Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Rebel Honey Badger
17,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Uber and Lyft are in a battle for user loyalty, and riders may win

Customers are shopping between the two ride-hail leaders and taking the car with the better price.
1007905004.jpg.0.jpg

Ride-sharing customers are becoming less loyal.

Americans who used both Uber and Lyft in the last quarter of 2018 accounted for about a third of the companies' ride-sharing revenue, according to new data from Earnest Research, which analyzes purchases from millions of anonymized US credit and debit cards. That's up 13 percentage points from the beginning of 2016.

Uber-only riders still controlled a majority of that ride-share revenue last quarter - 51 percent - but that's shrinking as a greater share of customers use Lyft, both together with Uber and on its own. Some 15 percent of revenue was from Lyft-only riders, up from 5 percent two years ago

Screenshot_20190205-132826~2.jpg

https://www.recode.net/platform/amp/2019/2/5/18210376/uber-lyft-ride-loyalty-chart

Overall, Uber grabbed 70 percent of the ride-share revenue in Q4 2018, compared with 30 percent for Lyft*, meaning Uber takes a bigger share of the revenue in the group that uses both.

The gap between market share overall and among people who use both services likely means that when people have both apps, they shop between them and take the car with the better price. That could lead to even more pressure on the ride-sharing giants to lower prices and offer promotions.

It's also pushing the companies - both of which plan to hit the public markets at giant valuations this year - to differentiate themselves. As Recode's Pivot co-host Scott Galloway has said, currently they don't have much in the way of "moats" surrounding their businesses because they're essentially offering the same services. That means it could be pretty simple for a competitor to come in and take market share by offering the same thing at a lower price.

Uber wants to expand its offerings to become the "Amazon of transportation," by selling third-party goods and services like it does with Uber Eats. Both Uber and Lyft have expanded into other transportation markets, including scooters. And both Uber and Lyft are trying to lock in core customers by instituting loyalty and reward programs.

Uber's bad behavior, including sexual harassment scandals and controversy surrounding Trump's travel ban, caused some people to boycott the company in a #deleteUber campaign. The efforts hurt Uber's market share and helped Lyft's, as people considered Lyft to be the more socially conscious option.

Under its new leadership, however, Uber has recovered. And Lyft is now in some trouble of its own for trying to avoid paying its New York drivers a new, higher minimum wage, leading people to question whether Lyft is any better than Uber.

As competition for dominance intensifies, the battle to capture loyal users will be fought on both the price and perception fronts. And increasingly, this war will happen in the public eye. Only 3 percent of Americans had never heard of ride-hailing services like Uber or Lyft in 2018, according to Pew Research. That's down from 33 percent who hadn't heard of ride sharing three years earlier.

About a third of Americans have used ride-hailing services, depending on which study you read, and that number has been rising rapidly.

When Uber and Lyft go public, they will have even more name recognition.

* Note that market-share data here does not include Uber's and Lyft's much smaller competitors like Gett, Juno, and Via.

·
Banned
1,151 Posts
These two companies have misunderstood themselves. They think they're like a Google, or an Apple, or an Intel, and deserve fan following. No. They're nothing but a bunch of thieves on Market street and Berry street, who have somehow come up with a freaking app. Uber/Lyft app is not a tech marvel. It is not a UNIX kernel, or an Intel CPU.

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
When you compete on price, and that's all they can do, it's a race to the bottom.

Both their forthcoming IPOs are nothing but elaborate Ponzi schemes to bail out current investors.

This article, its comments, and the paper it links to are all one needs to see where this is headed.

One could devise a new drinking game for every time it mentions "squeeze drivers".

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I'm surprised at how many pax tell me they only use Lyft or Uber. I just agree with whatever they say because I'm not an idiot but inside I'm like, loyalty to companies is for @@@@@@@ nowdays, why are you bragging about it?
Yeah I still get that shit too. I'd be curious how many "I only use Uber" people I picked up yesterday on Lyft.

And this isn't the 50's. Loyalty means nothing to anyone these days. That's why Bezos is worth 120 billion dollars. Because **** you Mom & Pop stores, that's why.

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
Yeah I still get that shit too. I'd be curious how many "I only use Uber" people I picked up yesterday on Lyft.

And this isn't the 50's. Loyalty means nothing to anyone these days. That's why Bezos is worth 120 billion dollars. Because @@@@ you Mom & Pop stores, that's why.
Yes and no... I got PayPal to refund me $1,700 on a transaction I would've otherwise been SOL because they saw I've had an account with them since 2002. Just has to be the right company.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Loyalty does count and not every person makes a decision based on a few bucks here and there.

If a company treats me well and has my back in situations.... they have my loyalty.

Example my oven went out after 5 years GE covered the $1k fix. It went out again.... they said no fix we will give you the new model $1200 off retail.

They didn’t need to do any of the above but I explained the first time i outfitted my kitchen with their top stuff. They have all that on file and went above and beyond.

Loyalty matters ... give it a shot.

Did I mention I gave up my Amazon prime.... Bezos jacking up the price like folks won’t make a sound decision... I don’t “need” Amazon .

As customers we only use Lyft in this house.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Yes and no... I got PayPal to refund me $1,700 on a transaction I would've otherwise been SOL because they saw I've had an account with them since 2002. Just has to be the right company.
Loyalty does count and not every person makes a decision based on a few bucks here and there.

If a company treats me well and has my back in situations.... they have my loyalty.

Example my oven went out after 5 years GE covered the $1k fix. It went out again.... they said no fix we will give you the new model $1200 off retail.

They didn't need to do any of the above but I explained the first time i outfitted my kitchen with their top stuff. They have all that on file and went above and beyond.

Loyalty matters ... give it a shot.

Did I mention I gave up my Amazon prime.... Bezos jacking up the price like folks won't make a sound decision... I don't "need" Amazon .

As customers we only use Lyft in this house.
I wasn't saying I don't believe in Loyalty. I just know the cheap skates we drive around on a daily basis don't appreciate us, and could give a shit who they use, if it saves them $2 bucks. Anytime I get the "I only use" speech, it's by older people with money who don't care if it's more, or some dooch kid who thinks he's cool because he like cares about like they way they treat their drivers.

By the way, few dollars here and there can mean $50-$60 or even more difference on a day like yesterday, or a 5 min wait vs. a 1.5 hour wait. I'll bet my 2 days take, not a single rider that was "Uber only" was paying more or waiting longer just to take an Uber instead of Lyft yesterday. On a regular day where it's a $1 to $3 difference, sure, I'm sure they use 1 exclusively, but mind you most people use 1 over a another because of past experiences, which can be complete coincidences, but you get 2 or 3 in a row, and suddenly "X" is a shit company who cant get anything right, so I'm going to "Y" and never using "X" again.

It's like us drivers. I love Uber and I love Lyft, because they make me money, so I use them both loyally ;), but who here is turning down a 300% PT Lyft ping to take a 1.3X Uber?

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
When I needed a ride to repair shop:

Opened uber rider app to check price....$14
Lyft app......$12 with 40% off

Guess which I chose?

Now, it’s not about the cheapest....unless it’s a good amount of savings on the rideshares dime.....Such as the example above. Since I drive, I don’t want a driver coming to me more than 7mins away. I’m a little caring that way. I do leave tip based on how far they had to drive to get to me.

But like most riders, I’m sure most will choose the brand that’s cheapest. If the prices are a couple bucks near each other, the shorter pickup time probably gets chosen.

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
Less choices lead to a simpler life for consumers. Not necessarily optimal for the wallet, but simpler and less mentally exhausting. Choice mentally exhausts as a person.
Makes sense to attain loyalty and make it work for them.

·
Premium Member
8,018 Posts
These two companies have misunderstood themselves. They think they're like a Google, or an Apple, or an Intel, and deserve fan following. No. They're nothing but a bunch of thieves on Market street and Berry street, who have somehow come up with a freaking app. Uber/Lyft app is not a tech marvel. It is not a UNIX kernel, or an Intel CPU.
Higher valuations if it is considered a tech company

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
I’ve been lucky to have nice clean rides thus far riding as a passenger. No strong odors, good or bad.....don’t want strong scents either way. Vacuumed clean. Clean windows. Overall nice newer cars that don’t have bunch of dents or bent fenders....broken headlight or taillight.

Now if I see the quality of the ride deteriorating on one platform, I’ll probably switch back and forth. Or do the driver shuffle.:)

Point being, in the pax eye’s the two are the same brand with more options.

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
Hahah, loyalty to Intel? Hahah.

ARM all the way, baby.

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
I am AMD loyal :D

I love RISCs like Sun SPARC and IBM POWER, but I can't afford those :( signal11
My first Unix was IRIX on a SGI Indigo. And you sure as hell can afford some of those. Just look on eBay.

Oh, did you know that you could buy SPARC based notebooks/laptops back in the day?

And an AMD loyalist. Hahaha. AMD is still around?

Just kidding. I supposed they got better at GPUs after they absorbed ATI.

·
Banned
1,151 Posts
My first Unix was IRIX on a SGI Indigo. And you sure as hell can afford some of those. Just look on eBay.

Oh, did you know that you could buy SPARC based notebooks/laptops back in the day?

And an AMD loyalist. Hahaha. AMD is still around?

Just kidding. I supposed they got better at GPUs after they absorbed ATI.
My AMD laptops are rocking lol. I like them. And yes I will get a RISC someday, a decent new one, not old one. I will save money for it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts