Uber Drivers Forum banner

In last 180 days, my combined hourly ride-sharing earnings on both Uber and Lyft have grown?

• Strongly Agree

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Agree

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Neutral

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Disagree

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Strongly Disagree

Votes: 14 56.0%
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Fellow Drivers:

Despite all negative publicity that Uber and Lyft have recently been receiving about the exploitation of their labor forces, they continue to manipulate and suppress our opportunities to earn decent income. As a driver who mainly drives in OC, I've noticed the following (which was probably described in different threads of the forum) I would like to summarize:

1. Serious surge suppression in LAX and JWA airports by putting geo-fences and capping it. Last year it was not a problem to receive 2.0-2.5x surge requests at JWA; this year Uber put a cap at 1.8x and very rarely at 2.0x. They send low-ball requests to naive drivers outside the queue zone by luring them with the "Premium Pickup Possible" trick.
2. A significant increase of stacked, typically base or low-surge (1.2-1.4x), pings from 8-10 min away and long pickups (aka "Premium Pickup Possible").
3. Receiving of no or only base and low-surge requests, when you're in the middle of high long surges (>1.7x).
4. Increase of short surges (1-2 min) in hot spots that used to surge for 3-5 min at least, as Uber is deliberately trying to cut down surges by pushing long pickups (aka "Premium Pickup Possible") instead (see the attached).
Font Number Screenshot Document Parallel

5. Suppressed surges during normally busy times -- morning and late afternoon commute, inclement weather conditions.
6. Fake surges in the areas where no actual high demand.
7. Throttling drivers with low acceptance rate. Uber phone customer support slipped this information in my conversation with them, and it was the case reported by a few other drivers on the forum. Along these lines, I drove several passengers who were very upset with Uber sending them drivers from 10-15 min away, when I was only 1-3 min away well positioned in the surge area. It took them 1-2 times to cancel before getting me as the closest driver. The last experience I had this morning with a guy with a time-sensitive appointment, who had to cancel 2 times, as Uber was sending him drivers completing a trip 10-15 min away instead of me being around the corner.

Does the summary look accurate?

To fight this dishonest behavior and ongoing manipulations by Uber (and Lyft), including their upfront pricing scam, I suggest we unite and keep this thread on top of this forum by keeping it up to date every day with fresh observations and ways to fight it.

This will help us:
  • Be aware of what is happening out there
  • Share best practices (e.g., Don't Accept Any Trips Less Than 1.7x surge or DF To Keep Your Driving Profitable)
  • Educate new drivers on working smart
  • Draw additional media and legal attention to the unfair business practices and exploitation
We are a very large group of people and our voice should be heard!!!

Agree?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hello Fellow Drivers:

Despite all negative publicity that Uber and Lyft have recently been receiving about the exploitation of their labor forces, they continue to manipulate and suppress our opportunities to earn decent income. As a driver who mainly drives in OC, I've noticed the following (which was probably described in different threads of the forum) I would like to summarize:

1. Serious surge suppression in LAX and JWA airports by putting geo-fences and capping it. Last year it was not a problem to receive 2.0-2.5x surge requests at JWA; this year Uber put a cap at 1.8x and very rarely at 2.0x. They send low-ball requests to naive drivers outside the queue zone by luring them with the "Premium Pickup Possible" trick.
2. A significant increase of stacked, typically base or low-surge (1.2-1.4x), pings from 8-10 min away and long pickups (aka "Premium Pickup Possible").
3. Receiving of no or only base and low-surge requests, when you're in the middle of high long surges (>1.7x).
4. Increase of short (1-2 min) in normally hot spots, when Uber is deliberately trying to cut down surges by pushing long pickups (aka "Premium Pickup Possible") instead (see the attached).
5. Suppressed surges during normally busy times -- morning and late afternoon commute, inclement weather conditions.
7. Throttling drivers with low acceptance rate. Uber phone customer support slipped this information in my conversation with them, and it was the case reported by a few other drivers on the forum. Along these lines, I drove several passengers who were very upset with Uber sending them drivers from 10-15 min away, when I was only 1-3 min away well positioned in the surge area. It took them 1-2 times to cancel before getting me as the closest driver. The last experience I had this morning with a guy with a time-sensitive appointment, who had to cancel 2 times, as Uber was sending him drivers completing a trip 10-15 min away instead of me being around the corner.

To fight this dishonest behavior and ongoing manipulations by Uber (and Lyft), including their upfront pricing scam, I suggest we unite and keep this thread on top of this forum by keeping it up to date every day with fresh observations and ways to fight it.

This will help us:
  • Share best practices (e.g., Don't Accept Any Trips Less Than 1.7x surge or DF To Keep Your Driving Profitable)
  • Draw additional media and legal attention to unfair business practices and exploitation

Agree?
I agree with most of what you said, but I think our best bet is getting a company that really cares about drivers (and riders) to go national. A company that takes maybe 15% or less of our fares. They can also charge riders less. Uber and Lyft are not going to be that, ever. Not sure who it could be at this point unfortunately.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It looks like veterans have been busy counting their life-changing money and cleaning fees earned last night :) After the crappy Friday, it was nice to earn $400+ on my end yesterday.

In order to help our new fellow drivers (=ants) to come up to speed quickly, let's keep this thread live and on top.

Shoot your stories and comments, so that everyone is ready to work smart during following slow days. without Uber and Lyft taking advantage of our collective naivety!

Have a great rest of the weekend!!!

·
Premium Member
23,299 Posts
Unless one is in a high demand area (such as an event) Uber likes to delay next ping 3 minutes after passing on previous. Check it out, they are doing this. They used to actually have a feature In-App that would notify driver of a 'Time-Out' when not accepting pings. But courts ruled that a violation of Independent Contractor's rights. Now Uber just does it and doesn't tell the driver. : /

·
Premium Member
5,868 Posts
Hello Fellow Drivers:

4. Increase of short (1-2 min) in normally hot spots, when Uber is deliberately trying to cut down surges by pushing long pickups (aka "Premium Pickup Possible") instead (see the attached).

This will help us:
  • Draw additional media and legal attention to unfair business practices and exploitation

Agree?
What voice? We had no voice.

·
Premium Member
2,392 Posts
It looks like veterans have been busy counting life-changing money and cleaning fees earned last night :) After the crappy Friday, it was nice to earn $400+ on my end yesterday.

In order to help our new fellow drivers (=ants) to come up to speed quickly, let's keep this thread live and on top.

Shoot your stories and comments, so that everyone is ready to work smart during following slow days. without Uber and Lyft taking advantage of our collective naivety!

Have a great rest of the weekend!!!
Why are you complaining if you're making $400 a day? Some days are busy and some days are slow.

If you want to make consistent money then you should be working as a 9 to 5'er.

Complaining to a forum which holds maybe 1% of active uber drivers isn't gonna get any of us anywhere.

Once they came up with the service charge and started manipulating the surge to their benefits, this gig was already game over.

Do your best, save as much money as you can and move on to greener pastures. Make 90k a year working part time days are long gone.

Trying to make something work when it's out of your control is just insane and a waste of time.

·
Banned
889 Posts
I think you're wrong.

they're stealing nothing from you.
You know what you signed up for, and so do i, if its not good enough don't do it

If you decide to work / take rides for any company, you're beholden to them

·
Premium Member
23,299 Posts
I think you're wrong.

they're stealing nothing from you.
You know what you signed up for, and so do i, if its not good enough don't do it

If you decide to work / take rides for any company, you're beholden to them
This isn't what many signed up for, when it comes to X. They have changed the rules many many times, always to driver's disadvantage.

·
Banned
889 Posts
This isn't what many signed up for, when it comes to X. They have changed the rules many many times, always to driver's disadvantage.
LaLa just understand i hear you.

It doesn't matter, if you work for somebody else you are beholden to their whims.

In 2015 i worked at this restaurant in Malibu as a Server
It was nonstop busy, and aggressively understaffed.
for the first 6 months i made $8000 a month ---- take home.

6 months in they hired a new Asst GM, they more than doubled the server count, and the place slowed down by at least 3x (winter)

I lost permanently $5000/month
I gave my blood sweat and tears to that place in that first 6 months.

But it doesn't matter, they call the shots.

Uber calls the shots

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

It doesn't matter, if you work for somebody else you are beholden to their whims.

6 months in they hired a new Asst GM, they more than doubled the server count, and the place slowed down by at least 3x (winter)

Uber calls the shots
You can "call the shots" and continue to screw drivers. Then you have to deal with negative PR, class action suits, referral bonuses and huge advertising to recruit and mislead new naive drivers. Is it really worth it?

For a company of Uber's or Lyft's size, why not be a good citizen or just a good human being to benefit every stakeholder involved? However, they seem not to be realizing that their reckless behavior puts themselves at risk.

It is a real shame what they have been doing to drive the income of drivers down! Our goal here is to make the right choice(s) and don't play their unethical game at least.

Whenever we can we should educate each other, share best practices, reach out to media outlets and lawyers to fight back their corporate greed and nonsense.

Make sense?

·
Banned
860 Posts

Uber calls the shots
Not so fast. We live in country that have laws and regulations. Uber has to play by the rules(which they dont). I understand there is a"contract" between driver and uber, but there are laws of the land, regulations. Or m I missing something.?

·
Banned
20,770 Posts
Not so fast. We live in country that have laws and regulations. Uber has to play by the rules(which they dont). I understand there is a"contract" between driver and uber, but there are laws of the land, regulations. Or m I missing something.?
The predominant american view is REGULATIONS ARE FOR COMMIES.

Were you not aware???

·
Banned
860 Posts
You can "call the shots" and continue to screw drivers. Then you have to deal with negative PR, class action suits, referral bonuses and huge advertising to recruit and mislead new naive drivers. Is it really worth it?

For a company of Uber's or Lyft's size, why not be a good citizen or just a good human being to benefit every stakeholder involved? However, they seem not to be realizing that their reckless behavior puts themselves at risk.

It is a real shame what they have been doing to drive the income of drivers down! Our goal here is to make the right choice(s) and don't play their unethical game at least.

Whenever we can we should educate each other, share best practices, reach out to media outlets and lawyers to fight back their corporate greed and nonsense.

Make sense?
Our best bet is our local politician. The more we call and send email to our council members the more voice we have. Trust me. I know. Let me tell you the story actually two.
1) if you with uber long enough you should remember that the oy way to communicate was email. Well, after I have started cc all my communication with uber reps to my council member , uber stoped email communication and introduced in app tect message.
2) after a few complains about uber taking advantage of drivers by forcing drivers into ac/cr with pool rides, they dropped the AR requirement to quest and added .95 cents per pick up.
Don't know if it's a coincidence but it's a 100 true story

The predominant american view is REGULATIONS ARE FOR COMMIES.

Were you not aware???
I know. And Putin killed JFK, and created Isis. And people actually belive that US won ww2

·
Premium Member
23,299 Posts

Uber calls the shots
I recall your post about such. Personally, I earn better on Uber now because I work smarter than when I started. My main point is that Uber changed the rules many times over the past few years. And, your example, along with what Uber does, is sorta small compared to the bend over experiences I have experienced over the years in my day job. We're talking hundreds of thousands of dollars, literally. And that was with iron clad contracts in place. Is what it is...I sleep well at night and enjoy my life.

Peace

1 - 20 of 139 Posts