Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a 1.9 surge in New Rochelle , pulled up the clock ran out. I should cancelled in retrospect. I received a message they would be out in a minute , they came out. Three drunks that smelled really bad , I asked him where they were going, they said NYC, I asked where in NYC, they said they the village. I said I didn't get notified of 45 minute warning he said it's one hour. I said not here, get out. Cancelled the ride and made a lot more after canceling that ride.

·
Premium Member
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hows it been @Roadmasta ? Doing decent at least I have been debating on maybe getting back out there a few weekends.
Just ok, my hours online very limited to my routine. Usually just 1-2 hours Friday night and 3-4 on Saturday night. Can make about 500+ a month after all expenses. They have a quest in lower Westchester which is a bonus with the hours I work. Not as good as last year. They changed how the destination filter works. It's definitely not as easy as last year. To many ants is the problem. Good luck

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
I would have taken it if it was 2.7 and over, then once out there use the destination to head back. But even with a 2.7 I would have still turned it down if I didn't have any filters left. Also the weather would have had to be clear not with last night rain.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
I had a 1.9 surge in New Rochelle , pulled up the clock ran out. I should cancelled in retrospect. I received a message they would be out in a minute , they came out. Three drunks that smelled really bad , I asked him where they were going, they said NYC, I asked where in NYC, they said they the village. I said I didn't get notified of 45 minute warning he said it's one hour. I said not here, get out. Cancelled the ride and made a lot more after canceling that ride.
It gives me great pleasure to cancel those trips, preferably in front of the customer. I haven't done a city trip in well over 6 months.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
don't you guys get in trouble for cancelling nyc trips? I mean cancelling here and there is fine but every nyc trip? heard stories in youtube and other forums about being deactivated for not picking up passengers.
Never tell pax, "I won't take you to NYC because I lose money on those rides." Say, "I'm sorry, I have a drs appointment and I won't have time to make it back from the city." Or sick kid or whatever. We all know these rides should go to TLC but we know how that goes.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
I generally will take a 45+ if it's at least a 2.0 multiplier. Using the New Rochelle to Port Washington example above, assuming a 45 minute ride one way (including moderate traffic) and a 24 mile ride one way, then if my math is correct it's roughly a $48 ride less tolls, gas, and wear and tear (some of which is tax deductible). Usually the ride back from Long Island (or Manhattan) for me has been faster (e.g. 30 minutes instead of 45) so I factor that in as well.

·
Premium Member
4,560 Posts
I generally will take a 45+ if it's at least a 2.0 multiplier. Using the New Rochelle to Port Washington example above, assuming a 45 minute ride one way (including moderate traffic) and a 24 mile ride one way, then if my math is correct it's roughly a $48 ride less tolls, gas, and wear and tear (some of which is tax deductible). Usually the ride back from Long Island (or Manhattan) for me has been faster (e.g. 30 minutes instead of 45) so I factor that in as well.
Why don't you use DF to get back or at least Uber in LI. Why dead mile back to Westchester.Doesn't make sense.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Why don't you use DF to get back or at least Uber in LI. Why dead mile back to Westchester.Doesn't make sense.
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I do try to use the DF when I'm on Long Island to get back. But the last couple of times I took someone to Kennedy, I drove to Valley Stream and waited about an hour with DF on (both Uber and Lyft) back to Westchester with no luck. Finally I got one that took me about 10 minutes into Queens and then of course I couldn't use the app any more. I understand people have more luck using DF toward Manhattan but I didn't want to go into Manhattan.

·
Premium Member
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No demand for long island to Westchester. It's just as rare to get Westchester to long island. DF to Manhattan is your best bet but not guaranteed to get past queens. Turn them down, they need to at least pay round trip tolls. It was $40 plus round trip tolls back in the 1980s for a taxi from Mamaroneck to LGA.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I do try to use the DF when I'm on Long Island to get back. But the last couple of times I took someone to Kennedy, I drove to Valley Stream and waited about an hour with DF on (both Uber and Lyft) back to Westchester with no luck. Finally I got one that took me about 10 minutes into Queens and then of course I couldn't use the app any more. I understand people have more luck using DF toward Manhattan but I didn't want to go into Manhattan.
DF for midtown and hold out for 45+. Once in Manhattan take Madison Avenue Bridge into the Bronx (it's free) then back north to Westchester.

·
Premium Member
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This was posted on a local site in lower Westchester.

Curious what people’s experience is with using Uber to go to LGA & JFK. My husband ordered one the other day and the driver refused to take him.

Good work driver

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
This was posted on a local site in lower Westchester.

Curious what people's experience is with using Uber to go to LGA & JFK. My husband ordered one the other day and the driver refused to take him.

Good work driver
Screw them! I just pulled up in new rochelle and the lady had a carry on, I ask her are you heading to the airport she says yes, jfk. I'm sorry but I have a DR appointment at 9am and if i take you I won't make it but I'll cancel and you won't be charged. Have a nice day!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.