Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Des Plaines St & Monroe St. If you’re familiar with this intersection Des Plaines St is one way going south. Monroe is closed over I-90/94 just to the west of Des Plaines. Monroe is also one way going east.

A whole line of vehicles going south on Des Plaines makes the stop at the red light, then completes the turn onto Monroe.

Except for one driver which happens to be right in front of me. With horns blaring, the driver refuses to turn until the light turns green.

The driver is a rideshare driver evident by the trade dress. At the next light (Jefferson), I look at the guy and he just shakes his head and grins.

This is something that I see much more of. Not turning left/right on a red light when it is legal to do so. Happens most frequently in the city but occasionally happens in the suburbs.

Bottom line is if you can safely make a turn on red and there are no signs that prohibit and/or cameras, make the turn!

·
Premium Member
3,523 Posts
Sorry Soda, as much as I dislike those drivers too, they do not have to turn. There are many reasons drivers don't turn on red. Sometimes a toot on the horn is all it takes. Sometimes not!!!

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Driver does not have to turn. Period.

Now to discuss those that fail to understand the world they live in:

If a driver is inching forward behind me. Don't care.
If a driver behind me honks. Guaranteed not turning.
Driver behind me honks continuously, I'll sit there when it turns green until I decide I want to move.

Idiot bully drivers in powerless positions are so stupid they fail to understand they are powerless. They also are the road rage type- endangering everyone on the road because of their bruised ego. Little children throw temper tantrums and these "adults" too.

Most sooner or later will realize the driver in front could really care less about your situation, is not breaking a law, is a smarter jerk than you, is giving correction to a child, is not in your hurry, does not take orders from you, is in a stronger position, is not so sensitive to go on a forum because was bothered by it that much.

...and expected other drivers to come to the rescue, give a pat on the back, and affirm bad behavior?
Get thicker skin if spending a lot of time on the roads as a driver for hire.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
They might have gotten one too many Traffic Cam Violations and gave up turning right on red for before, during, and after Lent. (Yeah yeah yeah we all know which App has notifications about that)

Not the case in the OP but there are some vehicles, I've read the reasons here--maybe organ donation related?--that say on them "This vehicle does not make right turns at red lights"

·
Registered
96 Posts
[QUOTE="DrinkSoda, post: 4682635,

Bottom line is if you can safely make a turn on red and there are no signs that prohibit and/or cameras, make the turn![/QUOTE]...

I here your point...I'm the driver and I will make a decision to turn on red. Nobody can make that decision for me...

·
Premium Member
5,897 Posts
Every once and a while I'll get stuck at a light. If something else took my waze away and I dont see a no right on red, ill go back to the nav and check before i turn. If the guy in front of you isnt/doesn't turn there may be a reason. As one of my passengers once said to some honking idiot "you'll live"...

·
Premium Member
226 Posts

Driver behind me honks continuously, I'll sit there when it turns green until I decide I want to move.

Idiot bully drivers in powerless positions are so stupid they fail to understand they are powerless. They also are the road rage type- endangering everyone on the road because of their bruised ego. Little children throw temper tantrums and these "adults" too.

Most sooner or later will realize the driver in front could really care less about your situation, is not breaking a law, is a smarter jerk than you, is giving correction to a child, is not in your hurry, does not take orders from you, is in a stronger position, is not so sensitive to go on a forum because was bothered by it that much.

...and expected other drivers to come to the rescue, give a pat on the back, and affirm bad behavior?
Seems like a tempter tantrum here too ha.

·
Premium Member
13,238 Posts
Driving is frustrating. People don't often do what you want or expect them to. In my experience, unless a firetruck or cop or ambulance needed to get by, it is less stressful to just wait it out. The smirk he gave you would suggest maybe he knew he got your goat. I suggest you Try not to let it get under your skin. You don't want that spill over into a bad pax experience.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. Also grant me a surge multiplier, a working charger, and a rematch at ORD for old times' sake.

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. Also grant me a surge multiplier, a working charger, and a rematch at ORD for old times' sake.
And grant you the fortune of having the rematch be some foreigners on vacation who are used to tipping!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Desplaines Street
City of Des Plaines, Illinois

What you do to solve that problem:

Go around the guy from the next lane over.

Incidentally, that's also how you solve the problem of the rideshare driver parked in a turn lane with flashers on, which happens constantly.

BTW, throwing on your flashers does not excuse stupid idiotic behavior, nor does it give you license to block traffic.

·
Registered
129 Posts
State Street
City of Chi-Raq, Illinois
Ok? And....

And this confirms that you're from the suburbs and don't belong in Chicago driving a bootleg livery vehicle.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
BTW, throwing on your flashers does not excuse stupid idiotic behavior, nor does it give you license to block traffic.
Oh, but it does! Drivers need to drive in the real world, where stupid idiotic behavior and blocked traffic are the norm. Others don't drive according to the Marquis of Queensberry.

You must be from the suburbs.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Oh, but it does! Drivers need to drive in the real world, where stupid idiotic behavior and blocked traffic are the norm. Others don't drive according to the Marquis of Queensberry.

You must be from the suburbs.
Stupid, idiotic driving behavior is the norm for tourists, sunday drivers, and other clowns that shouldn't be driving in big city traffic. People getting paid to be on the road need to know better and, again, using your flashers doesn't excuse anything. That's how you spot the rookies, which is about 98% of the cars with airplane stickers.

Expeditious pickup or drop? Fine, but you don't even need the flashers. You have guys sitting in a turn lane, sometimes no signals at all until the very second somebody rolls up behind them. Suddenly the flashers go on. Thanks for that notification, you clown. You should be delivering pizza in McHenry County where you live instead of posing as a for-hire driver.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I learned this a long time ago....just get the eff out of traffic. If your dropping or picking, even its a couple hundred feet, everyone is happy.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I learned this a long time ago....just get the eff out of traffic. If your dropping or picking, even its a couple hundred feet, everyone is happy.
That's what I'm saying. Don't throw on your flashers - just get the eff out of the way in the first place. Putting on hazards is just obnoxious and only adds to the annoyance, but that's what a lot of these idiots do and they seem to think that absolves them of any responsibility to not drive like a tourist.

·
Registered
123 Posts
That's what I'm saying. Don't throw on your flashers - just get the eff out of the way in the first place. Putting on hazards is just obnoxious and only adds to the annoyance, but that's what a lot of these idiots do and they seem to think that absolves them of any responsibility to not drive like a tourist.
Agree....get out of the way and there's no reason for hazards or signals.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Desplaines Street
City of Des Plaines, Illinois

What you do to solve that problem:

Go around the guy from the next lane over.

Incidentally, that's also how you solve the problem of the rideshare driver parked in a turn lane with flashers on, which happens constantly.

Saw a rideshare driver last night in the middle of the street with flashers going. Now I get why this happens when there's no way to get to the curb, but this guy was right next to an empty space that was big enough for 3 cars.

FWI, guys, that corner of Monroe and Desplaines is a LEFT on red, which is perfectly legal in Chicago as long as you're turning from a one way onto a one way.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts