Whilst I would not tell you what you should or should not do as far as whether renting a car goes I would seriously look at the maths before you commit.

Rental plus fuel plus Ubers cut plus GST before you see any money for yourself. By my way of thinking there's 500 dollars approximately that you earn every week is gone on outgoings before you earn a cent. That is working on unlimited kilometres on the vehicle.

After that it's just Ubers cut 25% GST 10% and fuel about 10 to 15%. So out of your first 1000 dollars in turnover you actually see around 300 dollars? These are rough figures.

What are you turning over dollarwise per week at present?

https://www.uber.com/info/uber-marketplace-adelaide/#rent

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As i own this holden at the moment and i have to get a new car anyway next year for the family so i was thinking if it will still be possible to drive uber on this one till nov next year,i'll put it up for hire or lease it to some driver and finance a new car by rent to own so my weekly payments would be considered as car repayments.

At present, i spend $175/wk approx at fuel for 6 days. I usually make between $1000-1300 per week. So minus the fuel and gst and other stuff it works out to be $750-1000. Its just a rough idea.

If i couldn't manage to get a driver for holden i'll simply sell it.So i'll have some cash in hand. And i heard splend offers no lock in contract for rent to own option not for the simple rent one. So i can cancel anytime after 8 weeks. All the rego and insurance and maintenance is included. Have a look.
https://www.splend.com.au/plans-pricing/rent-to-own/

·
Premium Member
5,035 Posts
As i own this holden at the moment and i have to get a new car anyway next year for the family so i was thinking if it will still be possible to drive uber on this one till nov next year,i'll put it up for hire or lease it to some driver and finance a new car by rent to own so my weekly payments would be considered as car repayments.

At present, i spend $175/wk approx at fuel for 6 days. I usually make between $1000-1300 per week. So minus the fuel and gst and other stuff it works out to be $750-1000. Its just a rough idea.
I've never seen a rent to own contract but alarm bells go off when I hear rent to own.

Do your maths carefully and cover all possiblies keeping in mind that it's your outgoings that kill you running any business. You get lean patches, things go wrong and outgoings still still need to be paid.

Depending on your budget maybe head down to the government auctions and possibly look at the Hybrid Camry. I think they go for 18k? with 40k on the clock. Commodores on gas 15kish Maybe do the sums on repayments there as opposed to rent to own or any Uber backed solution.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your time , consideration and advice buddy! I really appreciate it and will definitely get some benefit. Thanks for your help !

·
Premium Member
5,035 Posts
Noticed a Blue Toyota on Anzac Hwy this afternoon. Just the Uber sticker no PV sign no inspection sticker on front window passengers in the back and phone on the window. Safe to suggest he was on the platform. Did think Uber had stopped giving work to cars that hadn't been though the inspection at Riteway or Raa?
Maybe not? Or are these rentals?

·
Premium Member
5,035 Posts
I was a passenger in 4 ubers over the weekend. Not one had an inspection triangle... found it odd as i specifically look for it
Normally I tend not to notice the non compliant cars during the day. Just tend to see the normal guys at the airport and they have done the inspections. It did suprise me. I don't know why?:oops: Have the Splend cars been though inspection?

·
Premium Member
16,713 Posts
As far as I am aware, no I'm damn certain, that all (Über) cars are now under the regulatory guidelines of RAA/Riteway inspection and certification with the blue triangle & the PV square. And I know for a fact that you cannot put a rental on the platform without (it having) the correct certification. I won't even start on the insurance aspect.

I understand that a lot of drivers (of a certain ethnic predisposition for bending rules) appear, or seem to have a car accredited, which may in fact be the family or 'extended family community' car, and then the multiple drivers of the extended family drive around in sh*tboxes as their Über cars, with the 'family' car noted on their profile.

I have heard some unbelievable stories from pax about previous trips in 15 year ol 2 door Hyundai excels and the like. The stories always seem to revolve around the fact that the car is actually a loan car as the 'proper Über car' is in for repairs / maintenance / tyres, et al.

I would be the first to be understanding or forgiving of a driver's desire to be entrepreneurial or enterprising, but this sort of behaviour leaves a little to be desired.

And yet ..........just a week ago, I picked up a muppet at the front of the muppet house in Grote. You will be relieved to know it wasn't Francesca . I have picked up many, many of the muppets now, which is probably due nearly as much to my longevity as a driver as to my awesomeness. Anyhow, I had actually had dealings with this guy previously in one of my rare appearances at the greenlight disco, so we weren't total strangers.

During the trip, I wanted to get as much info as possible and I did actually learn some things. However, a lot of what he told me was just absolute BS. And I am talking about simple operational matters in Adelaide, specifically in regard to the Airport, things I knew about. This guy was quite simply lying to me. I really had to wonder if this is a pre-requisite to being a muppet.

Which leads me to my point, if ever there was one, and that is....I really don't think Über cares. If the driver is caught, or in an accident or kills people, they would just throw their hands in the air and say, "well, this driver is no longer on the Über platform as he independently and maliciously went outside Über's guidelines, and consequently we can't be held responsible."

And, I am yet to be convinced otherwise. One thing this guy did tell me (reluctantly) was that Über are still picking up fines for unaccredited drivers and also that the muppet house muppets - counter 01 to 08 or whatever, are not really happy about their recent cut back hours. So sad.

·
Premium Member
13,501 Posts
They invite anyone to drive for them. It is the single highest complaint from riders and drivers alike that they even hire criminals and let not forget the illegal workers to drive :p As you know when that Uber driver commits a crime against the rider or police pulls over the driver with fake documentation. Uber got their script already. We were never aware of any of this! It is completely out of the usual... Blah blah blah and we get the same scripted messages in our apps when we request help :rolleyes:

Two hands, Two feet and can drive a car you in brother :D When pressed Uber next excuse is that we are a growing company breaking new grounds so it is a learning process for us too... Whatever BS they can come up with :p I've really heard it all and I"m sure all the other drivers have too :rolleyes: Got drivers even on this forum switching cars. They'll put up their brand new car that all nice and shiny through inspection and drive their $300 dollar $h!t heap around.

I press them just as hard and they claim oh last rider vomit in it and it getting cleans so I"m driving this or that car is currently broken down and I need the money to fix it so i'm driving this... Yep a late model 1-7 year old car is broken down but going around in 12-15 year old car that operating fine :D It wrong to bait and switch cars and it a scam. If I see it i'll report it 100%

Reactions: everythingsuber

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Noticed a Blue Toyota on Anzac Hwy this afternoon. Just the Uber sticker no PV sign no inspection sticker on front window passengers in the back and phone on the window. Safe to suggest he was on the platform. Did think Uber had stopped giving work to cars that hadn't been though the inspection at Riteway or Raa?
Maybe not? Or are these rentals?
As you have mentioned blue toyota had an uber sticker it is may be because he has returned the blue triangle and the PV sticker to the ALC to transfer the CTP back to 1 from 7, as he may be goint to buy a new car or something else, but changing the CTP back to normal doesn't remove the car automatically from the platform it should be done manually. And he is still using the car without informing uber about it. Obviously if he gets caught he will be in deep [email protected] I sold my old car and have gone through this process thats how i know this flaw in the system

1 - 11 of 11 Posts