Uber Drivers Forum banner

Have you ever did an event/game at New Era and would your do it again?

• Yes, and never again

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, but I am interested

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided last night to head down to the U2 concert last night at New Era field, and see what it was like.

Just in case anyone else is ever interested - https://www.uber.com/drive/upstate-ny/venues/new-era-field/

I got down to New Era before the concert ended. Entered the waiting area which is long line that you wait in which eventually breaks down in to Rows A B & C. You are put in a queue like an Airport Queue. Once I was in a Row, I quickly got a PAX. I texted my location, and they jumped in my car. Then I waited. Eventually they let you out of the lot (as they were directing traffic), and I was on my way at a 1.3 Boost. Right after I dropped off my PAX in Downtown Buffalo, I got another request at New Era. I declined, and turned off Uber, and head back toward New Era. This time, the concert was over, and the there was a Surge in the area of 3+. I could not wait to get back down there. I was on Bigtree about .25 miles from the lot, where I sat for 30+ minutes before getting back into the lot (about 1am). This is when I figured out why the area was surging.

So the ONLY place you are allowed to get PAX is the Uber pickup area. And the Uber Rider app ONLY allows PAX to request a ride once they are near the lot.

So what ends up happening is the lot is quickly emptied of cars, and because of the grid lock no new drivers/cars can make it into the lot. PAX are looking for rides, so it looks like it is surging. Once I got into the lot, along with many other cars, it was at 1.5 and I took my 2nd ride away from New Era.

If they were able to get cars/Drivers into the area easier it would probably never really surge, but because of the grid lock it is hard to get drivers in for the PAX.

Note sure I would do it again, it wasn't a bad experience. I just live 25 minutes away from New Era and just adds a lot of non PAX time to the night. Getting home at 2am when I have to work my real job at 8am just did not make it worth it to me.

Just curious if anyone else has experiences like this at events and their thoughts?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tried once, will not do it again.

watching police and assistants guiding traffic, watching the rows, watching the pedestrians, and finally PAX in the car, you still have no space to move.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Last night was my first experience, got my first PAX at 1125pm, regular fare out to the Garden Place hotel behind the airport. As soon as I dropped them off, surge was at 3.9x....decided against driving all the way back there to an empty lot. Got a quick Lyft ping and drove a girl to UB...as soon as I ended the ride, got along for the airport (which was at 4.5x surge on Uber) but my ping was for Lyft (100%). Took them all the way out to Hamburg. Since I was out there, was 8 minutes away from Uber Zone and caught another fare there, just pulled up in front of Danny's (@1.
7x) and took them to Camp Rd Holiday Inn...a quick $100 in less than 4 hours.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I saw this pop up in my promotion. I can't drive from ROC for that, not worth it. But it occurred to me I would not want to anyway. Heavy traffic is not worth it (though surging does make up for that). I dislike scenarios in general that limit my ability to move around efficiently!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.