Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a 21 yr old female with a good driving record moving to LA at the end next month because I'm transferring to a school there and eventually I would like to become an Uber driver once I settle in (probably around summer time). Luckily I already have a PT job waiting for me since my company is transferring me to a store out there. With help from my parents and working and living off student loans(lol) I honestly should have more than enough to cover my rent,utilities,car payment all that fun stuff.. but I would still like to add to my income so I can pay off some of my loans and save money to put into my business while still in school. I drive a 2014 Mercedes Benz C250 and my mom drives a loaded 2015 honda accord but we might switch cars because the accord is just more economical and practical for a young person living in LA...with that being said if I keep the Benz and take it to LA I can be a UberSelect, but if I bring the accord I can only do Uber X. Considering I'll really want to drive 5-8 hours a week on top of my job/schoolwork...how much can i expect to bring in each week UberSelect v UberX? Might even drive more when I have time off of school if it works out... it's not that my ability to survive will depend on Uber but if I can make a little bit extra money to get me ahead of the game....it might be worth it. Any advice?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
The advice and negativity will soon be smothering your post. But welcome. There's plenty of good advice here. Use the search feature and you'll find tons of similar threads and smarties.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm a 21 yr old female with a good driving record moving to LA at the end next month because I'm transferring to a school there and eventually I would like to become an Uber driver once I settle in (probably around summer time). Luckily I already have a PT job waiting for me since my company is transferring me to a store out there. With help from my parents and working and living off student loans(lol) I honestly should have more than enough to cover my rent,utilities,car payment all that fun stuff.. but I would still like to add to my income so I can pay off some of my loans and save money to put into my business while still in school. I drive a 2014 Mercedes Benz C250 and my mom drives a loaded 2015 honda accord but we might switch cars because the accord is just more economical and practical for a young person living in LA...with that being said if I keep the Benz and take it to LA I can be a UberSelect, but if I bring the accord I can only do Uber X. Considering I'll really want to drive 5-8 hours a week on top of my job/schoolwork...how much can i expect to bring in each week UberSelect v UberX? Might even drive more when I have time off of school if it works out... it's not that my ability to survive will depend on Uber but if I can make a little bit extra money to get me ahead of the game....it might be worth it. Any advice?
Welcome, just a reminder tips are included in the fare. -uber

·
Registered
482 Posts
Why is a college student driving a 2014 Mercedes?

If you want to take equity out of the car, sell it and buy a cheap car and keep the difference. It will be faster and less work.
Well, she's planning on switching to her mother's 2015 Accord which makes more sense if she's doing UberX.

and why do college students drive a 2014 Mercedes? Because they have the money for it, Sherlock. Even in a community college, I see many freshmen driving the latest Lexus or BMW 3 series. Not everybody who sends their kid to college belongs to the working class.

I don't expect much difference in driving only for 5-8 hours a week. But it's your schedule and Uber accommodates it better than almost anything else out there.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Why is a college student driving a 2014 Mercedes?

If you want to take equity out of the car, sell it and buy a cheap car and keep the difference. It will be faster and less work.
Most of the college kids I've picked up drive brand new bmws and what not.

Millenials parents know how to spoil

·
Premium Member
2,378 Posts
Keep the Benz and do Select. One or two rides could equal a whole day of X rides. Hit a few Select Surge rides, game over.

You'll also avoid the drug dealers and everything else that's just above the scum level that X affords.

Even better, if you're hot? and in a Benz... could potentially equal hella tips.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The advice and negativity will soon be smothering your post. But welcome. There's plenty of good advice here. Use the search feature and you'll find tons of similar threads and smarties.
It's a
Most of the college kids I've picked up drive brand new bmws and what not.

Millenials parents know how to spoil
Not this millennial. I financed my car by myself and make my car payments on my own.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Keep the Benz and do Select. One or two rides could equal a whole day of X rides. Hit a few Select Surge rides, game over.

You'll also avoid the drug dealers and everything else that's just above the scum level that X affords.

Even better, if you're hot? and in a Benz... could potentially equal hella tips.
Avoiding crack is always a good thing. Is being UberSelect more in demand in LA? How much can you make with Select on a surge night?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1. Get a job as a bartender
2. Quit your other PT job
3. Keep driving ur Mercedes

This is based on:

1. You're 21
2. You're a girl
Well my PT job provides amazing benefits like tuition assistance..and the ability to move up within the company after graduation so I'll probably keep it. Also what does me being a 21 year old female have to do with anything..just wondering?

·
Banned
8,571 Posts
Well my PT job provides amazing benefits like tuition assistance..and the ability to move up within the company after graduation so I'll probably keep it. Also what does me being a 21 year old female have to do with anything..just wondering?
Every job (pt with a major corporation that I've ever worked at) has tuition assistance...as long as I took the courses related to their area (eg business, fashion, management) so really no big deal.

Trust me, I've had gucci offer me a free iPhone, free clothes (Gucci) and will dry clean them for free (actually have folks pick them up at the store) + 6% commission on clothes/watches, 3% on handbag with no cap or minimum needed to get the commission...with room to move up in company after graduation (or even before) at $18/hr (yes I was dumb enough to turn this down).

It's cute that you sound like you want to be a lifer but majority of folks find that when you move up within the same company; your pay isn't as high as someone who comes from the outside. Regardless of the arena you're in (though I have a strong suspicion ((but I could be wrong)) that it's in retail).

Being 21 and female is an awesome time to take advantage of your assets regardless of how you look. (By that I mean makeup and a perky charismatic attuitude can help even if your face isn't naturally pretty and/or your chest/butt isn't bangin').

People will be more favorable with tips, and you would probably make more in a few hours in tips bartending than driving around in ur moms accord or ur own benz cos let's face it; you're going to be getting a 75% cut of uber rates minus gas, insurance, and upkeep. If your mom pays for your gas and insurance etc...than that means you're going to be making a few bucks + have your parents indirectly pay for your loan anyways.

just, my humble opinion of course :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't necessarily "need" money. I make more than enough money at my regular PT job to cover my expenses of living. Not to mention I have a lot of equity in my car due to the large down payment I made on it and the fact that I got it thousands of dollars below market value. I'm simply just trying to make extra money to put in savings, collect interest on it, and possibly have enough money to pay off the majority of my loans post graduation. I thought UberSelect made more than $1 a mile but I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,378 Posts
LA's Rates for Select

Pricing
Current pricing for Uber SELECT is listed below. Visit this page to learn how earnings are calculated.

Base Fare: $5
Per Minute: $0.40
Per Mile: $2.35

Safe Rides Fee: $1.65
Minimum Fare: $10.65
Cancellation Fee: $10

LA's Rates for X

Pricing
Current pricing for uberX is listed below. Visit this page to learn how earnings are calculated.

Base Fare: $0
Per Minute: $0.18
Per Mile: $1

Safe Rides Fee: $1.65
Minimum Fare: $4.65
Cancellation Fee: $5

·
Banned
165 Posts
You will make more in tips & wages waitressing or as a bartender. If you decide to visit other countries & need some cash those jobs will be easy to get if you have the experience ( even if you do not need the cash you will learn & experience more about the countries you visit if you do these jobs ). You cannot take your merc overseas with you.

·
Banned
8,571 Posts
I don't necessarily "need" money. I make more than enough money at my regular PT job to cover my expenses of living. Not to mention I have a lot of equity in my car due to the large down payment I made on it and the fact that I got it thousands of dollars below market value. I'm simply just trying to make extra money to put in savings, collect interest on it, and possibly have enough money to pay off the majority of my loans post graduation. I thought UberSelect made more than $1 a mile but I could be wrong.
This is so cute.

1) cars depreciate as soon as it comes off the lot, regardless of how much you pay below msrp butttttttttttttt let's assume that it's a 40k car that you got for 20k and placed 10k down so you only have a mere 10k left. Do you really want to use the "equity" you have to refi and get a lower rate? Is that what you mean? Very few banks (save maybe credit unions or Wells Fargo that still offers personal loans--not even community banks does this) will let you refi the auto loan to take money out. Houses do that, not auto

2) making extra money, is awesome. The higher you can get, the better. But you should factor all the costs that go into getting that money + how much you're getting to figuring out how much you're actually making. With anything in life, it's best to do this. As for interest in the bank...it's never going to be enough to keep up with what inflation has been averaging so...much less be equal to what your loan will be charging once you're done with school (or is currently charging, I really don't know the specifics of your loan(s)).

3) if you really don't "need" the extra money, my suggestion is to take that time to work your arse off and finish school early if possible. Lessen the amount of money you're going to owe if you can cram enough classes in your schedule to skip a semester or two b/c you're taking 20 units instead of 12.

Ps, if you say you're also ubering because you think it's a great way to meet different people + you love driving and don't mind making only a few bucks than its totally different and you should definitely do it

·
Banned
165 Posts
This is so cute.

1) cars depreciate as soon as it comes off the lot, regardless of how much you pay below msrp butttttttttttttt let's assume that it's a 40k car that you got for 20k and placed 10k down so you only have a mere 10k left. Do you really want to use the "equity" you have to refi and get a lower rate? Is that what you mean? Very few banks (save maybe credit unions or Wells Fargo that still offers personal loans--not even community banks does this) will let you refi the auto loan to take money out. Houses do that, not auto

2) making extra money, is awesome. The higher you can get, the better. But you should factor all the costs that go into getting that money + how much you're getting to figuring out how much you're actually making. With anything in life, it's best to do this. As for interest in the bank...it's never going to be enough to keep up with what inflation has been averaging so...much less be equal to what your loan will be charging once you're done with school (or is currently charging, I really don't know the specifics of your loan(s)).

3) if you really don't "need" the extra money, my suggestion is to take that time to work your arse off and finish school early if possible. Lessen the amount of money you're going to owe if you can cram enough classes in your schedule to skip a semester or two b/c you're taking 20 units instead of 12.

Ps, if you say you're also ubering because you think it's a great way to meet different people + you love driving and don't mind making only a few bucks than its totally different and you should definitely do it
I totally agree with everything you have said..not sure how it works in USA but here she could do a leaseback option.. anyway she has been given other options that are more suitable than Uber..be surprised if she could handle the males when their hormones over react because they got a female driver

·
Banned
1,616 Posts
Without commercial insurance you are operating an illegal *********, and are taking high risks. Uber on.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts