Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey I made a tool to check UberX & UberPool rates for SF and East Bay. Its pretty basic at the moment but it works. Will update with greater functionality in the future (surge calc, trans-bay calcs, south bay, rounding etc). Only tested on chrome/safari desktop, mobile might not work. Enjoy

http://rubyflair.com/ubercalculatorSF.php

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very cool nicolephlsfo - will start crunching some numbers on it. Can you:

Add a surge multiplier (manual) in case the trip has surge
Shouldn't UBERPool had a pax number? or is that irrelevant?
I used Euius' pool description to create the pool calculator ("UberPool pays from first pickup until the car is empty, as a single total fare. To verify, simply write down your odometer and the time when you do the first pickup, and again the as the last passenger's ride ends. Pay will be based on that time and distance, plus a $2 base fare."). With no surge, the pool trip total miles/minutes will be sufficient to determine correct fare.

With UberPool surge, the number of pax and their corresponding surge multipliers matter. Will make a note of that to add at a later time (along with X surge feature).

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I found interesting is that technically, a very short single unmatched EB UberPool trip pays better than a very short single EB UberX trip. EB UberPool minimum fare = $7.00(-$1.55=$5.45), EB UberX minimum fare = $6.55 (-$1.55=$5.00).

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
Hey I made a tool to check UberX & UberPool rates for SF and East Bay. Its pretty basic at the moment but it works. Will update with greater functionality in the future (surge calc, trans-bay calcs, south bay, rounding etc). Only tested on chrome/safari desktop, mobile might not work. Enjoy

http://rubyflair.com/ubercalculator.html
Very cool! Thank you for sharing this with us

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I used Euius' pool description to create the pool calculator ("UberPool pays from first pickup until the car is empty, as a single total fare. To verify, simply write down your odometer and the time when you do the first pickup, and again the as the last passenger's ride ends. Pay will be based on that time and distance, plus a $2 base fare."). With no surge, the pool trip total miles/minutes will be sufficient to determine correct fare.

With UberPool surge, the number of pax and their corresponding surge multipliers matter. Will make a note of that to add at a later time (along with X surge feature).
One correction: The base fare in EB/SB is only $1.75

The minimum fare is the same $7-$1.55 over the entire bay

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One correction: The base fare in EB/SB is only $1.75
I used the following numbers:

East Bay X
var x = milesFormAreaInput * 0.85;
var y = minutesFormAreaInput * 0.15;
var b = 1.50;
var m = 5.00;

East Bay Pool
var x = milesFormAreaInput * 0.75;
var y = minutesFormAreaInput * 0.10;
var b = 1.75;
var m = 5.45;

SF X
var x = milesFormAreaInput * 1.15;
var y = minutesFormAreaInput * 0.22;
var b = 2.00;
var m = 5.00;

SF Pool
var x = milesFormAreaInput * 1.10;
var b = 2.00;
var m = 5.45;

https://uber-regulatory-documents.s3.amazonaws.com/city/san_francisco/p2p/Service Fee Addendum.pdf
http://sanfrancisco.ubermovement.com/uberpool/
http://sanfrancisco.ubermovement.com/uberx/

SF Pool minimum is listed as $4.45 on link#1 and 5.45 on link #2. I used the higher.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I used the following numbers:

East Bay X
var x = milesFormAreaInput * 0.85;
var b = 1.50;
var m = 5.00;

East Bay Pool
var x = milesFormAreaInput * 0.75;
var y = minutesFormAreaInput * 0.10;
var b = 1.75;
var m = 5.45;

SF X
var x = milesFormAreaInput * 1.15;
var y = minutesFormAreaInput * 0.22;
var b = 2.00;
var m = 5.00;

SF Pool
var x = milesFormAreaInput * 1.10;
var b = 2.00;
var m = 5.45;

https://uber-regulatory-documents.s3.amazonaws.com/city/san_francisco/p2p/Service Fee Addendum.pdf
http://sanfrancisco.ubermovement.com/uberpool/
http://sanfrancisco.ubermovement.com/uberx/

SF Pool minimum is listed as $4.45 on link#1 and 5.45 on link #2. I used the higher.
Good Lord, I never imagined that a post on UP would make me feel this dumb! Nice Job on the Calc!

·
Banned
4,825 Posts
I ran my last 5 SF X trips using the minutes and miles that the trip reports claimed. The first, which was a few pennies over the minimum anyways, gave me 1 cent higher than the app claimed 5.03 vs 5.02. The other 4 trips, the Uber trip reports had fares about 15 cents higher than what the calculator said. Usually 15, but a 17 cent one, too Your calculator isn't wrong. I checked on my Android's calculator. Identical number to your calculator. The trips are being regularly charged about 15 cents more than what the rate should be.
What am I doing with my life right now?
Oh god, thank goodness I nerded out with this calculator. I decided to see if Pool trips did the same thing as above. The first pool trip I checked was one where I used "stop receiving requests" after I dropped off second to last rider. The ending address is the second to last rider's ending address, but the map shows the actual ending. I calculated using the miles and minutes in the trip report and it came out to $2 higher than what I was paid for. I saw this happen another time too. The app wouldn't let me report it then, and I let it go. It did the same just now when I tried to report. It says "something went wrong, try again later" when I hit send on the trip fare problem report. I forgot about this since then, since it isn't a frequent thing. Thanks to tonight, I remember. Careful with your pool trips where you use the "stop taking requests" feature.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Strange Fruit i noticed the same phenomenon with my own trip totals. It may be due to rounding (Uber might round up at each individual mathematical step, leading to a slightly larger number). My other theory is Uber paying out a time-estimate instead of actual time, which was mentioned in a different thread. Hmmmm

·
Banned
4,825 Posts
I take that back, what I wrote in red in the previous message. On the calculator, I left the UberX box checked when I selected UberPool, & it figured for UberX. Unchecked UberX and it's good. (X fare netted $1.20 more for a 20 minute ride.):( I already did the math on this when it happened and forgot when I wrote the previous scare message.
So they over charge the pool fares a little bit too. That one I checked was 7 cents higher than what is calculated by the calculator. Another one was 32 cents higher fare than it should be, about 15 cents per rider since there were 2 riders. What is that about? Are they just skimming a few cents extra from every rider?
The next two, the fares were several dollars higher than they should have been. 6.8 miles, 36 minutes is what the report says. The fares from each trip add up to 23.73. That mile/minute calculates at $14.88. I don't know the actual miles and minutes of that trip, but if what it says is accurate, I got well over paid. They are not surges. I looked back at other pool trips. It breaks down each riders fare and subtracted uber fee, and if one of them is surging, it shows the surge amount, just as in UberX trips. The trips in question do not have a surge. Other trips are accurate, except for their about 15 cent add ons. I'm doing the odometer and clock tomorrow.

·
Banned
4,825 Posts
3.3miles and 26 minutes should be $9.53.
I got $14.62 fare. My payout was higher than what thefare should have been. Both these exceptional over charges were Saturday that just passed.

Strange Fruit i noticed the same phenomenon with my own trip totals. It may be due to rounding (Uber might round up at each individual mathematical step, leading to a slightly larger number). My other theory is Uber paying out a time-estimate instead of actual time, which was mentioned in a different thread. Hmmmm
If they are paying out a time estimate, within 15 cents of correct is pretty good, because they're getting within a minute.

Reactions: Frœsty

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I ran my last 5 SF X trips using the minutes and miles that the trip reports claimed. The first, which was a few pennies over the minimum anyways, gave me 1 cent higher than the app claimed 5.03 vs 5.02. The other 4 trips, the Uber trip reports had fares about 15 cents higher than what the calculator said. Usually 15, but a 17 cent one, too Your calculator isn't wrong. I checked on my Android's calculator. Identical number to your calculator. The trips are being regularly charged about 15 cents more than what the rate should be.
What am I doing with my life right now?
Oh god, thank goodness I nerded out with this calculator. I decided to see if Pool trips did the same thing as above. The first pool trip I checked was one where I used "stop receiving requests" after I dropped off second to last rider. The ending address is the second to last rider's ending address, but the map shows the actual ending. I calculated using the miles and minutes in the trip report and it came out to $2 higher than what I was paid for. I saw this happen another time too. The app wouldn't let me report it then, and I let it go. It did the same just now when I tried to report. It says "something went wrong, try again later" when I hit send on the trip fare problem report. I forgot about this since then, since it isn't a frequent thing. Thanks to tonight, I remember. Careful with your pool trips where you use the "stop taking requests" feature.
When do you suggest we use stop request feature?

·
Banned
4,825 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts