Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a few occasions I've taken five passengers 2 adults 3 kids under the age of 7 maybe even 5. Illinois law requires young children to wear seatbelt younger children to be in a child safety seat. They were going from a grocery store to a restaurant few blocks away.

The most recent incident took place just a few nights ago when I took a woman and child home from the babysitter without a child safety seat she held the child on her lap which is against the law.

As a driver I'm considering keeping a child safety seat in my trunk for these occasions. In a serious accident where seatbelts are useless in protecting passengers maybe the child safety seat will save a life.

Reactions: MarkR

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
As an independent driver it is up to you as Uber can't see what every pax looks like they rely on drivers to make the right decision. I have on a few occasions turned down rides because they have small children and no child seats, turn them down if there are more riders than seatbelts or any thing else I deem a safety issue.

·
Registered
311 Posts
On a few occasions I've taken five passengers 2 adults 3 kids under the age of 7 maybe even 5. Illinois law requires young children to wear seatbelt younger children to be in a child safety seat. They were going from a grocery store to a restaurant few blocks away.

The most recent incident took place just a few nights ago when I took a woman and child home from the babysitter without a child safety seat she held the child on her lap which is against the law.

As a driver I'm considering keeping a child safety seat in my trunk for these occasions. In a serious accident where seatbelts are useless in protecting passengers maybe the child safety seat will save a life.
dont tie up trunk space with a child seat. it's not your responsibility. just cancel the call.

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
If you carry young children in your Uber vehicle without a car seat then YOU are breaking the law. If you get in an accident while you are transporting young children without a car seat then YOU will get a ticket a fine and possible jail time. Uber will not get the ticket, the fine or the jail time.

Use common sense and do not transport young children without a car seat.

This is a big deal.

I drive in Orlando and a lot of families come here and they don't bring their child seats. I tell every one of them that I can not take them without the child seats. If they give me any trouble I ask them if they drive their kids without child car seats.

There is no easy solution to this issue. If you keep car seats in your trunk then you have to install them. That takes time. If you install them wrong and something bad happens then you can be fined or sued.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
As everyone had said, it's not Uber breaking any law, it's YOU. Though I believe, in Florida anyway, it's not the driver's responsibility but the "supervising adult," i.e. the parent, that is required to have a car seat for each child.

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
As everyone had said, it's not Uber breaking any law, it's YOU. Though I believe, in Florida anyway, it's not the driver's responsibility but the "responsible adult," i.e. the parent, that is required to have a car seat for each child.
It's the driver's responsibility to make sure that young children are safely fastened into a child safety seat. The driver will get the ticket and the jail time if something happens.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
It's the driver's responsibility to make sure that young children are safely fastened into a child safety seat. The driver will get the ticket and the jail time if something happens.
No. It depends on where you are.

In Florida:

"It is the responsibility of the supervising adult to ensure that any child under 7 years old is seated in a federally-approved child car seat. Failure to do so could result in a $60 fine and 3 points against your driver's license."

Other states may be different.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts

Actually, you're not breaking any laws, in Illinois at least. Illinois law exempts you from responsibility.

"Drivers who transport a child that is not their own are exempt from fines or penalties in the event that the child's parent did not provide an appropriate child-restraint system. When riding in a commercial vehicle, such as a taxi, young children do not have to be contained to a restraint device."

From: http://traveltips.usatoday.com/car-safety-seat-laws-illinois-63233.html

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Massachusetts does not exempt commercial/for hire vehicles from safety belt laws but the driver is not responsible, the parent is. If pulled over parent will be ticketed.

Carrying car seat is a waste of space. I have a huge van and wouldn't do it. You might need either an infant carrier, booster sear with or without back, etc. Tell pax to call a cab company and request a car seat. Most if not all of them have them.

I will take an older kid if I think they can safely be buckled within reason. I warn the parents about the ticket and safety. Infants are a no-go, don't want that on my conscience.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Ubersense texts and messages to hand out water gum and candy to the drivers but they do not send text or post alerts asking them to have a child safety seat available.

They even teach in the class have gum candy and water available for passengers and mention nothing about child safety seat in the lives that require specific children to use them

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Choose the answer.

Illinois law states that commercial vehicles are exempt from child safety seat laws however I am NOT a commercial vehicle unless I have a commercial license therefore my vehicle is considered a private vehicle which is not exempt from child safety seat laws

I doubt uber will provide such information in the future however a secret internal document has turned up showing the course syllabus in use will be changed to include information on providing breastmilk and pacifiers

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Choose the answer.

Illinois law states that commercial vehicles are exempt from child safety seat laws however I am NOT a commercial vehicle unless I have a commercial license therefore my vehicle is considered a private vehicle which is not exempt from child safety seat laws

I doubt uber will provide such information in the future however a secret internal document has turned up showing the course syllabus in use will be changed to include information on providing breastmilk and pacifiers
Read the first part of the post again: Regardless if you're a commercial vehicle or not, "Drivers who transport a child that is not their own are exempt from fines or penalties in the event that the child's parent did not provide an appropriate child-restraint system."

So, in Illinois, unless you're transporting your own child without a car seat, or the child's parent provided you with a car seat and you didn't use it, you are exempt from fines and penalties. It's the parents' responsibility, not Uber's and not your's. (That doesn't mean I think you should do it, I'm only telling you that no one is breaking any laws except the parent. And in the interest of the child, they should be in a car seat.)

And FYI, I tried your roulette betting scheme (middle 12 on the outside) and I lost my $20! Lol :confused:

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Ohio also exempts taxicabs and public safety vehicles from child seat laws, but again, that doesn't specifically include Uber if the cop wants to hassle you. I am thinking of keeping a booster seat in my trunk. They don't take up much space and work for kids 40-100 pounds. Kids are typically 3 when they hit 40 so that's going to cover most instances. If I do it, I will always ask the parent if they would like to borrow it. Let it be their choice in case there's a problem.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Tim, well meaning as you are consider that you are now implying warranty of safety equipment. It wouldn't take a big legal stretch for a lawyer to come after you should an accident occur, alleging you certified the equipment was proper despite the child being under/over height or weight requirements or if the seat was installed improperly. Not saying this WILL happen, but it could.

Reactions: LAbDog65

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Tim, well meaning as you are consider that you are now implying warranty of safety equipment. It wouldn't take a big legal stretch for a lawyer to come after you should an accident occur, alleging you certified the equipment was proper despite the child being under/over height or weight requirements or if the seat was installed improperly. Not saying this WILL happen, but it could.
Nah, I clearly make it the parents decision and would even say "I don't know if this is adequate, but you can borrow it if you wish"

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Right but then you get into the he said she said. Lawyers are devious even when their clients aren't. I hate the situation but financially I think it is safer to just deny them the ride or at least not offer the booster. Obviously it is your choice, just playing devil's advocate.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's not going to matter if anyone gets pulled over with a child in the backseat that's not it in a safety seat or be wearing a seatbelt your getting a ticket maybe even a court date for child endangerment

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
It's not going to matter if anyone gets pulled over with a child in the backseat that's not it in a safety seat or be wearing a seatbelt your getting a ticket maybe even a court date for child endangerment
That hasn't happened to even one driver yet. You're being paranoid. And what's with your slogan? Liberty is only about freedom. Justice is about a fair government.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts