Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much are you guys paying for your Uber & Lyft inspections? My local mechanic is offering a discounted price to do both of mine for $20-25. Is this a good deal? Let me know what you guys are paying.. I may be able to get a discount on the inspections for other members.

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
I got an inspection at Uber for $20 and then drove to the Lyft office to submit it to them. The dude in the front told me Lyft won't accept these inspections and told me to go across the street to Midas. I took a picture of it, uploaded it and it was approved by Lyft in less than 10 minutes. The guy at the front is probably getting a kick back for every driver he sends to Midas.

·
Banned
1,417 Posts
How much are you guys paying for your Uber & Lyft inspections? My local mechanic is offering a discounted price to do both of mine for $20-25. Is this a good deal? Let me know what you guys are paying.. I may be able to get a discount on the inspections for other members.
Doesn't the shop have to be "certified" by Uber/Lyft? I thought there was a stamp, like a notary seal type thing. I paid $20 at the North Ave. Greenlight hub and had no issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Doesn't the shop have to be "certified" by Uber/Lyft? I thought there was a stamp, like a notary seal type thing. I paid $20 at the North Ave. Greenlight hub and had no issues whatsoever.
I just had my shop fill it out and it was approved less than 15 mins later. My mechanic ended up doing it for free. No more inspection fees for me. And Im pretty sure that Uber used to let you take it to your own local repair shop.

·
Banned
1,417 Posts
I just had my shop fill it out and it was approved less than 15 mins later. My mechanic ended up doing it for free. No more inspection fees for me. And Im pretty sure that Uber used to let you take it to your own local repair shop.
I would have done that myself last time, but I looked at the form, and there's a place for "technician stamp/initial", so I was pretty sure the shop had to be approved by Uber... My mechanic wouldn't have charged me either.
https://uber.app.box.com/s/8rtw9q8103hr8kdye6faqy9wg3n6gc8i

"Take this form and your vehicle to an approved mechanic shop or an Uber Greenlight
Hub at 1401 W. North Ave, 4609 W. Belmont Ave, or 1001 W. 115th St that includes a
vehicle inspection lot. We have listed a number of shops at t.uber.com/cvilist for your
reference. We recommend calling these locations for scheduling."

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would have done that myself last time, but I looked at the form, and there's a place for "technician stamp/initial", so I was pretty sure the shop had to be approved by Uber... My mechanic wouldn't have charged me either.
https://uber.app.box.com/s/8rtw9q8103hr8kdye6faqy9wg3n6gc8i

"Take this form and your vehicle to an approved mechanic shop or an Uber Greenlight
Hub at 1401 W. North Ave, 4609 W. Belmont Ave, or 1001 W. 115th St that includes a
vehicle inspection lot. We have listed a number of shops at t.uber.com/cvilist for your
reference. We recommend calling these locations for scheduling."
And at the very bottom of that form it says -

"My shop completed their own inspection form, can I upload that?
No, the Rasier Inspection Form must be the inspection form uploaded"
That last line right there makes it sound like your local shop can complete the inspection as long as it's done on the official Uber inspection form. .

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Doesn't the shop have to be "certified" by Uber/Lyft? I thought there was a stamp, like a notary seal type thing.
I looked at the form, and there's a place for "technician stamp/initial", so I was pretty sure the shop had to be approved by Uber...
The JiffyLube that does my inspection has a red rubber stamp that reads: UBER C.V.I. (I don't know what the letters mean)

·
Banned
1,417 Posts
The JiffyLube that does my inspection has a red rubber stamp that reads: UBER C.V.I. (I don't know what the letters mean)
Certified Vehicle Inspector...

That's why it says "inspector name", "inspector address" at the bottom of the former.

Joe the Mechanic might be a good mechanic, but if he all he knows is there is a checklist and you check boxes, then there is no relevance for an "official" Uber inspection, because that mechanic would have no concept of what the actual standards are. You check the box "pass" for brakes if the car has brakes, regardless of pad thickness? If it has no brakes at all, you check "fail"? Sounds good.

There would also be no recourse for Uber against a "non-certified" inspector if he was taking money and passing old Yugos with no seatbelts or doors. What could they do?

Essentially, you could have your brother fill out the form, if that's the rule, because the form says nothing about licensing or anything else.

chitown73, I don't doubt that they passed your form, and more power to you, but that only happened because of the general incompetence of the Uber system. For what it's worth, the $20 inspection I got took less than 2 minutes and appeared to be more than just a bit lax, so there you go, that's Uber for you. They have no interest in actually rejecting cars.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Certified Vehicle Inspector...

That's why it says "inspector name", "inspector address" at the bottom of the former.

Joe the Mechanic might be a good mechanic, but if he all he knows is there is a checklist and you check boxes, then there is no relevance for an "official" Uber inspection, because that mechanic would have no concept of what the actual standards are. You check the box "pass" for brakes if the car has brakes, regardless of pad thickness? If it has no brakes at all, you check "fail"? Sounds good.

There would also be no recourse for Uber against a "non-certified" inspector if he was taking money and passing old Yugos with no seatbelts or doors. What could they do?

Essentially, you could have your brother fill out the form, if that's the rule, because the form says nothing about licensing or anything else.

chitown73, I don't doubt that they passed your form, and more power to you, but that only happened because of the general incompetence of the Uber system. For what it's worth, the $20 inspection I got took less than 2 minutes and appeared to be more than just a bit lax, so there you go, that's Uber for you. They have no interest in actually rejecting cars.
Well my "mechanic" is indeed am actual REAL, ASE CERTIFIED mechanic at a legit repair shop, unlike the Uber/Lyft hub employees who couldn't change a gas cap let alone perform an actual legitimate inspection. It's funny that you used the example of Joe the mechanic not knowing what the actual standards are, when all of the items on the checklist arethings that any real repair shop would be more than qualified to "inspect". They're definitely more qualified than the Uber/Lyft hub and more qualified than the bums working at the local Jiffy Lube. You yourself said that your own inspection took all of 2 mins. That certainly doesn't scream "qualified" in any sense of the word.

·
Banned
1,417 Posts
Well my "mechanic" is indeed am actual REAL, ASE CERTIFIED mechanic at a legit repair shop, unlike the Uber/Lyft hub employees who couldn't change a gas cap let alone perform an actual legitimate inspection. It's funny that you used the example of Joe the mechanic not knowing what the actual standards are, when all of the items on the checklist arethings that any real repair shop would be more than qualified to "inspect". They're definitely more qualified than the Uber/Lyft hub and more qualified than the bums working at the local Jiffy Lube. You yourself said that your own inspection took all of 2 mins. That certainly doesn't scream "qualified" in any sense of the word.
Hey, don't get mad, but ASE certification has nothing to do with anything. The Uber inspection is not a repair job. They don't perform work. If ASE certification had anything to do with anything, you would see a line entry accordingly.

You talk as if "the standards" are some universally accepted principals of what a "qualified rideshare vehicle" entails. How many mils on the brake pads? Tires? There is no universal rules on these matters, it's whatever Uber decides... Jesus, some of you guys have the reasoning skills of a grade school child.

My mechanic is also ASE certified, but he has no idea what Uber's particular standards are. I would have gladly PAID my mechanic to do the form, because I believe in paying people that give me their time. It's $20... I'm not going to ask my mechanic to do something for free just so I can save $20.... smdh.

And no, the greenlight guys are not qualified - like I said, they spent less than 2 minutes - I have low tread on my tires, a dent in the fender, etc., none of that mattered at all.

This is a formality, it's not a judgment on the actual quality of your car. The "qualifications" of the inspectors is neither here nor there. The whole process is a sham, but you still got away with a non-certified inspector, whether you like it or not.

Just be happy you didn't have to pay the fee.

It's not advisable that anybody's CPA or sister can fill out the form. You might get away with it, but there's supposed to be a stamp, as SuperStar3000 illustrated. I never saw my form.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey, don't get mad, but ASE certification has nothing to do with anything. The Uber inspection is not a repair job. They don't perform work.

My mechanic is also ASE certified, but he has no idea what Uber's particular standards are. I would have gladly PAID my mechanic to do the form, because I believe in paying people that give me their time.

And no, the greenlight guys are not qualified - like I said, they spent less than 2 minutes - I have low tread on my tires, a dent in the fender, etc., none of that mattered at all.

This is a formality, it's not a judgment on the actual quality of your car. The "qualifications" of the inspectors is neither here nor there. The whole process is a sham, but you still got away with a non-certified inspector, whether you like it or not.

Just be happy you didn't have to pay the fee.

It's not advisable that anybody's CPA or sister can fill out the form. There's supposed to be a stamp, as SuperStar3000 illustrated. I never saw my form.
You keep referring to Uber's standards, but just the fact that Uber took 2 mins to pass your car, proves there are no standards. In fact 99% of the items on the checklist don't even remotely qualify as requiring a "standard" except possibly the brakes and tire tread depth which would be a safety issue. Heck you just stated that Uber passed your vehicle with low tread on your toes so they most likely just fakes some b*s number on the form just to collect the money.
And I too believe in paying for a service and my mechanics time but I've been going there for 10+ yrs and he himself insisted there was no charge.

·
Banned
1,417 Posts
You keep referring to Uber's standards, but just the fact that Uber took 2 mins to pass your car, proves there are no standards. In fact 99% of the items on the checklist don't even remotely qualify as requiring a "standard" except possibly the brakes and tire tread depth which would be a safety issue. Heck you just stated that Uber passed your vehicle with low tread on your toes so they most likely just fakes some b*s number on the form just to collect the money.
And I too believe in paying for a service and my mechanics time but I've been going there for 10+ yrs and he himself insisted there was no charge.
I don't understand what you are squealing about. Uber does have standards, it's just that nobody has any idea what they are unless you are a "C.V.I", in which case you would know what the standards are, no matter how ridiculous they may be.

Your mechanic isn't a "C.V.I"... the inspection form requires an "approved mechanic", period, end of story. You got away with it. Good for you. Nobody cares how good or bad your guy is. But to come on here and say, "but this one line here seems to indicate that anyone calling their business a "shop" can do the work" is patently false. If that's the case, then anybody that need an inspection can email me and I'll do it at my "shop" for $5.

You guys are hilarious some times... you literally imagine all kinds of realities that have nothing to do with anything. On topic after topic, from IRS mileage deductions, to whatever else.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't understand what you are squealing about. Uber does have standards, it's just that nobody has any idea what they are unless you are a "C.V.I", in which case you would know what the standards are, no matter how ridiculous they may be.

Your mechanic isn't a "C.V.I"... the inspection form requires an "approved mechanic", period, end of story. You got away with it. Good for you. Nobody cares how good or bad your guy is. But to come on here and say, "but this one line here seems to indicate that anyone calling their business a "shop"" can do the work is patently false. If that's the case, then anybody that need an inspection can email me and I'll do it at my "shop" for $5.
And each reply you post contradicts every rob you've said. Bottom line is my car was inspected by a legitimate shop. No one's squealing about anything. And again, there are NO standards for checking the operation of things like lights, cracks in windshield, and how many doors there are. You obviously don't know the definition of a "standard". You arguments sound like your just an Uber employee.

·
Registered
675 Posts
And each reply you post contradicts every rob you've said. Bottom line is my car was inspected by a legitimate shop. No one's squealing about anything. And again, there are NO standards for checking the operation of things like lights, cracks in windshield, and how many doors there are. You obviously don't know the definition of a "standard". You arguments sound like your just an Uber employee.
That sounds right. I'm sure a certified mechanic knows IDHS vehicle safety standards. Such as tire tread depth, brake thickness and the like. I personally know that state police safety checks include headlight kelvins being equal, no tail light coverings or strobes, chips in windshield cant be felt with the finger in front of all riders. Free, ASE certitude mechanic checks seem best. CPA's should do taxes. Day traders pick stocks. Drivers should do what they do best or have done best in the past. Dishwashing don't count.

Why ASE certified is best.
http://procarmechanics.com/5-reasons-to-use-an-ase-certified-mechanic-to-repair-your-vehicle/

1 - 18 of 18 Posts