Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if Uber is reviewing driver partner applications now for the Las Vegas area? I have already attended the meeting for Lyft. I submitted my application on June 2nd. I received a text saying they would update me but have not heard from Uber since.
I suspect they may be waiting for final requirements to be handed down by regulators and Lyft simply got a head start. Anybody have any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I think you're right they're waiting for the final regulations. I'm surprised Lyft had a meeting..they told me via email they'd be in touch once things were settled. Uber basically emailed the same thing. Probably the biggest issue for either is the $300K fee the State wants. Articles I've read said Lyft wants a huge reduction...the most they've ever paid is $100K. Once everything is finalized it'll depend how much they think Nevada is worth to them.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Realistically, it is probably worth more than 300K to them. Keep in mind unlike the majority of the country we have an extremely controlled transportation system. For the tourist market they will really only be competing with a few cab companies that have major staffing problems. The locals and off strip market they will own almost entirely. If they both start more corporate accounts (seems inevitable) as well as incentive programs it will put a serious dent in the black sedan market, but not devastate it. And they will most likely have a several very profitable years before another competitor comes around. Makes the 300 K quite a bargain for both companies.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Realistically, it is probably worth more than 300K to them. Keep in mind unlike the majority of the country we have an extremely controlled transportation system. For the tourist market they will really only be competing with a few cab companies that have major staffing problems. The locals and off strip market they will own almost entirely. If they both start more corporate accounts (seems inevitable) as well as incentive programs it will put a serious dent in the black sedan market, but not devastate it. And they will most likely have a several very profitable years before another competitor comes around. Makes the 300 K quite a bargain for both companies.
No UberBlack for Nevada right now, only UberX. It may get some of the hire car service but for non taxi hire cars there is still the requirement that the car services have to be booked no sooner than an hour before you need (that has some loopholes as well). Until they address that and the fact that UberBlack are traditional licensed livery services I don't see much of an impact, if any in the black car/SUV market for the resort corridor but for locals transport to the airport that could be a different story. For a good chunk of the burbs, it can be an $80-100 cab ride to or from the airport. A town car service is $40-50. If UberX can get it closer to that, on demand at least for the runs to the airport they could get some business.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No UberBlack for Nevada right now, only UberX. It may get some of the hire car service but for non taxi hire cars there is still the requirement that the car services have to be booked no sooner than an hour before you need (that has some loopholes as well). Until they address that and the fact that UberBlack are traditional licensed livery services I don't see much of an impact, if any in the black car/SUV market for the resort corridor but for locals transport to the airport that could be a different story. For a good chunk of the burbs, it can be an $80-100 cab ride to or from the airport. A town car service is $40-50. If UberX can get it closer to that, on demand at least for the runs to the airport they could get some business.
My thinking was that if incentives like airline miles/points or free trips after a certain number of rides were worked into Uber/ Lyft business model, that would directly impact the black car industry in Vegas. Some companies with corporate accounts may actually direct employees to use TNC's exclusively to help offset airfare/ travel expenses. It is nearly impossible for the smaller localized sedan industry to compete with that. I saw promotional signs offering double mileage points for using Uber when I was in Hong Kong earlier in the year. Coming to America soon?

·
Premium Member
2,668 Posts
I don't see in the regulations (now that they've been approved) that prohibits UberBlack. I know they didn't do it before, but with the high application fees, they may "unleash" all their services to recoup.
You are correct about Uber Black. This topic was covered for the second time once again by Assemblywoman Kirkpatrick at todays LCB meeting in the five questions she ask of the Chairman of the NTA. The only regulation that the NTA has at the present time under AB 175/ AB 176 is an Uber vehicle cannot have more than eight seats belts used by an Uber partner in Nevada.

This topic was also covered in the first public hearing in July. In this meeting it was clearly and concisely told to all in attendance the color of a vehicle and model like a black caddy SUV cannot be stopped for use on the Uber platform if an individual wishes to operate this vehicle in the state of Nevada. It is only a four door truck plain and simple.

Once again the minutes are at the NTA on this topic for individual witch cannot view or attended meetings of the NTA. Unfortunately, the NTA does not place the minutes into their website in due course hopefully when more staff are hired this will be added to the very long list of goals they have to successfully complete in the near future.

It is a large mistake to think everyone is not giving their very best efforts in this matter, if you heard Mr. Breslow comments today that would be very clear. Like the Chairman of the NTA said several months ago this is a heavy lift in a short time but all his staff will do their very best. That has taken place. Nevada over time will have an a first class TNC marketplace with the correct balance of regulations and staff to undertake the task at hand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts