Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How different is Uber Black insurance from Uber X? Is the Insurance still through James River with a 1k deductible?

If anyone has ever had to file a claim, do you have to go through your personal insurer first?

·
Premium Member
3,407 Posts
If you're going to drive uber black, you will need to get commercial insurance. It's far more costly than your personal insurance.

Ubers insurance with James river becomes irrelevant when you're uber black.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just moved to commercial insurance. Was approx $4K (versus $1,200) to cover my car. But you have total peace of mind. I can do private rides, Uber Black and be confident that we are covered no matter who is at fault.
Can you please give me a referral to the insurance broker you used? I'm shopping for commercial insurance now and lowest I got was $5010. What kind of car you got?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
If you have commercial insurance you may be permitted to pick up at the airport and you will have total coverage unlike Uber's "insurance". You also won't have to deal with theirs as it's your own and claims will be easy to deal with.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just moved to commercial insurance. Was approx $4K (versus $1,200) to cover my car. But you have total peace of mind. I can do private rides, Uber Black and be confident that we are covered no matter who is at fault.
Hi,

Can you please give me any referral as to which commercial insurance companies you've used.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Pls R44KDEN can you give me a little heads up on the income and take home on uberblack/ uberSuv i am intending on driving in Baltimore presently I drive in nyc

·
Registered
423 Posts
Pls R44KDEN can you give me a little heads up on the income and take home on uberblack/ uberSuv i am intending on driving in Baltimore presently I drive in nyc
Actually I'm not sure what I have made in the last 10-days will be relevant to the area in which you are going to work. Denver versus Baltimore are 2 very different markets. What I did when I started was to introduce myself to a couple of UberBlack guys in the commercial holding area near the airport. Look for the cleanest, neatest car. We chatted and exchanged business cards. A few days later he agreed to meet. I then paid him $100 to sit down and talk with me for an hour. You will glean more in that hour than 100 hours trawling through an internet bulletin board. All I will say is that once you go Black, you will never go back :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
In California, about half of livery specific A rated commercial insurers removed their participation in this market, my prior insurer was one of them so i had to go to a new carrier despite being lucky enough to have no losses while in business. The remaining A rated carriers are only looking for the most cherry of potential insured's profiles. 3+ years in business 5+ vehicles in fleet and no losses. There is a B rated carrier "global" scooping up all of the newer TCPs/companies however you cannot get an LAX permit without an A rated insurance carrier. Rates from what ive seen talking to operators and shopping extensively myself is about 6k per year per car up to 12/13k per car for commercial insurance in CA.

·
Premium Member
22,605 Posts
In California, about half of livery specific A rated commercial insurers removed their participation in this market, my prior insurer was one of them so i had to go to a new carrier despite being lucky enough to have no losses while in business. The remaining A rated carriers are only looking for the most cherry of potential insured's profiles. 3+ years in business 5+ vehicles in fleet and no losses. There is a B rated carrier "global" scooping up all of the newer TCPs/companies however you cannot get an LAX permit without an A rated insurance carrier. Rates from what ive seen talking to operators and shopping extensively myself is about 6k per year per car up to 12/13k per car for commercial insurance in CA.
You just scared the hell out of me

·
Premium Member
22,605 Posts
And that's why I'm doing this in Georgia. Though I will say the insurance around here is starting to get weird, but not this crazy....thanks Uber
I've never has a loss
But I had a incident this year ( 0% my fault )
Only 1 vehicle , less than 5 years
It sounds like I may be a out candidate for A rated insurance

I expire in 7 weeks , just sent my renewal request 20 min ago
I will update how it goes
Crap!!!! Thanks UBER!!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've never has a loss
But I had a incident this year ( 0% my fault )
Only 1 vehicle , less than 5 years
It sounds like I may be a out candidate for A rated insurance

I expire in 7 weeks , just sent my renewal request 20 min ago
I will update how it goes
Crap!!!! Thanks UBER!!!!
This are not hard and fast rules, they are a result of my searching though many brokers and insurers and also consulting with other operators in the area. It is not impossible you can qualify for an A rated carrier with your situation however just not nearly as likely as it was last year or in the past.

edit: My personal experience is i literally only had one A rated carrier that could insure me at a reasonable rate with 2.5 years in business, a 5 car fleet and 0 losses. I shopped 4 brokers and over 10-15 insurers.

·
Premium Member
22,605 Posts
This are not hard and fast rules, they are a result of my searching though many brokers and insurers and also consulting with other operators in the area. It is not impossible you can qualify for an A rated carrier with your situation however just not nearly as likely as it was last year or in the past.
2 other drivers and my self got a letter from insurance co. 25% increase
Yes weird stuff going on

·
Registered
2 Posts
Why every one want to choose cheapest Auto Insurance policy or plan? Money is not only that factor that effects your choices rather comfortable is must be for every one so follow that policy which have as features.

·
Registered
362 Posts
What company are you with?

·
Registered
6 Posts
What company do you
suggest? What state are you in?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Can we back up a step or two? Is there actually sufficient traffic at the commercial levels of Uber to warrant a commercial setup? NYC area airports certainly appear to be base level and XL cars; limousines & the Suburban crowd are mostly running on a corporate account or personal drivers to the apparatchik.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts