Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been lurking reading through these forums and something happened to me more than a few times with Uber and receiving requests. There has been such slow days lately and I found something weird with the requests. I literally would be sitting for thirty minutes or more in a spot waiting for requests, only to see an Uber driver literally picking up a passenger in front of me.

Ok I thought maybe it’s another ride share app, but today I got out my vehicle and curiously asked the driver if this was an Uber request? He said yes!

How is it that I’m sitting here for so long in front of the request and not get it???? This happened to me plenty times. How do you think Uber chooses its drivers?

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
I've been lurking reading through these forums and something happened to me more than a few times with Uber and receiving requests. There has been such slow days lately and I found something weird with the requests. I literally would be sitting for thirty minutes or more in a spot waiting for requests, only to see an Uber driver literally picking up a passenger in front of me.

Ok I thought maybe it's another ride share app, but today I got out my vehicle and curiously asked the driver if this was an Uber request? He said yes!

How is it that I'm sitting here for so long in front of the request and not get it???? This happened to me plenty times. How do you think Uber chooses its drivers?
Uber Pro Status, cancellation rates, acceptance rates, driver rating, ride history of what you have accepted before, cancelled before, etc. I am sure the list is endless. One thing is obviously clear... the ride request DOES NOT go to the closest driver.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting and thank you for your thoughts. I’m definitely no where near “cancellation” and I accept all rides, plus never cancel!

I truly thought it was whoever is the closest. Do you think they allocate the requests for how long you’ve been on the road?

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
Interesting and thank you for your thoughts. I'm definitely no where near "cancellation" and I accept all rides, plus never cancel!

I truly thought it was whoever is the closest. Do you think they allocate the requests for how long you've been on the road?
Like the others stated, it's about matching with the drivers and PAX history, closest means nothing. I get requests from 2-3 miles away and I can see other ants closer. I don't accept pool unless I'm close to quest or there is a huge surge attached. I also stopped accepting long requests after they cut the mileage rates.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Potentially. The thing is that nobody other than people working at Uber can give you a definitive answer to this. Everything else is just pure speculation.
I would highly doubt Uber's ground crew has any idea what goes on with the algorithms. That is on a very strict need to know basis. Most of their knowledge comes from their personal experience and the boiler plate answer sheets they are instructed to dish out.

Like the others stated, it's about matching with the drivers and PAX history, closest means nothing. I get requests from 2-3 miles away and I can see other ants closer. I don't accept pool unless I'm close to quest or there is a huge surge attached. I also stopped accepting long requests after they cut the mileage rates.
Ever since the unveiling of the new "and improved" Uber app, it has become extremely apparent to me that the main thing Uber improved, was its ability to use AI based algorithms for connecting riders and drivers.

I keep very detailed statistics and what is most apparent to me is that Uber does a cost-benefit analysis on a per ride basis. The system knows how long of a wait-time a rider will deem acceptable and then does a cost-benefit analysis comparing all drivers that fall within that wait-time window. Essentially it pits your incentive against other drivers incentives to see who gets what rides. Along with driver pattern and rider preference metrics, this is what determines what pings you get.

That said, I am sure different markets are handled in different ways.

Now that my market is switching incentive schemes, I am curious to see how things are going to evolve.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
.....I accept all rides, plus never cancel!
That could be part of it right there. The algorithm may have identified this and keeps you available to take the rides that nobody else will accept.

Always keep in mind that Uber's goal and your goal are different. Your goal is to make as much money as you can in the time that you drive. Uber's goal is to generate as much profit as they can. To that end, their goal is to always have a driver available when a rider wants a ride and to provide that driver at the least possible cost. There is some overlap between your goal and Uber's goal, but those goals are also at odds with each other.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Potentially. The thing is that nobody other than people working at Uber can give you a definitive answer to this. Everything else is just pure speculation.
I believe time on app and how much you have made plays a huge part. For example in my area an avg day nets you 10 to 12 an hr. A busy day 20 to 25. Slow 8 to 10 an hr. It's a small area so I personally know lots of drivers and we have compared notes. Every avg to slow day almost everyone of us makes the same an hr. Only times we dont match is in busy days with big surges. Or if on an avg day someone gets a long distance ride. My guess is there is an avg per hour the app allows if its not busy. So that other driver might have been a mile away but his weekly earning per hour was below yours

·
Registered
374 Posts
First thing I would have done is run the uber rider app to see if you are even visible... I have sat somewhere for over 15 min and run the app only to find I was not being shown. Another time I checked and the servers had not caught up to me and ended the previous ride. (even though I did.) then restarting my phone locked me out of my account for an hour. what a cluster f(*&.)

·
Premium Member
2,540 Posts
I believe time on app and how much you have made plays a huge part. For example in my area an avg day nets you 10 to 12 an hr. A busy day 20 to 25. Slow 8 to 10 an hr. It's a small area so I personally know lots of drivers and we have compared notes. Every avg to slow day almost everyone of us makes the same an hr. Only times we dont match is in busy days with big surges. Or if on an avg day someone gets a long distance ride. My guess is there is an avg per hour the app allows if its not busy. So that other driver might have been a mile away but his weekly earning per hour was below yours
Never have I read anything more legit than this ^^^^

·
Registered
21 Posts
ive been keeping track of mine and its about 2 rides per hour for me, regardless of whats going on. i can get a stacked ride and then nothing until the next hour. especially on quests.

·
Premium Member
8,045 Posts
I've been lurking reading through these forums and something happened to me more than a few times with Uber and receiving requests. There has been such slow days lately and I found something weird with the requests. I literally would be sitting for thirty minutes or more in a spot waiting for requests, only to see an Uber driver literally picking up a passenger in front of me.

Ok I thought maybe it's another ride share app, but today I got out my vehicle and curiously asked the driver if this was an Uber request? He said yes!

How is it that I'm sitting here for so long in front of the request and not get it???? This happened to me plenty times. How do you think Uber chooses its drivers?
If they are lacking drivers at that location, then you will most likely be the driver... if they have enough drivers , then Algo takes over.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I know Lyft ride requests don't go to the closest driver. My neighborhood is FULL of drivers and when I turn my app on I get a ping in a few minutes. Faster than Uber usually and there are no Uber drivers in my neighborhood the vast majority of the time. All I know is I have a 4.95 rating, I rarely cancel, I never take line rides so my acceptance rate is below 50% often around 30%, and I've been a driver for 6 months part time.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Interesting and thank you for your thoughts. I'm definitely no where near "cancellation" and I accept all rides, plus never cancel!

I truly thought it was whoever is the closest. Do you think they allocate the requests for how long you've been on the road?
Let's do some calculating.....what's ur driver rating?

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I swear I do better when I keep moving. And sometimes I think it’s best NOT to be the closest because the algo knows the average wait time for each rider, so it picks a driver far enough away to give that particular rider enough time to get ready. You have to think like an algorithm. And like others have pointed out, it’s a complicated set of data the algo uses, and Uber is constantly fussing with the numbers. So trying to figure it out is like trying to hit a moving target that is flying erratically. And I’d be willing to bet that even if they revealed the algorithm to us, it would take a computer running an algorithm of your own to be able to direct you in real time were to go and when, in order to game the system. It’s like the computers running Wall Street, where moving your computer one block closer to the exchange gives you a nanosecond advantage over the completion. It’s a computers world, and people simply don’t have a chance. Better to keep moving - crossing through as many data points as possible. A sitting duck gets run over by the ants.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts