Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ride sharing giant Uber accused of deceptive conduct over $26,000 claim by Adelaide operator
Renato Castello, The Advertiser
March 9, 2017 8:41pm
Subscriber only
AN Uber car operator has threatened to sue the ride-sharing company for more than $26,000, claiming its "deceptive" conduct has left him out of pocket.

Zac Taylor, 29, of Salisbury has issued Uber with a letter of demand for the repayment of $26,196 for losses he says he incurred.

He alleges the company breached his contract by transferring him from its premium UberBlack service to its illegal UberX service "without his consent".

Mr Taylor said that in March last year, he paid for small passenger vehicle accreditation and bought a seven-seater Ssang Yong vehicle, following advice from Uber that the car would be suitable for its Uber Black service because it was on the Transport Department's list of approved vehicles.

But he said that four days later, he was told the car was no longer suitable for the Uber Black service and that it would be transferred to Uber X.

"This action meant that we were transferred to an illegal platform that we were not accredited, insured nor had we even agreed to. This also meant a significantly less income source," he said.

"I entered into a contract with Uber in good faith, I acquired what they and the DPTI advised was a suitable vehicle and I have done nothing but the right thing from beginning to end.

"I am now in a financial and stressed position where had Uber not given false and misleading information, and deceived me, I would not have been in.

"I am now paying an inflated amount in insurance, car repayments and general business operating expenses as a result of their actions.

"I think this is class-action worthy and should be fully endorsed by the South Australian Government as I certainly will not stand for a company that make as much as it does to sit back and steamroll its partners and the legislation that applies to this great state."

Uber Black drivers are accredited by the Transport Department and charge a higher fare than the illegal Uber X service.

Mr Taylor said he was liable for more than $40,000 in vehicle purchase, insurance, registration and accreditation costs over the life of the car loan.

He said the initial demand for $26,000, served at Uber's Grote St office last Friday, was "a start".

He said he would take legal action if he was not satisfied with Uber's response.

A spokesman for Uber said the company "appreciated" Mr Taylor's concerns and is reviewing them carefully.

Hopefully he follows through & sues them, it would be good if either they won or settled... it would set a precedent for litigious lawyers like Slater & Gordon to do no win no pay deals with drivers & take on Uber for their countless lies & deceptive practices towards their partners...

·
Premium Member
5,035 Posts
Standard reply from Uber. They can't publicly tell him " See you in court" but that's exactly what they are thinking. They settle with him then plenty more come after Uber for similar losses.

·
Registered
55 Posts
This is that same ******bag that was on that Today Tonight report complaining about Uber.

Uber Black hasn't been accredited for a while though, has it? Ben Hall - fill us in on the latest?

He's just an idiot that thinks he is entitled to compensation. Hope he gets nothing. Also, if he read his contracts when signing up and driving, there's a literal tonne of clauses and weasel-words that pretty much cover them for everything. I know you can't sign away your rights to sue in Australia, but you'd need a damn good lawyer to sue because Uber hurt your feelings.

·
Registered
46 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
This is that same ******bag that was on that Today Tonight report complaining about Uber.

Uber Black hasn't been accredited for a while though, has it? Ben Hall - fill us in on the latest?

He's just an idiot that thinks he is entitled to compensation. Hope he gets nothing. Also, if he read his contracts when signing up and driving, there's a literal tonne of clauses and weasel-words that pretty much cover them for everything. I know you can't sign away your rights to sue in Australia, but you'd need a damn good lawyer to sue because Uber hurt your feelings.
If what Jason said is true then I think he was really shafted, but after a while everyones rear hurts with uber.
However hi vehicle is on TV plates which are not registered for point to point work which Uber X and Uber Black is, so he was in breach of the regulations in any case.

But those who have been around long enough and will hang around long enough will realise that Uber is not in most cases the thing they thought it would be.

Uber black is not an accredited booking platform, It was but I believe that last year uber did not renew their operators accreditation.

Here is the Government word on who is accredited (hint: no uber black or uber x)

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/drivin...ndustry-services/taxi-and-passenger-transport
the above link is a bit misleading as to who is an accredited service,
those that are listed are approved booking platforms.
However if say you own 2 or more chauffeur registered vehicles, and you take your own bookings you do not need to be an accredited booking service. If you allocate bookings to a another operator for a fee then you need to be an Accredited booking service.

As a result the link above only refers to accredited booking services not accredited service operators

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Heard the guy that was on today tonight was in at ALC at Richmond today having quite the hissy fit....
it got to hard for him and threw his paperwork into the air and stormed out in s right huff.

He had to return though with his tail between his legs...

Wish I hhad been there to see it.
Thanks to the person who witnessed it... I would have loved to have seen it.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Personally I feel a bit sorry for the guy. He's young and dewy eyed and obviously got sucked in to Ubers "story" ( I have been warned about using expletives lately)......
I am not too proud to admit that I have been duped by an offer too good to be true in the past. but one lives and learns.
whether he has a legal leg to stand on remains to be seen,
there are plenty of sharks in the water to be sure, always read the fine print and if there's something, Anything, you're not 100% of, have a lawyer look it over FIRST

we had a lawyer look over a contract for us, cost us $700, saved us well over $40 000

·
Banned
5,897 Posts
Personally I feel a bit sorry for the guy. He's young and dewy eyed and obviously got sucked in to Ubers "story" ( I have been warned about using expletives lately)......
I am not too proud to admit that I have been duped by an offer too good to be true in the past. but one lives and learns.
whether he has a legal leg to stand on remains to be seen,
there are plenty of sharks in the water to be sure, always read the fine print and if there's something, Anything, you're not 100% of, have a lawyer look it over FIRST

we had a lawyer look over a contract for us, cost us $700, saved us well over $40 000
That's been quite the problem uber drivers that drive "select/black/premium etc.. they shouldn't have to drive for crappy uberx rates with upscale vehicles. BTW can we trade our president for yours.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
That's been quite the problem uber drivers that drive "select/black/premium etc.. they shouldn't have to drive for crappy uberx rates with upscale vehicles. BTW can we trade our president for yours.
I dont our PM is any smarter than yours crison

1 - 13 of 13 Posts