Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I normally drive in Philly but on Mondays I'll drive in jersey so that I can purchase pick 6 lotto tix. Anyway... I get a ping for Trenton train station, I get there and it's 2 guys with 4 huge pieces of luggage. Mind you, I drive a Honda Civic...where would the luggage go? Why didn't they order an XL is what I asked them. Besides that I had to leave a pax on the side of the road one time because he had 1 piece of luggage that he refused to put in the back seat with him. What's up with these pax need to use my limited trunk space? I have a car seat in stroller in my trunk that takes up 75% of the space. Am I wrong for having limited cargo room?

·
Registered
31 Posts
My expectation is that a pax may bring 2-3 decently sized bags for perhaps a run to the airport. I have some personal stuff in my trunk, but it is 90% empty. If you plan to pick up pax, you should remove the stuff that's taking up so much trunk space when you're driving for Uber.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My expectation is that a pax may bring 2-3 decently sized bags for perhaps a run to the airport. I have some personal stuff in my trunk, but it is 90% empty. If you plan to pick up pax, you should remove the stuff that's taking up so much trunk space when you're driving for Uber.
You're nice. I need to have my car seat available for my convenience. There are pax that don't have car seats for their children. Also my own child needs his car seat when I'm done driving uber and have to pick him up from daycare. I'm not willing to inconvenience myself to make space available to pax who will not always need trunk space. I catch your drift tho.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Since you have that limitation, you probably should consider texting or calling pax to find out if they will need space for luggage. if they need more space than you have, let them know they should cancel and request another driver or an XL.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have had people try a put all kinds of crap in my little mazda. I do have a bookbag in the trunk, but i throw it in the front when i need to for space.

The best, was two ditzy girls at the home depot, who had 4, full size trashcans that "totally would fit" and "xl was surging, so we chose x". I drove right off on them.

A few instances of various ikea crap. Shelves in the boxes still, bedframes, one a hole wanted to tie a mattress to the roof once.

Someone once had an aquarium. Like maybe 55 gallons, complete with a chamelon. I thought that was kinda cool, we used the seatbelts to hold the aquarium in the back and she held the chameleon up front with her. It wasn't a long trip.

I've gotten the large suitcases before, i haven't had any that didn't fit so far but a few that were close.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You may want to check the partner agreement about offering car seats to passengers. I am pretty sure Uber does not want us doing that.
Are you making sense? So I'm supposed to let them ride with me without the car seat? And risk getting a ticket? Is this not like saying, uber doesn't want pax using the seat belts?...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Are you making sense? So I'm supposed to let them ride with me without the car seat? And risk getting a ticket? Is this not like saying, uber doesn't want pax using the seat belts?...
My point was, we are not supposed to take on the liability of transporting the children at all. As I understand, uber is piloting a program for drivers with car seats in certain areas. I do not know where.

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
You may want to check the partner agreement about offering car seats to passengers. I am pretty sure Uber does not want us doing that.
Ewww.. i couldn't let some random strangers kid use my kids carseat.
I normally drive in Philly but on Mondays I'll drive in jersey so that I can purchase pick 6 lotto tix. Anyway... I get a ping for Trenton train station, I get there and it's 2 guys with 4 huge pieces of luggage. Mind you, I drive a Honda Civic...where would the luggage go? Why didn't they order an XL is what I asked them. Besides that I had to leave a pax on the side of the road one time because he had 1 piece of luggage that he refused to put in the back seat with him. What's up with these pax need to use my limited trunk space? I have a car seat in stroller in my trunk that takes up 75% of the space. Am I wrong for having limited cargo room?
I don't think its too much to expect luggage space. You are probably in the minority as far as such limited trunk space. I have up to maybe 20% of my trunk space occupied usually less.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
If a PUC inspector randomly pulled you over and you had anything in your trunk other than a spare tire/equipment to change the tire, you'd be a issued a minimum of $100 ticket which uber will not pay. Just an FYI, you're a public utility, no different from a cab (except that you make no money). But that's beside the point...

·
Registered
111 Posts
If a PUC inspector randomly pulled you over and you had anything in your trunk other than a spare tire/equipment to change the tire, you'd be a issued a minimum of $100 ticket which uber will not pay. Just an FYI, you're a public utility, no different from a cab (except that you make no money). But that's beside the point...
What would a cabbie do, if someone left something in their crusty cab that ha squeaky brakes, a foul odor and a good shimmy above 55mph?

I don't doubt that a PUC could supplement their pension fund with a 100 fine directed at an uberx car with something in the trunk, but I do question the likelihood of such a stop. Prove I'm an uberx driver, this is just my buddy I'm giving a ride to ;). If no pax is in the car, well you would need a warrant to access my phone anyway, it appears I forgot my pin, and don't utilize a fingerprint lock

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'll take temporarily driving uberx pt to supplement income, over driving a, for all intent and purposes, yellow dumpster on wheels, full time and long term, any day ;)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
The trunk has to be pretty empty if you are driving Uber. You can take your chances but it always seems like somebody has something they want to put in the trunk at least one ride per day. I always take my golf clubs out when I am not playing golf now. Before Uber, I would always leave them in my trunk. You also have to be careful if you do any grocery shopping when you are driving Uber...where do you put the bags? You almost have to plan your Uber drive time and make sure you clean the trunk and fill up the tank before you go online. Anytime you go below 1/4 of a tank, go offline and fillup your gas tank. You never know when you are going to get that 100+ mile Uber request. The last thing you want to tell a PAX is that you have to stop for gas while they are in the car. Also, if you have to pee...go offline and pee. You never know when you are going to get that long long trip. The last thing you got to tell your PAX that you have to stop and pee while on a trip. Always be prepared for the worst case.

·
Registered
45 Posts
When I start my shift I fill the vehicle, run it through a wash, wipe down the inside and always empty the trunk. I keep a small cleaning kit in the glove box with just the bare essentials. If a pax has a small child and they do not have a car seat, then I have them cancel and request a new driver (who is willing to break the law). I guess I am in a better place in some ways as I primarily use the vehicle I drive for Uber for just that. I keep my other car for personal uses and hauling my personal stuff. I fully expect that if I order a vehicle that it should be able to fit my luggage (at least 1 full size, one medium carry on, and a laptop bag) when they arrive.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts