Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to put some various calculation questions in this thread for Uber Boston Drivers, because I don't tend to see too many threads that get into that nitty gritty.

First best I can tell these are the current UberX Boston Rates:

$6.15 = Minimum Fare
$1.15 = "Safe Rides/Booking/Service/Bullshit Fee"
$1.24 = Per Mile
$0.20 = Per Minute
$2.00 = Base Fare for Uber X or 1st Passenger on UberPool Run.

I'm just wondering if the $1.15 Safe Rides/Booking Fee comes out of your Miles/Minutes, or does it come off the top. In the first example it comes off the top (The pax pays it separately, and it doesn't factor into the Miles and Minutes of your Minimum Fare):

Example 1:

$6.15 = Minimum Fare
-$2.00 = Base Fare
-$1.15 = Safe Rides/Booking Fee
=$3.00 = (1.5 Miles x $1.24/Mile) + (5.7 Minutes * $0.20/Min) would be right about $3.00 in Miles and Minutes.

In Example 2 the Safe Rides/Booking Fee is deducted after a $6.15 Minimum Fare trip made up entirely of (base charge + Miles + Minutes):

Example 2:

$6.15 = Minimum Fare
-$2.00 = Base Fare
=$4.15 = (1.5 Miles x $1.24/Mile) + (11.45 Minutes * $0.20/Min) would be right about $4.15 in Miles and Minutes.
Then when you're paid the $1.15 Safe Rides/Booking Fee comes out of the above Minimum Fare.

As you can see the difference is huge! For the same mileage (1.5 Mile distance) If the Safe Rides Fee comes out of your Miles and Minutes you could be sitting in traffic almost twice as long as in the first example where Safe Rides is charged separately to the PAX.

I know one of you knows this answer right off the top of your head, but I thought I'd actually lay it out so someone else who doesn't know will be able to see the difference and what a big deal it is either way!

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
I'm just wondering if the $1.15 Safe Rides/Booking Fee comes out of your Miles/Minutes, or does it come off the top.
It comes off the top. Pax gets charged: Base Fare+charge for time+charge for mileage + 1.15 SRF = Total Fare. Driver gets paid: (Total Fare - 1.15 SRF), then apply ubers % cut.

Minimum fare works as follows:
1. A ride happens: Base fare + per/mile + per/minute + SRF = total fare.
2. Uber checks: is the total fare from Step 1 less or more than the minimum fare?
If more - go with the calculated fare.
If less - go with the minimum fare.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It comes off the top. Pax gets charged: Base Fare+charge for time+charge for mileage + 1.15 SRF = Total Fare. Driver gets paid: (Total Fare - 1.15 SRF), then apply ubers % cut.

2. Uber checks: is the total fare from Step 1 less or more than the minimum fare?
Math teacher

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

PERFECT ANSWER!!!

·
Registered
318 Posts

Doesn't sound like it's the first time you gave that answer ;)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

You were so good at answering that, I really hope you've got the calculation for UberPool, because I hear so many conflicting methods of calculating it. My understanding as of this moment would be you get the Base Fare for the 1st rider, and the time and distance for all routes for all pickups and drop offs BUT...

I keep hearing people complaining that Pool never pays surge, even if their pickup is IN the surge area? Maybe they're confused. I thought you only get surge if the 1st pax in a Pool is surging, and then the further benefit of pool is that any other riders in that pool line continue the surge rate.

I'm going to stop talking now, because I've only confused myself.

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
For pool, only the first leg has the 2.00 base fare. Additional legs do not have a base fare. The time and mile rates specific to pool apply as long as one leg is in the vehicle.

For pool surges, you can get a different surge factor on each leg. It should show the factor (say 1.4x) on the initial pool request. If a second leg is pinging you to accept, you can see before you accept if it has a surge factor or not. And the factor can be different than the other legs.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For pool, only the first leg has the 2.00 base fare. Additional legs do not have a base fare. The time and mile rates specific to pool apply as long as one leg is in the vehicle.

For pool surges, you can get a different surge factor on each leg. It should show the factor (say 1.4x) on the initial pool request. If a second leg is pinging you to accept, you can see before you accept if it has a surge factor or not. And the factor can be different than the other legs.
So in UberPool each pax essentially has their own surge factor based on the current surge rates at their individual pins. Do you have any idea how the diversions are paid for? So let's say pax 1's straight line trip as an Uber-X would be 1 mile and 3 minutes, but the diversion to pickup pax 2 adds 0.25 of a mile and 1 minutes to the trip just to pickup pax 2, who pays for that diversion in terms of miles/minutes from your current location on pax 1's straight line trip to pax 2's pin?

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
So in UberPool each pax essentially has their own surge factor based on the current surge rates at their individual pins. Do you have any idea how the diversions are paid for? So let's say pax 1's straight line trip as an Uber-X would be 1 mile and 3 minutes, but the diversion to pickup pax 2 adds 0.25 of a mile and 1 minutes to the trip just to pickup pax 2, who pays for that diversion in terms of miles/minutes from your current location on pax 1's straight line trip to pax 2's pin?
Haven't done the math on that.

My guess is that Uber (for driver pay) will apply the average of the surge rates to the miles and time based upon which legs of the pool trip are in the car at the time. The average surge rate would then change as riders are dropped off and new riders are added.

For riders they pay what they agreed to up front. The difference between what riders pay and drivers collect under pool is sketchy and has been discussed ad nauseam across this forum.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts