Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if you guys ever listen to a radio program called "Handel On The Law".
He's a lawyer in L.A. whose program is syndicated in hundreds of stations around the country and is mostly his own brand of comedy.
Anyway, last night I heard an ad for Uber and it was for riders and as he was reading it off, he actually said "And the good part is... NOOOOO Tipping".
Couldn't believe it... that Uber has actually stooped to that BS.
At least now it's all out in the open.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^^
It says that there is no "Need" to tip.
There's never a need to tip, ever.
But this is the first Uber ad that I've heard where they actually came out and said "NO tipping".
That's like a restaurant advertising no tipping, which would be completely ridiculous.
That "No need to tip" thing on Uber's site is old stuff, and we all know that it's been there forever, but it's never said specifically "NO" tipping.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
^^^
It says that there is no "Need" to tip.
There's never a need to tip, ever.
But this is the first Uber ad that I've heard where they actually came out and said "NO tipping".
That's like a restaurant advertising no tipping, which would be completely ridiculous.
That "No need to tip" thing on Uber's site is old stuff, and we all know that it's been there forever, but it's never said specifically "NO" tipping.
So you're saying more like a prohibition, almost along the lines of, "hey, don't you dare give 'em anything!" Must've misunderstood - I apologize.

Sigh... Uber doesn't care about us. :(

·
Registered
776 Posts
I heard tell (maybe here?) of a bar that has a sign over the exit:

You tipped your bartender for cracking open a beer for you.
How can you not tip the person who gets you home safely?
TIP YOUR DRIVER!

Obviously somebody struck a nerve with somebody else.;)
This could be the beginning of a great idea. Anybody heard of the "These Come From Trees" system ? Check it out at thesecomefromtrees.blogspot.com

As that site describes, people place those stickers in public restrooms in a "guerilla public service announcement" modality. What about Uber drivers getting out of their cars whenever they are in front of bars and restaurants, going into the place and doing a similar action with a sticker sign with the above text about tipping ?

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So you're saying more like a prohibition, almost along the lines of, "hey, don't you dare give 'em anything!" Must've misunderstood - I apologize.

Sigh... Uber doesn't care about us. :(
^^^
Yeah, I was listening pretty closely to the ad on Handle On The Law, and when I heard him say on the ad... "And the best part is NO tipping", I almost fell off the chair.
And of course they always say how they 'personally' take uber all the time and how much they enjoy it and the cool drivers and blah blah blah.
But when they come right out and say "NO tipping", I was floored.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
May be even better: Have a tip jar and stick such a sticker onto it
There are many threads dedicated to this idea. Everyone keeps bringing up that the UberGods might nix you if a PAX take a pic and sends it in.

My favorite was one about a "pity jar."

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
May be even better: Have a tip jar and stick such a sticker onto it
^^^
You know, that's a suggestion that's been bandied about on this site for a long time, but I wouldn't want to have it seem like I was begging.
To be perfectly honest, I really can't see passengers STIFFING (and, yes, I'll use that term) their driver... I just can't.
That's really low.
Of course, here in Vegas, this is a really 'tip-centric' town, but on the other hand we are so transient that your probability of picking up a long time Las Vegas resident isn't that high.
I drive livery... my car is a 2015 CTS Cadillac and by the sound of it, I make tips up the kazoo by comparison to the average or better Uber driver.
I just wonder how tipping is gonna be for drivers here when / if Uber starts up again.

Just a few months ago, a few drivers and I met and said that we'd make a bet as to who will make more tips on such and such a day, and show up that day with 'empty pockets'.
There were four of us and we all come on at 5:AM unless sometimes we want to start earlier, which the company doesn't frown on.
At the end of the day we met after a 10 hour day over at the driver's office where you figure up your business for the day and turn in your money to the company and the rest is yours... when they send it electronically on Fridays.

Anyway the tips went like this... $45o, $325, $200, and $199 (!).
Won't tell you which one I was, but I have a lot of regulars that come in through Signature and North Las Vegas airport on private planes.
Everybody loves to fly into McCarran, but during a really heavy demand time for private plane parking, literally 'wing to wing', they have to be diverted to N. Las Vegas airport.

I really sincerely hope that once Uber gets going here in town that the drivers start making some good tips.
Hey... there's enough business for all of us.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There are many threads dedicated to this idea. Everyone keeps bringing up that the UberGods might nix you if a PAX take a pic and sends it in.

^^^
Yup, there's always that danger of being under that cloud of some entitled, snooty, ******* passenger that wants to make waves.

·
Registered
776 Posts

Agree that having tip jar or signs in the car entails that risk. That is why the "put stickers in the bars and restaurants" type of campaign may be an option.

But of course drivers would have to be willing to do that work for the collective good of all drivers in their city. You put a sign in your car, you will get the individual benefit of it. You put a sign in a bar, all the drivers in your area would benefit. All what is needed is a few dozens drivers willing to pitch in an area, and the effect could be significant. And the wall space immediately on top of the urinals may be an example of a good place to start to reach the male passenger audience. I guess female drivers could also be doing a similar thing in bathroom stalls.

If any of you has a label maker, making these stickers is fairly easy. I suggest adding the word UBER to the original message above. So it becomes

TIP YOUR UBER DRIVER!

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

^^^
Gotta tell you this...
I learned about tipping cab drivers about 20 years ago when I locked myself out of my car and had to go home for my AAA card.
I walked home about two miles, but decided to call a cab on the way back to where my car was.
This old dude showed up and picked me up and when we got to my car, he said that he forgot to set the flag on his meter and he came all the way from Burbank to North Hollywood to pick me up.
I assessed the situation right away and knew what to do, irrespective of what the meter said, so I gave him 20 bux... and I never forgot that old guy... with a really thick New York accent.
Funny, but I think of him at least once a year for one reason or another... and sometimes twice... and just wonder where he is right now, if anywhere, or if he's turned into compost, as we all will one way or the other.
I remember it like it was ten minutes ago.
Nice old guy... but right now, I'm older than he was. LMAO!
And still driving the wheels off of the 'company car' and still sometimes hitting 140 Mph. on Summerlin Parkway. Haha.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Agree that having tip jar or signs in the car entails that risk. That is why the "put stickers in the bars and restaurants" type of campaign may be an option.

But of course drivers would have to be willing to do that work for the collective good of all drivers in their city. You put a sign in your car, you will get the individual benefit of it. You put a sign in a bar, all the drivers in your area would benefit. All what is needed is a few dozens drivers willing to pitch in an area, and the effect could be significant. And the wall space immediately on top of the urinals may be an example of a good place to start to reach the male passenger audience. I guess female drivers could also be doing a similar thing in bathroom stalls.

If any of you has a label maker, making these stickers is fairly easy. I suggest adding the word UBER to the original message above. So it becomes

TIP YOUR UBER DRIVER!
^^^
LOL @ "Above the urinals".
Yeh, hopefully they'll use the urinal in the bar before they use your car as a urinal. Hah!

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Why don't all drivers just take a pledge to put a tip jar or sign in the car. If enough do it and we educate the rider maybe they will start to tip. Half of them would if they knew they could
^^^
One of the things that I suggested months ago here was to put the form that says (at least here in Nevada) "Request For Benefits", which is usually Food Stamps or some kind of help... someplace where the passenger can actually see it.
That might actually be more effective than a tip jar, if the pax is able to actually put 2 and 2 together.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

^^^
Wow! The Fusion hybrid is one hell of a car.
A neighbor of mine bought one for his daughter to go back and forth to college... I drove it for about 15 miles and really LOVE it.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts